BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #111
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
TXSTYLE's Avatar
United_States
5885
Rep
2,929
Posts

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The GYM! (The Burbs - N TX)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^ I bought some little "hot box" that I can put soaked chips into, then it just slides around on the top of the grill to add some flavor. I like that it's on top so I can move it around as needed, and only have to flip the lid off right before firing up the grill to add fresh chips. It was in the $5-15 range, probably at Home Depot.
Yep. Same principle.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #112
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
ouchie's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
Forgot to post these

Top sirloins dry brined, reverse seared.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #113
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
539
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: a car
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C.
Forgot to post these

Top sirloins dry brined, reverse seared.
That came out really good.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #114
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
103
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

My grill is on its way out, it came with our house when we bought it and its simply falling apart, rust all over the place. I did my best to get 2 years out of it but i would like to get a new one for next year. I would like something with as much stainless steel as possible, any recommendations?

PS: Gas grills only
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #115
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9572
Rep
8,227
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
Forgot to post these

Top sirloins dry brined, reverse seared.
When you do that reverse, are you dropping them in an iron skillet, or doing the sear outside on a grill?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #116
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
Forgot to post these

Top sirloins dry brined, reverse seared.
When you do that reverse, are you dropping them in an iron skillet, or doing the sear outside on a grill?
These were seared on a cast iron pan.

I sometimes do it on the grill too though.
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #117
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9572
Rep
8,227
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

<wheels spinning in head, stomach growling> I think I may have been doing it wrong all these years. I have a hankering and it can only be satisfied with more cow flesh!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #118
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
<wheels spinning in head, stomach growling> I think I may have been doing it wrong all these years. I have a hankering and it can only be satisfied with more cow flesh!

this is the method I use
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...se_steaks.html
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #119
Alfisti
Major
1214
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
My grill is on its way out, it came with our house when we bought it and its simply falling apart, rust all over the place. I did my best to get 2 years out of it but i would like to get a new one for next year. I would like something with as much stainless steel as possible, any recommendations?

PS: Gas grills only
Ni idea if the quality now is the same as it was 10 years ago but my Summit series Weber that came with the house is now near 10 years old. It is in spectacular shape, no rust anywhere, built like a freakin tank. To top it off, it was not covered for the first 7 years of it's life.

Exceedingly expensive but damn, it is dead set like new after 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #120
fcman
Lieutenant
157
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
I don't really bother with the whole reverse sear thing but I just started trying out extended dry brining (2+ hours) and it really kicks the steaks up a notch.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #121
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
103
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Ni idea if the quality now is the same as it was 10 years ago but my Summit series Weber that came with the house is now near 10 years old. It is in spectacular shape, no rust anywhere, built like a freakin tank. To top it off, it was not covered for the first 7 years of it's life.

Exceedingly expensive but damn, it is dead set like new after 10 years.
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #122
Bobble
Major
Bobble's Avatar
No_Country
54
Rep
1,233
Posts

Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving
To be honest those grills seem to have a love/hate relationship due to cost. I know 3 people who have them and 2 would not buy again because of the cost, the other wants to divorce his wife and marry the summit! What do you want in a grill and maybe you'll get some other recs. I personally do about half my stuff on the grill and the other in a cheap smoker but have been doing more and more smoking lately with the warm water in the west and the amount of quality fish available.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #123
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
103
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Honestly, I love to grill...I grill practically throughout the whole year. In my case I care a lot about build quality and space. My wife loves to put together kebabs and I love to grill skirt and porterhouse steaks. Again im looking for a good quality grill that will do a great job w/ heat control and also last more than 7 years lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #124
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
9572
Rep
8,227
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

So, say you wanted to cook a nice steak for the wife on Thursday. You don't currently have anything stored away in a freezer somewhere, and don't have a cow in the back yard. Where would you go buy something like a nice rib-eye short of an overnight order from the internet?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #125
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
111
Rep
571
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Two ribeyes I recently made. Sous vide at 128* for an hour then seared with a torch. Medium rare in the middle with minimal gray band.



Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #126
Alfisti
Major
1214
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Expensive is an understatement. You are the third person to tell me about this grill, I'll start saving
TBH I would not buy one, I am not sure they are worth the cash but as i said before, it is in ridiculous shape for it's age. I cannot speak highly enough of the build quality, every part is fuck off heavy, and i mean EVERY part.

I see no reason why i would not get another 20 years out of it, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you buy one young you may never, ever need another grill.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #127
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
103
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
TBH I would not buy one, I am not sure they are worth the cash but as i said before, it is in ridiculous shape for it's age. I cannot speak highly enough of the build quality, every part is fuck off heavy, and i mean EVERY part.

I see no reason why i would not get another 20 years out of it, which is absolutely ridiculous. If you buy one young you may never, ever need another grill.
haha yea that's the goal, I'm 27 now and I wanna be using this thing till im 40!


Im going to keep an eye open, hopefully there's one on clearance somewhere at the end of the season..if not then ill pick one up next spring
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #128
M.A.R.C.
Second Lieutenant
M.A.R.C.'s Avatar
Jamaica
26
Rep
223
Posts

Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
Two ribeyes I recently made. Sous vide at 128* for an hour then seared with a torch. Medium rare in the middle with minimal gray band.



That's awesome!

What sous vide apparatus are you using?
__________________
Marc
2011 Space Grey Metallic E90 M3 DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #129
FJJB
New Member
1
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 - 6MT & ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, say you wanted to cook a nice steak for the wife on Thursday. You don't currently have anything stored away in a freezer somewhere, and don't have a cow in the back yard. Where would you go buy something like a nice rib-eye short of an overnight order from the internet?
Whole Foods? Not the best ever, but since moving to the burbs I've been consistently impressed with the quality the offerings at my local store.

Falls short of the best specialty butchers, but great for a last minute steak night decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #130
fcman
Lieutenant
157
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, say you wanted to cook a nice steak for the wife on Thursday. You don't currently have anything stored away in a freezer somewhere, and don't have a cow in the back yard. Where would you go buy something like a nice rib-eye short of an overnight order from the internet?
Yeah as stated above me Whole Foods sells dry aged beef and it's pretty much the best you're going to get from a grocer. A local butcher may or may not be better, really depends on the butcher. My Costco sells really nice Prime tenderloins, strips, and ribeyes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #131
Alfisti
Major
1214
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
haha yea that's the goal, I'm 27 now and I wanna be using this thing till im 40!


Im going to keep an eye open, hopefully there's one on clearance somewhere at the end of the season..if not then ill pick one up next spring
40?? That's 13 years, mine is nearly that old, I seriously think you could be OK until 60.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #132
Bobble
Major
Bobble's Avatar
No_Country
54
Rep
1,233
Posts

Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
Honestly, I love to grill...I grill practically throughout the whole year. In my case I care a lot about build quality and space. My wife loves to put together kebabs and I love to grill skirt and porterhouse steaks. Again im looking for a good quality grill that will do a great job w/ heat control and also last more than 7 years lol.
Just about any quality, non home improvement store type that sits in the front of the store, will last that long with a little effort and maintenance. Build quality is subjective, I've seen some trashed Weber, Viking and DCS grills coasting thousands,my brother in law trashed his $3K Viking 45" full stainless in just 5 years, I spent a whole day, took it apart power washed the carcass, degreased it, cleaned and polished the stainless and we replaced 2 burners that were done, it's like new but he'll trash it again. I'd shop around at some dedicated BBQ outlets get an idea of what features you like and shop the internet. From what you say you really don't need anything special so keep an open mind on brands and buy the feature set you like.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST