BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #23
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yes that's correct. I tried it and it is the fastest and easiest way is if you put as a tile on the homescreen. And like you mention there are more roads to lead to Rome. But I prefer to see my road to Rome on a big screen😜. So for mee large navigation screen and camera button. Or do you navigate full screen and then push the home button and afterwards the tile? This might still be easier and faster than the camera button. The home button is easier to locate

I have two other thoughts after reading the manual.

It also records the speed. This might be info you don't want to share with the police or the insurance company.

And the manual says that if recording is initiated it saves the 20 seconds before and the 20 second after. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Ha funny you mention that...it is driving me crazy with the squished map. I cannot bring myself to swapping out the media and phone tiles, so I think I have to stick with the other 2 button shortcuts.

To your point about the recording...I guess you are right about the speed info, but correct me if I am wrong...doesn't the vehicle "black box" record all that info (and more) in the event of an accident? Also, you can adjust the 20 sec before and 20 sec after...those are just the maximum times allow. I like it at 20 seconds before, since it gives me 20 seconds to hit the record button if some jack ass on the road does something stupid.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      08-09-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

I wish it could be activated by the horn. Much easier and more likely to be pressed. Our brains are already trained to press it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #25
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
I wish it could be activated by the horn. Much easier and more likely to be pressed. Our brains are already trained to press it.
Thats pretty much was implemented on Tesla's when it was suggested to Tesla by one of its users.
      03-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #26
VetteZ06
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 X40i

Quote:
Voice activated would be better. I hope BMW is listening 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:24 AM   #27
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteZ06 View Post
Quote:
Voice activated would be better. I hope BMW is listening 👍
Like that cursing should activate the recording? That'd be something!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #28
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

First off, I have Drive Recorder set for automatic & manual. I have successfully exported video to USB. When check out files on my PC, each "recording " has a folder with 2 files; one is the video & other is data, like speed & GPS coordinates.

My question is does anyone know of an app that will read & display both files?

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #29
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
what formats are both files? if video file is .mp4 and data file is .srt, VLC may be able to display both at the same time during playback, but this is only during playback. if you wanted to export or save the video showing the data "burned in" the video, you can try Dashware or Handbrake if above parameters are met.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

The driver recorder videos are in MPEG TS - transport stream format. VLC can play it natively or you could convert MPEG TS to MP4.

One could whip out their Python skills to write JSON-to-MPEG2 TS tag utility. I'm not aware of one though there was Atomic Parsely back in the days. Would need to map the JSON time fields to video tag IDs.

Here's the structure of the JSON Driver Recorder raw data:

[
{
"VIN":"YOUR VIN",
"entries":
[
{
"id": 1,
"date": "DD.MM.YYYY",
"time": "HH:MM:SS",
"velocity": 0.00,
"latitude": ##.####,
"longitude": 0.0000
},
{
"id": 2,
},
{
"id": 3,
},
{
"id": 4,
},

ETC

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #31
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Auricom ,

Thanks for your response. I 've viewed the video using VLC and have looked at the other file using a text reader. What I hoping to find is something like the DriveViewer does for DashCams which displays not only video, but also car's speed & location

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #32
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Auricom ,

Thanks for your response. I 've viewed the video using VLC and have looked at the other file using a text reader. What I hoping to find is something like the DriveViewer does for DashCams which displays not only video, but also car's speed & location
this driver recorder .... is it a US car spec only?
I can't find anything like this in my EU idrive
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #33
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragueX5 View Post
Quote:
Auricom ,

It's available for most markets and perhaps EU - I know it's available in UK and included in Parking Assist Plus or Technology Plus packages. It's also available through BMW ConnectedDrive as a subscription if your vehicle is equipped with Parking Assistance Parking (for vehicles prior to MY20 and Drive Recorder was not included)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #34
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Auricom ,

It's available for most markets and perhaps EU - I know it's available in UK and included in Parking Assist Plus or Technology Plus packages. It's also available through BMW ConnectedDrive as a subscription if your vehicle is equipped with Parking Assistance Parking (for vehicles prior to MY20 and Drive Recorder was not included)
m car is fully loaded, but nope no connected driver record... I start to believe its definitely something with EU blocking it due to private rights! same thing is that why we dobt get the live 3d view of a parked vehicle......

sad. EU bureaucracy is getting out of hands

note: the UK is not in the EU anymore
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #35
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Auricom ,

m car is fully loaded, but nope no connected driver record... I start to believe its definitely something with EU blocking it due to private rights! same thing is that why we dobt get the live 3d view of a parked vehicle......

sad. EU bureaucracy is getting out of hands

note: the UK is not in the EU anymore
No. I understand that the UK isn't in the EU anymore.

Just listing that it was available there and what packages Drive Recorder was listed under so that if you were interested in investigating or verify on your local build site or ordering guide.

Since I'm the USA, I'm not interested in staying up to date on option availability for the EU market, what's excluded or included or what local regulations restricted availability.

Appreciate 0