10-22-2023, 01:42 AM   #1
Mike_P
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06 M Sport 35D XDrive

2020 X6 G06 import from Japan - EU conversion

Hello guys.

My 2020 X6 G06 will soon be imported from Japan to Cyprus (EU) and i have few questions.
Called the local BMW delership and gave the VIN number so they find the car. They said i could book a software update appointment as soon as it arrives ( in 3 weeks time ) to the latest version.
All OK so far.

- Navigation : They told me that it might be impossible to import the Cyprus maps
- Radio : Japan AM/FM frequencies are different than EU so i might need a 3rd party convertion receiver (hardware)
- Menu Language: Can all the i drive menu swtch to English (including voice command etc)?
- Will it suppot Android auto?

Thank you in advance
Michael

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:06 AM   #2
rabbit1986
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3, 2016 D3 biturbo

Just wondering, was it that much cheaper ?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
You could do this yourself by buying an OBD Enet cable for about $25 off eBay Download a free copy of ESys off a link found on the BMW forums and the latest Psdzdata files.

Connect to the car & download a copy of the FA (Vehicle Order) and SVT files.
Make a copy of the FA and edit/remove the country code from Japan (807) and change the language version from Japanese (852) to English (853) and add 880 for onboard literature into English. Once this done simply recode all the car ECU’s using the modified FA should take no more than 15 mins to do all the ECU’s.
I have done it a number of times removing the nanny state code 810 from models here in Australia and it’s amazing the difference

You are correct the FM radio frequency band for Japan is different from the ROW ie 80Mhz to 92Mhz? vs 88Mhz to 108Mhz. AM band should be the same but the step may be 10Hz vs 9Hz for Europe.Does Cyprus hav DAB? I would rather try coding the RAM ECU first using the modified FA before adding any hardware adapters etc or using online radio services using AA or CarPlay.

My other concern is Navigation Connected Drive Services will require a visit to the dealer if you’re going to use the x6 to its full capabilities ie buy a new set of maps for Europe?and a new SIM card for your active connection to BMW.

There are a number of threads on this forum pertaining to US military personnel that have purchased export BMWs and taken them to Europe and Korea and had issues connecting the cars to receive BMW online services and even getting Apps such as CarPlay and AA to work as an alternative to using onboard navigation which doesn’t have the local maps installed. Read these before going to the local dealership so you know what is possible at their level before escalating it up to corporate level
Mike_P20.50
      10-23-2023, 01:08 AM   #4
Mike_P
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit1986 View Post
Just wondering, was it that much cheaper ?
Hi
In Cyprus (EU) we are Right Hand Drive.
So the major used car markets are Japan & UK.
UK was really a bargain before Brexit but now with the additional 19% VAT and 10% import tax above car price its not worth so much.
My 10/2020 X6 G06 M Sport from Japan with almost 20K EUR extras if bought new would cost around 110K EUR and i got it for the 2/3 of that price approx.
Generally i prefer buying a good second hand car that otherwise would have been out of my reach.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:12 AM   #5
Mike_P
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
You could do this yourself by buying an OBD Enet cable for about $25 off eBay Download a free copy of ESys off a link found on the BMW forums and the latest Psdzdata files.

Connect to the car & download a copy of the FA (Vehicle Order) and SVT files.
Make a copy of the FA and edit/remove the country code from Japan (807) and change the language version from Japanese (852) to English (853) and add 880 for onboard literature into English. Once this done simply recode all the car ECU’s using the modified FA should take no more than 15 mins to do all the ECU’s.
I have done it a number of times removing the nanny state code 810 from models here in Australia and it’s amazing the difference

You are correct the FM radio frequency band for Japan is different from the ROW ie 80Mhz to 92Mhz? vs 88Mhz to 108Mhz. AM band should be the same but the step may be 10Hz vs 9Hz for Europe.Does Cyprus hav DAB? I would rather try coding the RAM ECU first using the modified FA before adding any hardware adapters etc or using online radio services using AA or CarPlay.

My other concern is Navigation Connected Drive Services will require a visit to the dealer if you’re going to use the x6 to its full capabilities ie buy a new set of maps for Europe?and a new SIM card for your active connection to BMW.

There are a number of threads on this forum pertaining to US military personnel that have purchased export BMWs and taken them to Europe and Korea and had issues connecting the cars to receive BMW online services and even getting Apps such as CarPlay and AA to work as an alternative to using onboard navigation which doesn’t have the local maps installed. Read these before going to the local dealership so you know what is possible at their level before escalating it up to corporate level
Thank you so much for your assistance.
Will do the language change at the dealership along with the latest version update.
Worse case scenario i buy the maps of Cyprus extra.

No DAB here yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:26 AM   #6
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
PM me your last 7 numbers/letters of your VIN and I will be able to tell you what you can request the dealer to do. My concern is the dealer can only do what Munich allows them to do using ISTA P/D software? They do not have access to E Sys software which is used to initially configure the vehicle at the factory Is this your first BMW?
      10-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #7
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_P View Post
- Navigation : They told me that it might be impossible to import the Cyprus maps
Its possible to do OEM map conversion to Europe. The dealership should be able to order the conversion FSC. If they cant i can provide the conversion FSC to Europe

Quote:
- Radio : Japan AM/FM frequencies are different than EU so i might need a 3rd party convertion receiver (hardware)

- Menu Language: Can all the i drive menu swtch to English (including voice command etc)?
You can do as Bambazonke wrote. Main units are MGU and RAM that needs coding for frequency.
For language if it doesnt work then you will have to flash the MGU using modified FA since the MGU has different swfl for languages. You will also have to code the Kombi.

Quote:
- Will it suppot Android auto?
Do you have carplay? Both carplay and android auto can be obatined using OEM FSC or using provision method.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 02:59 AM   #8
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
Its possible to do OEM map conversion to Europe. The dealership should be able to order the conversion FSC. If they cant i can provide the conversion FSC to Europe

You can do as Bambazonke wrote. Main units are MGU and RAM that needs coding for frequency.
For language if it doesnt work then you will have to flash the MGU using modified FA since the MGU has different swfl for languages. You will also have to code the Kombi.

Do you have carplay? Both carplay and android auto can be obatined using OEM FSC or using provision method.
I asked the OP to PM me the VIN so I could generate an FA xml file and run a SVT comparison to determine what ECU's are impacted by removing the country code 807 (Japan). They have some strange warning "gongs" and restrictions. I personally think it should not be an issue as it is classified as a ROW model unlike the US & Canadian models. I ran a check changing my X5 from Australia to Japan and the RAM unit looks like it is different from EU models but as I said before there are plenty of radio apps on Carplay AA that can be used instead
      10-28-2023, 08:18 AM   #9
Mike_P
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep

Thank you guys. They said at the dealership they will try to fully convert it. Will let you know in few weeks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:10 AM   #10
Ermists21
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f44 gc 2020

Quote:
Thank you guys. They said at the dealership they will try to fully convert it. Will let you know in few weeks
Hey Mike,
This is Ermis from Cyprus also.
I have imported a bmw m235i from japan too and I would like to ask you what changes have u made at pilakoutas? If you want give a call at 96345838 or just reply here.
Thank you
Appreciate 0