BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Do you regret not to have PPF on entire vehicle?

I am planning to keep X5 7-8 years, thus I am debating should I do full PFF or Front only (Full hood, full fenders, front bumper).

The price is drastically different.
Entire Vehicle - $6500.
Full front - $1900.

So, here is a question to X5 owners who did PPF front only, do you regret that you didn't do entire vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
jaynesj13
Rep
Drives: BMW X5; Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
I am planning to keep X5 7-8 years, thus I am debating should I do full PFF or Front only (Full hood, full fenders, front bumper).

The price is drastically different.
Entire Vehicle - $6500.
Full front - $1900.

So, here is a question to X5 owners who did PPF front only, do you regret that you didn't do entire vehicle?
My guy said you need to do the rockers and fender flairs as well, but he did not think full wrap was needed. So full front, side rockers, and fender flairs should keep you set!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I only do the front bumper on my cars but I only keep them for 3-4 years. If I was to keep my car for 7-8 years, I would do the full front (bumper, hood and mirrors). If there is an issue with rock chips on doors and fenders, then I would do those as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Tough choice, but I will share my experience.

I just dropped off my new car today for PPF. I was planning to just do full front + ceramic, but I ended up wrapping almost the entire car. I was really proud of myself at delivery for declining all of the usual upsells, but then I went hog wild on detailing.

Anyways - I’m getting full front, fenders, doors, rear bumper, side skirt. The only thing I’m not going with PPF on is top and rear quarter panel. I’m also getting 4 times ceramic coating + wheel coating and interior leather coating. Detailer is keeping it for two weeks, but they do very meticulous work.

My vehicle is Tanz Blue with ivory/blue extended merino, so it is a tough one to keep looking new. I’m also not leasing it, so it seemed like a way to protect my “investment”. We’ll see how I feel about it in 5-6 years. Most of the luxury vehicles in the shop seemed to be getting the full wrap though for what it’s worth.

Last edited by Lance Alot; 03-05-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post

I just dropped off my new car today for PPF. I was planning to just do full front + ceramic, but I ended up wrapping almost the entire car. I was really proud of myself at delivery for declining all of the usual upsells, but then I went hog wild on detailing.

Anyways - I’m getting full front, fenders, doors, rear bumper, side skirt. The only thing I’m not going with PPF on is top and rear quarter panel. I’m also getting 4 times ceramic coating + wheel coating and interior leather coating. Detailer is keeping it for two weeks, but they do very meticulous work.

My vehicle is Tanz Blue with ivory/blue extended merino, so it is a tough one to keep looking new. I’m also not leasing it, so it seemed like a way to protect me “investment”. We’ll see how I feel about it in 5-6 years. Most of the luxury vehicles in the shop seemed to be getting the full wrap though for what it’s worth.
Thanks, I also leaning towards to do entire vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I just wrapped the front end, hood, rockers and roof of my black sapphire metallic. Something about when fresh paint is waxed and shined just does it for me. I know the films are getting close but they just aren't the same. Unless I had a non metallic color that doesn't really pop I would avoid wrapping the whole thing save the money to make sure you can pay the comprehensive deductible if damage ever does occur to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post

My vehicle is Tanz Blue with ivory/blue extended merino, so it is a tough one to keep looking new. I’m also not leasing it, so it seemed like a way to protect my “investment”. We’ll see how I feel about it in 5-6 years. Most of the luxury vehicles in the shop seemed to be getting the full wrap though for what it’s worth.
What did that end up costing you?

I just had the PPF on the entire front only and 2 coats of ceramic. If I'm paying for a full wrap, I'm doing it a few years later and changing the entire color of the car at that point.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:25 PM   #8
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
What did that end up costing you?
I will caveat by saying everything here costs more than it should, as labor rates are quite high. I am paying $6500 all in. It is expensive, but I had a more popular shop that quoted $5K for just doing the front. Same hyped up shop charges $10K for the full body treatment.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:38 PM   #9
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I just wrapped the front and rocker panels, then ceramic coated the whole car. Still new to this, but so far it seems a good answer. Got TONS of pics and video of the wrap and coating process!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 01:11 AM   #10
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I just wrapped the front and rocker panels, then ceramic coated the whole car. Still new to this, but so far it seems a good answer. Got TONS of pics and video of the wrap and coating process!
Did you do that in Anchorage? Where was it? I am wrapping my car at CCA Motorsport.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Did you do that in Anchorage? Where was it? I am wrapping my car at CCA Motorsport.
Did it at Extreme Colors in Greenville, SC, right after the Performance Center Delivery. Much details in the PCD and road trip journal link in my sig!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      03-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #12
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

If you don't want headache, then do full wrap.

However, ppf can get damaged too and require maintenance such as put wax or conditioner.

Most damage you will get is the front end, and a pillar.

This is what I did

Front bumper, full hood, fender, a b and c pillar, rocker panel.

Pillars, if scratch or ding, it is not that easy to replace and it is expensive for how much they are...

I have buffers so I just take care of doors and quarter panels...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #13
Atl Fahrer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
I went with PPF on the full front end (Hood, Fenders, Bumper and Fender Flares), Rocker Panels, Rear Fender Flares and bottom 1/3 of doors. Then ceramic coated the entire outside of car and leather parts of the interior.

Just couldn't justify the +/-$6,000 to fully PPF and then $1,500 to ceramic coat.

My two cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
or you can base your decision of full wrap ppf to achieve the "frozen" look with the added bonus of protection
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-15-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #15
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Fahrer View Post
I went with PPF on the full front end (Hood, Fenders, Bumper and Fender Flares), Rocker Panels, Rear Fender Flares and bottom 1/3 of doors. Then ceramic coated the entire outside of car and leather parts of the interior.

Just couldn't justify the +/-$6,000 to fully PPF and then $1,500 to ceramic coat.

My two cents...
This sounds like essentially what I did except that I covered the entire door versus bottom portion only. Was worried about partial PPF showing lines — particularly with this paint color. It still ended costing me over $6K including the ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I did full front PPF and Ceramic pro gold.... Now that I have a tiny chip in the driver side door midway up, I'm kicking myself for not doing the full PPF
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:14 AM   #17
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for replies, I went for Xpell ultimate PPF on entire vehicle (except the roof) and then Xpell full ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #18
Busa Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M

I maintain my paint at a highervlevel to use any coatings or films. That being said on this vehicle just purchased last Saturday going to apply the film to the front bumper only. Got a small ding on the way home from the Dealer Saturday! Looks really bad on the mineral white especially. Already have it repaired but having trouble finding someone to do the work here locally. The person my Dealer uses and is one of the largest volume BMW sent me this yesterday.

"Hello Mr. XXXXXX Please forgive me but I need to respectfully decline this work. The pattern for this bumper is not great and the only way to make it fit is to hand cut the material as it is applied to the car. I just don't want to accept the liability."

Last edited by Busa Dave; 04-14-2021 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
"Hello Mr. XXXXXX Please forgive me but I need to respectfully decline this work. The pattern for this bumper is not great and the only way to make it fit is to hand cut the material as it is applied to the car. I just don't want to accept the liability."
I actually asked my detailer if he had to hand cut the ppf for my M Sport front bumper, and he said just some small trimming here and there. his experience on the plotter did most of the cut.

I hope you find a competent installer. lots of us have this area protected in ppf.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #20
januza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
I actually asked my detailer if he had to hand cut the ppf for my M Sport front bumper, and he said just some small trimming here and there. his experience on the plotter did most of the cut.

I hope you find a competent installer. lots of us have this area protected in ppf.
Wow so expensive in the States.. I paid around 2K USD in Shanghai, China for full wrap of my car incl front lights so I ended up doing both my cars
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #21
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since I've been driving an X5 for some months, I'll respond to my own question. A few days ago, I returned home from the grocery store (groceries in the trunk), and my wife requested me to pick her up. I opened the garage door and began to back up, and I was like WTF with my rear camera, no image. Then I heard something unusual. Guess what?
:facepalm: I forgot to close the trunk. The garage door scratched the trunk (it was totally open when I returned), and the clear bra was significantly damaged, so I chose to remove the entire piece of the bra, and I was fortunate - there was not a single mark under the bra. Yay.
Appreciate 2
DG-X5166.50
Rondi143.50