BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #1
viridium
Rep
Drives: N/A

2015 3-series stayed 2 years with dealer and sold as certified pre-own w/ 134 miles

Hi, I'm looking at the Carfax for a used 2015 3-series 328i x-drive that I'm considering buying. I'm surprised that the vehicle was at the dealer for two years before being sold directly as a certified pre-owned with a mere 134 miles on board.

Is that a bad sign? If a car is in storage for that long, doesn't it start to go bad? Why would a dealer do such a thing?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...3B5G55FNS12648
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 06:01 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridium View Post
Hi, I'm looking at the Carfax for a used 2015 3-series 328i x-drive that I'm considering buying. I'm surprised that the vehicle was at the dealer for two years before being sold directly as a certified pre-owned with a mere 134 miles on board.

Is that a bad sign? If a car is in storage for that long, doesn't it start to go bad? Why would a dealer do such a thing?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...3B5G55FNS12648
It was a long time ago. I wouldn’t worry about the sitting at the dealership. They probably had it on a charger and looks like they serviced it once a year. I am guessing demand was low for it and they wouldn’t reduce the price to sell it for a couple of years. No real problems reported since it was sold

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it if it was a car I was interested in.
      09-15-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
viridium
Rep
Drives: N/A

Thank you, I do like it a lot.

One source of hesitation is the beige interior. While I like it from the pictures on Carvana, I can't help but think it won't sell that easily. Do you have any insights? Sorry to piggyback this question on the current thread, but I think it's a little excessive to start a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:48 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridium View Post
Thank you, I do like it a lot.

One source of hesitation is the beige interior. While I like it from the pictures on Carvana, I can't help but think it won't sell that easily. Do you have any insights? Sorry to piggyback this question on the current thread, but I think it's a little excessive to start a new thread.
If you have kids beige interiors are hard to clean. As an adult only car you probably would be ok with leather cleaner a couple of times a year.
      09-15-2023, 11:04 PM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I bought a VW with 40k miles that was a diesel EPA buy back, it sat on the lot for 2 years before it was allowed to be sold. A/C compressor went bad, tires, and two calipers were shot but 50k miles later it has been okay overall. I know its not quite the same but there were some issues from sitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 11:54 PM   #6
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I bought a VW with 40k miles that was a diesel EPA buy back, it sat on the lot for 2 years before it was allowed to be sold. A/C compressor went bad, tires, and two calipers were shot but 50k miles later it has been okay overall. I know its not quite the same but there were some issues from sitting.
Were those issues that were noted at purchase or sometime along the way?

If the latter, I’m not sure you can deduce that they were caused by it being inactive for a few years.
Appreciate 0