05-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
ggilsbmw
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M - C

SVR v X6M Comp

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
All,
I'm considering getting a Range Rover Sport SVR Carbon Edition. I value the opinions of those on the forum. I'm wanting thoughts on the SVR compared to the X6M Comp.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

I test drove the SVR, I noticed there's a bit of lag compared to the X5MC. But at this range it's personal preferences that help make the final decision and you can't go wrong with either.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

If you favor comfort over handling then lean towards the SVR. For handling and performance its all X6M
      05-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
If you favor comfort over handling then lean towards the SVR. For handling and performance its all X6M
This!!!

Also my personally experience if you want reliability as well stick with BMW. Not sure what it is but I've never had or heard of a Range Rover not having electrical issues of some sort, even simple things like windows working correctly. lol but to each their own here.

If you are just looking for that wow factor don't care about much of details or simply leasing you can't pick a wrong one.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
ggilsbmw
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M - C

One thing that concerns me is the technology in the infotainment center of the SVR. It seems a generation behind with no CarPlay over the air. I assume that they are close to a model refresh thus waiting for the 2022 or 2023 SVR before they include the new technology in the recently released Defender.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

When I was buying my X5, then also considered RRS (not the SVR but that´s not important at the moment) and what I did not like was lagging infotainment system
And I even heard from the salesman that sometimes there are problems with bluetooth connection etc.

But just for the looks, both are great
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #7
mokest03
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilsbmw View Post
All,
I'm considering getting a Range Rover Sport SVR Carbon Edition. I value the opinions of those on the forum. I'm wanting thoughts on the SVR compared to the X6M Comp.

Thanks!!!
I had RRS Supercharged V8, not the SVR. Ride quality is much better in a RRS. Infotainment is much worse. I wasn't happy about the lack of after market options on the RRS either. BMW service is much better, could just be my local LR dealer.
2018 440I GG
2019 M550i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
I've always loved Range Rovers, and often alternated between BMW and Rover. However, after my last experience, I would never buy another one - and urge anyone else to do the same.

My last Rover spent over 35% of its life in the shop trying to find electrical issues that stopped the doors properly unlocking. Rover dragged their feet so much with legal action, I eventually just ate the loss and traded out.

As a brand - they don't care about their customers at all, and you will certainly have electrical problems (I did on two of my four recent cars). If you can live with that, and the shockingly bad infotainment systems, they're great cars. When they work. Oh, and the headlights in the US are really terrible, and avoid the heated windshield like the plague - it ruins the little night vision you do get.

I traded my full size Autobiography supercharged for my current X6MC. The X6MC is certainly less comfortable, but massively more fun to drive, and the technology is vastly superior.

Also, bear in mind new models of the Sport and Fullsize are imminent, so depreciation will be even more terrifying than usual....
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #9
Gumdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

I took delivery of my carbon edition svr about 2 months ago. I came from a m4, so really can't compare it to x5m/6m. The infotainment system is definitely a tad glitchy and not very intuitive, but the engine note more than makes up for it. I absolutely love the car so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokest03 View Post
BMW service is much better, could just be my local LR dealer.
That is one thing that really impressed me about my BMW dealership. When I walk in everyone that is important to me knows me and calls me by name. I kind of feel like Norm in Cheers. I've never had a dealership do that before or even notice me after the sell.
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:21 AM   #11
Bayareabmwguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mclaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokest03 View Post
BMW service is much better, could just be my local LR dealer.
That is one thing that really impressed me about my BMW dealership. When I walk in everyone that is important to me knows me and calls me by name. I kind of feel like Norm in Cheers. I've never had a dealership do that before or even notice me after the sell.
Completely agree. Land Rover has horrible customer service. BMW customer service blows them away. I've recently dumped my '17 RRSS for a '21 X5MC and the service I received was like night and day.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayareabmwguy View Post
Completely agree. Land Rover has horrible customer service. BMW customer service blows them away. I've recently dumped my '17 RRSS for a '21 X5MC and the service I received was like night and day.
+1, they are unreliable and bad service, great combo. Tried to sell me air conditioning anti-mold cleaning for $500 and told me I would get billed at my lease return, 12 month old car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #13
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

Im not a fan of the RR quality.

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #14
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I've only owned one RR back in 2012 and it only lasted less than a year. The car just suddenly stalled while doing 65 mph on a busy highway. Had to pull over and restart the car. Took over a month of back and forth before Land Rover agreed to buyback the vehicle. Never again.
      06-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #15
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

BMW X6M vs any Jaguar product. How long would any reasonably informed person need to think about that one.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #16
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

I would not touch any Range Rover or Jaguar product.

Also, the SVR can't compete with the X6M in terms of speed, handling, and tech. Not to mention service experience. BMW has free maintenance and way more dealerships to choose from. Virtually no wait for a loaner.

0-60 is almost a full second faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #17
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
I would not touch any Range Rover or Jaguar product.

Also, the SVR can't compete with the X6M in terms of speed, handling, and tech. Not to mention service experience. BMW has free maintenance and way more dealerships to choose from. Virtually no wait for a loaner.

0-60 is almost a full second faster.
To me the main benefit of the SVR is the interior quality, comfort and the exterior design. The X6M is engine and sporty handling…

I believe the 2016-2018 era RRS had many electrical issues that seem to be sorted out now. Also, as others have said there is a much bigger dealer network for BMW. I used to have a Jaguar XJ - I really liked it and I had no issues with my dealer. Always got a loaner with no problems. No major mechanical issues in 6 years of owning it - 2012-2018, when I decided to get an SUV. RRS at the time had the electrical issues so went with Cayenne S. Last year, when I wanted to get a RRS V8, they were too expensive for my budget. But everyone I know who has a recent RR really likes it.

I would not just dismiss LR outright. They make some good products that look great. JMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #18
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
To me the main benefit of the SVR is the interior quality, comfort and the exterior design. The X6M is engine and sporty handling…

I believe the 2016-2018 era RRS had many electrical issues that seem to be sorted out now. Also, as others have said there is a much bigger dealer network for BMW. I used to have a Jaguar XJ - I really liked it and I had no issues with my dealer. Always got a loaner with no problems. No major mechanical issues in 6 years of owning it - 2012-2018, when I decided to get an SUV. RRS at the time had the electrical issues so went with Cayenne S. Last year, when I wanted to get a RRS V8, they were too expensive for my budget. But everyone I know who has a recent RR really likes it.

I would not just dismiss LR outright. They make some good products that look great. JMHO.
Have you tried the infotainment in the RR SVR? Its a complete mess. Laggy, unintuitive, and requires multiple button presses to do anything.

That alone for me was a deal breaker. Add that its the same price as an M and a full second slower and it has a history of poor reliability kills the idea even more.

Exterior design is subjective. I personally think the X6M is the second most handsome SUV on the market after the Urus.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:

Have you tried the infotainment in the RR SVR? Its a complete mess. Laggy, unintuitive, and requires multiple button presses to do anything.

That alone for me was a deal breaker. Add that its the same price as an M and a full second slower and it has a history of poor reliability kills the idea even more.

Exterior design is subjective. I personally think the X6M is the second most handsome SUV on the market after the Urus.
The infotainment is laggy compared to iDrive, but it's much improved in the current model. Yes, if you prefer the looks of the X6M to all SUVs other than Urus then it's a no brainer. I am assuming the OP prefers the styling of the RRS SVR. That's one of it's USPs. My 2 cents worth.

Curious what the OP decided to buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #20
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
The infotainment is laggy compared to iDrive, but it's much improved in the current model. Yes, if you prefer the looks of the X6M to all SUVs other than Urus then it's a no brainer. I am assuming the OP prefers the styling of the RRS SVR. That's one of it's USPs. My 2 cents worth.

Curious what the OP decided to buy.
I just took my X5m in for break in service so I can finally compare the 2 experiences completely. Unless you love the styling of the RRS so much you’re not actually considering the X5m as a comp, stay away. Your JLR product will NEED service and you will be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #21
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

JLR products look amazing, but I couldn't bring myself to get one. The aesthetics v engineering balance is way off. I'm biased, but every time I see a RR, I think the guy who bought it just wanted something pretty and didn't care about the substance of the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
ed41341.50