BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Those with 22" Winter Wheels / Tires - What is your experience?

Looking for people that's actually driven on 22" winter tires to see if you've changed your opinion about them after some real world experiences in the snow.

I know all about the whole narrower tire being better and smaller diameter being safer from winter potholes which is what I normally order.

This years situation is different because I already have brand new anthracite Vossen HF5 21"/22" wheels sitting in the basement. Originally was going to run them as my summer wheels but ended up liking the oem wheels more so then figured I'll use them as my winter setup. The only tires that comes in the sizes I would need are Pirelli Scorpion Winter in 295/35/21 and 315/30/22 size which has great reviews on Tirerack.

My other option would be to order the 21/21" OEM 808M winter wheel/tire package for the X5MC for 5K (inc. taxes and shipping). Not a fan of the way they look at all but two benefits is that they are smaller diameter/narrower in the rear being 21" (295 width vs 315). Up front would be the same size/width as the Vossens. The second benefit is that they come in the Michelin Alpin 5 snow tires which i absolutely love. Had them on my F80 M3 and they are the best snow tires I've had.

I live in NYC and typically we have pretty mild winters. Right now I am leaning towards just using he Vossens HF5's since they look better and its money already spent but a part of me want to know i got the best setup for that one day i have to drive the car in the snow. I've seen a good number of our canadian folks rolling on the 22" 315 snow tire setup and figure if those guys can handle it up there it shouldn't be a problem for NYC.

Thanks in advance,
Alan
      10-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

If your winters are mild and your roads not horrible, you'll be fine.
I'm west coast Canada, we don't get much snow and our roads are pretty good. On my last SUV I had 255/45/20 and 285/40/20 snow tires on a 9" wide front and 11" rear rim. It looked fantastic and while obviously wouldn't be as good as a square 255 setup, worked just fine in the few days of snow we had.
I'm going the same route with this car (275/315 stock sizes) and have 22" snow tires that'll go on once cold enough.
Appreciate 1
boneca1989.00
      10-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Here in the US, your choice is probably only the Pirelli Scorpion Winters in those sizes, so the question really is, who's run those tires in the winter? We haven't had even close to bad winters here in NY over the past 3 years, so I'm sure those tires will be just fine! I didn't like the lack of options with 22" winter tires, so I custom ordered a set of 20" flow formed wheels and will run 20" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's with those, but that's only because I'm anal :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Here in the US, your choice is probably only the Pirelli Scorpion Winters in those sizes, so the question really is, who's run those tires in the winter? We haven't had even close to bad winters here in NY over the past 3 years, so I'm sure those tires will be just fine! I didn't like the lack of options with 22" winter tires, so I custom ordered a set of 20" flow formed wheels and will run 20" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's with those, but that's only because I'm anal :-)
I had the Pirelli scorpion on my last suv, same thing it was the only option in the factory size. I don't love Pirelli but they worked fine in the limited snow we had.
Appreciate 1
bforbrian702.00
      10-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Looking for people that's actually driven on 22" winter tires to see if you've changed your opinion about them after some real world experiences in the snow.

I know all about the whole narrower tire being better and smaller diameter being safer from winter potholes which is what I normally order.

This years situation is different because I already have brand new anthracite Vossen HF5 21"/22" wheels sitting in the basement. Originally was going to run them as my summer wheels but ended up liking the oem wheels more so then figured I'll use them as my winter setup. The only tires that comes in the sizes I would need are Pirelli Scorpion Winter in 295/35/21 and 315/30/22 size which has great reviews on Tirerack.

My other option would be to order the 21/21" OEM 808M winter wheel/tire package for the X5MC for 5K (inc. taxes and shipping). Not a fan of the way they look at all but two benefits is that they are smaller diameter/narrower in the rear being 21" (295 width vs 315). Up front would be the same size/width as the Vossens. The second benefit is that they come in the Michelin Alpin 5 snow tires which i absolutely love. Had them on my F80 M3 and they are the best snow tires I've had.

I live in NYC and typically we have pretty mild winters. Right now I am leaning towards just using he Vossens HF5's since they look better and its money already spent but a part of me want to know i got the best setup for that one day i have to drive the car in the snow. I've seen a good number of our canadian folks rolling on the 22" 315 snow tire setup and figure if those guys can handle it up there it shouldn't be a problem for NYC.

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Hey Alan,
I ran my extra 742M w/Pirellis last winter and they were great, but they didn't see much snow.

I had them up for sale for forever, bc I'd prefer a 20" square setup, but my backup winter setups never panned out. BMW's setup is constantly on back order, and I really thought TR would have more options for such a popular model like the X5. So I'm reluctantly keeping them, unless I could find a replacement soon, but it's already mid-Oct.
Attached Images

'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Hey Alan,
I ran my extra 742M w/Pirellis last winter and they were great, but they didn't see much snow.

I had them up for sale for forever, bc I'd prefer a 20" square setup, but my backup winter setups never panned out. BMW's setup is constantly on back order, and I really thought TR would have more options for such a popular model like the X5. So I'm reluctantly keeping them, unless I could find a replacement soon, but it's already mid-Oct.
Kief how do you like your flooring? I'm looking at doing the same in our new home.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Kief
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Hey Alan,

Kief how do you like your flooring? I'm looking at doing the same in our new home.
Love it! Did it myself
Attached Images

'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      10-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Hey Alan,

Love it! Did it myself
side note- never understood those modular tiled floors for garages. seems like a maintenance nightmare.

whats the draw over tile, or a simple cement/epoxy floor?
      10-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Kief
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Hey Alan,

Love it! Did it myself
side note- never understood those modular tiled floors for garages. seems like a maintenance nightmare.

It's actually pretty easy to clean, just leaf blow the debris.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Hey Alan,

Love it! Did it myself

I prefer the looks of epoxy or polished concrete (or tile for that matter) but have read that these are great for keeping your garage floors always appearing clean. Dirt, debris, rain water from a wet car, slush etc fall through and leave a clean surface. When you want to, the debris can just be vacuumed out.

My current garage is unfinished with black heavy duty gym mats taking up roughly half of it. It needs to be swept or run the leaf blower on it daily to keep it looking clean. (Sorry for going off topic here OP!)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Hey Alan,

Hi Kief,

Any particular reason why you wanted to change them out after one season?

Alan
      10-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #12
Kief
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Alan,

Hi Kief,

Any particular reason why you wanted to change them out after one season?

Alan
I thought we talked about this when you were hunting for M50i deals...anyway long story short, my dealer mistakenly ordered the all black 742Ms when I ordered the bi-color 742Ms. I could have declined delivery and reordered, but they gave me even more of an aggressive discount off and a killer price via parts for the bi-color 742Ms. This was last Nov, so I needed to make a decision quick for the winter and decided to just use the black for my winter setup since BMW's 20" winter setup was backordered and TR had literally 2 wheels options at the time (looks like the same this season). Last year, if I had more time to make a decision I would have hunted for some 20" take offs, and just sold the black 742Ms wheels, but I had to act fast. Ideally, I would prefer a square BMW wheel I could rotate each season. But having said that, my black 742M winter setup looks killer in the winter!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:16 AM   #13
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Definitely looks killer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
scotchy210.00
Kief4419.50
      10-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
Igi.sem
IgisVlogs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sdrive35i M Package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kief View Post
hey alan,
i ran my extra 742m w/pirellis last winter and they were great, but they didn't see much snow.

I had them up for sale for forever, bc i'd prefer a 20" square setup, but my backup winter setups never panned out. Bmw's setup is constantly on back order, and i really thought tr would have more options for such a popular model like the x5. So i'm reluctantly keeping them, unless i could find a replacement soon, but it's already mid-oct.

are you selling those wheels with winter tires? Im looking for my f15
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:08 AM   #15
Kief
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igi.sem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kief View Post
hey alan,
i ran my extra 742m w/pirellis last winter and they were great, but they didn't see much snow.

I had them up for sale for forever, bc i'd prefer a 20" square setup, but my backup winter setups never panned out. Bmw's setup is constantly on back order, and i really thought tr would have more options for such a popular model like the x5. So i'm reluctantly keeping them, unless i could find a replacement soon, but it's already mid-oct.

are you selling those wheels with winter tires? Im looking for my f15
Won't fit your F15
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
YYCG05
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 50i

A little late to the party here, but I ran the same 22' sizing last winter as the summers and had no issue whatsoever. In fact relative to prior winter setups, I found the ride to be close to comparable as the summers which was rather surprising. Unfortunately I waited too long to swap this year and I'm stuck driving in snow for the last week here in Calgary with an expected low tomorrow of -20 celsius. My appt in 2 weeks and change can't come soon enough.

Here's a pic of the winters

Past - 14 BMW X5 35i, 11 BMW 550xi, 08 BMW 550i, 09 BMW 335i, 06 BMW 330i, 04 G35 Coupe
Appreciate 0