01-02-2024, 11:34 AM   #133
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg91 View Post
Ha- I have 12 acres—an electric lawn mower won’t cut it — literally.
Now that is a show off. Can I have 1/4 acre in a corner for a garage??? 😂
LDT1556.00
      01-02-2024, 01:04 PM   #134
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg91 View Post
Ha- I have 12 acres—an electric lawn mower won’t cut it — literally.
You'd need a battery the size of school bus.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:36 AM   #135
gtadams67
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 Xdrive50e

X5 XDrive50e Remorse

I have to say I feel the remorse as well. Even truning off all the driver assistance this car wants to drive like grandma! Not trying to say I am a thrill driver but I was in the left lane with the cruise on and someone in the right lane slowed to make a a right turn. My car slammed on the breaks for no reason. I get they need to be conservative with all the self driving tech, but, it is beyond protective. I know it is a good car and a lot of posts are good at saying get used to it an enjoy it... it is just tough when you know it is a BMW and you should be able to drive it and not have it act like its a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. At least the ride is great and for the month of January I got over 100MPG!
V/R
Glen
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 10:17 PM   #136
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtadams67 View Post
I get they need to be conservative with all the self driving tech, but, it is beyond protective. I know it is a good car and a lot of posts are good at saying get used to it an enjoy it... it is just tough when you know it is a BMW and you should be able to drive it and not have it act like its a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
I'm not sure humans are ready for a non-conservative self-driving technology.

I love DAP in traffic, and even on long hauls, but I NEVER trust it 100%, and usually hover the brake pedal, especially in traffic.

If you want it to drive like a BMW, take control and enjoy it!
Appreciate 1
CGG171.50
      02-10-2024, 07:40 AM   #137
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtadams67 View Post
I have to say I feel the remorse as well. Even truning off all the driver assistance this car wants to drive like grandma! Not trying to say I am a thrill driver but I was in the left lane with the cruise on and someone in the right lane slowed to make a a right turn. My car slammed on the breaks for no reason. I get they need to be conservative with all the self driving tech, but, it is beyond protective. I know it is a good car and a lot of posts are good at saying get used to it an enjoy it... it is just tough when you know it is a BMW and you should be able to drive it and not have it act like its a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. At least the ride is great and for the month of January I got over 100MPG!
V/R
Glen
Reduce the automatic braking distance /sensitivity in settings. Also you can power through any automatic braking warning with the accelerator or turn it off altogether.

I have a 2022 M4 that I wring out. And I have a 2021 X5 45e that I can wring performance and handling out of when needed with the paddles and anticipating what drive mode I need to be in. Most of the non-traction-related driver intervention aids are reduced or turned if in both my cars.

I’d expect the 50e to be better than the 45e. But drivers need to know their cars and how to tweak settings to get what they want - it’s worth the one-time effort to do that.
      02-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #138
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.megyesi View Post
Happy New Years Eve!

Thought I'd end this posting with an update. I decided to keep the 50e (even with the hitch assembly). The ride and overall gas mileage are just too awesome to me. Also, I spoke with my sales guy who sold me the X5, and he said that on his X4 M-Competition, he gets like 8MPG and has serious buyers remorse. I guess that is all I needed to hear to be at peace with my decision.
Quite the pile-up in this thread!

I agree with you, OP. I also feel your pain, living here in the DC suburbs where there's more and more traffic, yet actually fewer road lanes due to taking them away for bike lanes along with tons of cops, speed cameras, idiot drivers, people blowing red lights all the time, idiot pedestrians, and on and on.

There's just no place to really enjoy power around here, but you can still enjoy a fine ride and handling, good steering response, brakes, a great engine soundtrack, and still decent fuel efficiency. I don't think there's a better package out there than the X5.

I had actually planned to trade my E93 335i for an F80 M3 back in the day, but had no idea how or where I would ever be able to properly enjoy the car and thought it might be frustrating to drive. If I could never really enjoy the 300hp in the N55, then what the heck would I do with 400+? Life happened and we traded our X5 instead for a Chevy Suburban, so never did get the M3 and don't really care at this point either.

Might still one day check the M box, but not until we move out of this sh**hole for Florida. 3.5 years and counting.

Enjoy the 50e!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:24 PM   #139
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Personally, I think they should have detuned the 6 cylinder for regular. Our Expedition makes 375hp out of its 3.5L Ecoboost on regular. That's a WAY bigger deal to me.

That said, to be totally honest, if I was buying an X7, I'd probably be more inclined to get the lower power I6 vs the V8. There's a size where stuff stops being fun, and the x7 might be over that size, or at least feel like it is. Our Expedition absolutely is too big to be fun. The X5, still small enough to be fun when pushed. Not as fun as an R53 Mini Cooper S, but still more fun than trudging along in a Lexus.
Ah another full-size SUV owner here! I agree completely with this. This is why I bought specifically a Suburban with the 5.3L V8 rather than a GMC Denali or Escalade with the 6.2L V8, because the 5.3 is still tuned for regular. You can still put regular in the 6.2, but it detunes so why bother?

Mazda has done the above with their new 3.3L Inline-6 engine, with both a 280hp regular grade fuel tune, and then the optional tune for 340hp on premium grade fuel getting unlocked in the higher end models. I don't think it performs nearly as well as the B58, but they seem to be pretty darned efficient. Interesting new cross-shop option.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:39 PM   #140
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Quite the pile-up in this thread!

I agree with you, OP. I also feel your pain, living here in the DC suburbs where there's more and more traffic, yet actually fewer road lanes due to taking them away for bike lanes along with tons of cops, speed cameras, idiot drivers, people blowing red lights all the time, idiot pedestrians, and on and on.

There's just no place to really enjoy power around here, but you can still enjoy a fine ride and handling, good steering response, brakes, a great engine soundtrack, and still decent fuel efficiency. I don't think there's a better package out there than the X5.

I had actually planned to trade my E93 335i for an F80 M3 back in the day, but had no idea how or where I would ever be able to properly enjoy the car and thought it might be frustrating to drive. If I could never really enjoy the 300hp in the N55, then what the heck would I do with 400+? Life happened and we traded our X5 instead for a Chevy Suburban, so never did get the M3 and don't really care at this point either.

Might still one day check the M box, but not until we move out of this sh**hole for Florida. 3.5 years and counting.

Enjoy the 50e!
HDPE?? This kind of track events only cuse $250 to enter. I would say it is the best way, the most affordable way, to enjoy high power and speed legally and safety.
SteVTEC206.00
      02-10-2024, 01:39 PM   #141
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Re: Costco gas and operating costs

I rarely if ever have to wait at our area Costco pumps. Most people's fuel doors are on the left, and will stack up 4 or 5 deep even though there might be a lane with hardly any queue for right side fuel doors. I just pull my big Burban in there and pull the long hose over. People are either lazy, or just stupid and can't figure out how to do that. I rarely if ever fuel up my Suburban on the "proper" side.

As for Costco gas quality, this is anecdotal but my 2011 E93 335i with 86k miles has random stall out issues while rolling to a stop or at slow speeds (going into a parking ******* whenever it has any "discount brand" premium grade fuel in it, such as Free State (cash only chain) and also Costco. It's been a real head-scratcher. It's never thrown a code for a misfire or anything and recently had HPFP replaced, but the problem goes away completely and never happens so long as we put name brand Shell/Exxon/Sunoco premium grade fuel in it.

Good to know that Costco is Top-Tier (wasn't sure) but ground truth here is there's something "off" about these and other discount fuel places that's causing my N55 to hiccup. We just stick with Shell for it and it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:53 PM   #142
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
HDPE?? This kind of track events only cuse $250 to enter. I would say it is the best way, the most affordable way, to enjoy high power and speed legally and safety.
Right, that would be about the only way, but no time. 2 hours each way with traffic to Summit Point or Dominion, or even further down to VIR or up to the Poconos. Would love to do it someday, but not "itching" for it that bad. Might be different if I actually lived close to some of these places.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 02:04 AM   #143
ab987
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M3, 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.00]
2020 BMW X3 M  [9.25]
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
2016 Mini Cooper  [0.00]
This is actually strange, I'm also in Seattle (living in the city) and have the exact opposite sentiment. I've had my X3M for about 8 months now and lately am less than enjoying it. For the 6 months that I had it in Texas, I loved every moment. Now I can't remember the last time I was able to use more than 5000rpm, the high boost threshold is horrible for city driving, the street quality means that the car is rattling me to death, and the consistent 14-15mpg is brutal.

Lately I've been very intensely considering a 45e or a 50e, it seems like the absolute perfect all around no-compromises car to road trip, camp, and drive in the city in, all while making the occasional drive in the M3 that much more engaging. Sometimes you want to be beat up, but when it's your only choice, it gets really old fast.

OP, you made the right choice. You have an amazing all-rounder that will help you comfortably justify a compromised, fun, dramatic car without guilt.
Appreciate 3
Mattl0806990.50
P111573.50
eluded3048.50
      03-04-2024, 11:23 PM   #144
Yesir
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1954 ford f100

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.megyesi View Post
Happy New Years Eve!

Thought I'd end this posting with an update. I decided to keep the 50e (even with the hitch assembly). The ride and overall gas mileage are just too awesome to me. Also, I spoke with my sales guy who sold me the X5, and he said that on his X4 M-Competition, he gets like 8MPG and has serious buyers remorse. I guess that is all I needed to hear to be at peace with my decision.

I would consider buying it off of you if you decide you want something else. I am in the area and thinking about buying 2024 x5 "wife's dream car". No worries if not, I like having the money lol
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:15 PM   #145
Bahram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW i8 Roadster

Garage List
Let's be honest. No one "needs" an SUV (sorry SAV) to begin with, yet an expensive one that runs on summer performance tires.

Have had many X5s, along many other BMW sedans, coups, convertibles, in the past 20 years. Almost always ordered them to my own taste with almost every option. I found X5 is a great combination of prestige, comfort, and space.

If you want a BMW SUV, in my point of view, X3 will not cut it. The size is not right. I prefer to have a wagon instead. I also think every generation of X5 is nicer looking than the same generation X3. You will get more options and better options (let's say sound or leather).

This is the last model year of current X3. Do you really want to have a 7 year old looking car next year. Your X5 at least will stay the same for next three years.
Appreciate 2
eluded3048.50
Mattl0806990.50
      03-06-2024, 05:54 PM   #146
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahram View Post
Your X5 at least will stay the same for next three years.
That's a shame.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 08:46 AM   #147
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

How is the 50e running, no issues? I still cannot part with my x5d, but 50e makes me want the new technology....
Appreciate 0