BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #815
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

I feel like this wood stained fence is a catch 22 to clean...

I tried pressure washing and it started chipping away at the surface even when I was careful.

If I spray on a diluted bleach solution, won't it make uneven light spots where the spray was more concentrated?

Also it seems like the bottoms of the posts will eventually rot to death, not even sure what to do about that. The area doesn't get a whole lot of sun as you can tell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #816
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

5 days, are you kidding me?

Rain is coming in Sunday/Monday, so spread Bandini 21-7-14. Figure Tuesday after work I'll need to cut again. Blades are up at #4 now
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 11:36 PM   #817
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

ended up scalping the lawn to get rid of all that dead grass over the winter. looks so much better after i went over it with my lawn sweeper!

my hydrangeas are starting to wake up!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:38 AM   #818
dmatre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrum View Post
I feel like this wood stained fence is a catch 22 to clean...

I tried pressure washing and it started chipping away at the surface even when I was careful.

If I spray on a diluted bleach solution, won't it make uneven light spots where the spray was more concentrated?

Also it seems like the bottoms of the posts will eventually rot to death, not even sure what to do about that. The area doesn't get a whole lot of sun as you can tell.
I don't know about untreated wood, but I recently did our stained deck with a light bleach solution (purchased in a hose-mounted spray bottle).

I did it early morning (in the shade), wet everything down evenly, agitated with a stiff brush, then rinsed completely. Never let it dry on the wood. Results were perfect, with no streaking/spotting.

I would think as long as everything stays wet until rinsing, you shouldn't get any spotting.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #819
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: JTR

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. First and last time Iíll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator. Soil is just a little too dry, so Iíll water today and try it again tomorrow if that goes well, fertilizer and I think Iíve finally got a decent base for now. Previous owners just didnít keep up with it. 7.5 30 gallon yard bags and about 12 hours of back breaking work later...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE5898.00
RickFLM44806.00

04-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #820
TXSTYLE
BIGMARCUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I've been using and highly recommend Miracle-Gro Stakes! Those things are beastly! My Rose bush I just planted last Spring and then staked it in January is foking exploding with Blooms! I also used one on my young Red Crape Myrtle. They also make a organic variety I am using in my Orange and Peach Trees.

04-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #821
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I've been using and highly recommend Miracle-Gro Stakes! Those things are beastly! My Rose bush I just planted last Spring and then staked it in January is foking exploding with Blooms! I also used one on my young Red Crape Myrtle. They also make a organic variety I am using in my Orange and Peach Trees.
I have also used those and they do work really well. Can be a minor PITA to get them into the ground without breaking if there are a lot of roots nearby but they provide nourishment for a long time.
      04-04-2020, 07:17 PM   #822
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I've been struggling with the food production in my garden. Today I was worried maybe pH was wrong so I got a little digital tester and some NPK testers

Turns out my pH is great at 7.0 but there's almost no nutrients Put about 20lbs of triple-15 thru the garden and several surrounding plants
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #823
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. First and last time Iíll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator.
yup! i know that from first hand experience. that's why the following year i said i will buy tools to make the job easier so i bought a dethather, aerator, spreader and a lawn sweeper!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 2
RickFLM44806.00

04-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #824
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just finished dethatching the yard by hand. First and last time Iíll be doing that without some horsepower. Up next is aerator. Soil is just a little too dry, so Iíll water today and try it again tomorrow if that goes well, fertilizer and I think Iíve finally got a decent base for now. Previous owners just didnít keep up with it. 7.5 30 gallon yard bags and about 12 hours of back breaking work later...
You donít have St. Augustine do you? St. Augustine does not require dethatching on a regular basis. I could see the need once if the lawn had been neglected but otherwise it should not be needed regularly. That would make next year even easier.

(Disregard if you donít have St. Augustine.)
MKSixer23344.00

04-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #825
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You donít have St. Augustine do you? St. Augustine does not require dethatching on a regular basis. I could see the need once if the lawn had been neglected but otherwise it should not be needed regularly. That would make next year even easier.

(Disregard if you donít have St. Augustine.)
I do have St. Augustine (with a mix of Centipede in spots I think). This is my first time really trying to be serious with a yard, so Iím totally figuring this out as I go. The previous owners definitely did not stay on top of it (built 06/2016 and we are second owners as of 02/2020), so Iím just trying to get to a base at this point. Did not know about not dethatching St. Augustine, though!

Iíve got a few bald spots that I think will come together with a fertilizer. Was hoping to aerate today, but weíve been getting some off and on rain. I do have some big bald spots (one from a parked boat and two more from unchecked ant mansions). I think I may need some sod for those.

Bottom line, I have no idea what Iím doing!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #826
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do have St. Augustine (with a mix of Centipede in spots I think). This is my first time really trying to be serious with a yard, so Iím totally figuring this out as I go. The previous owners definitely did not stay on top of it (built 06/2016 and we are second owners as of 02/2020), so Iím just trying to get to a base at this point. Did not know about not dethatching St. Augustine, though!

Iíve got a few bald spots that I think will come together with a fertilizer. Was hoping to aerate today, but weíve been getting some off and on rain. I do have some big bald spots (one from a parked boat and two more from unchecked ant mansions). I think I may need some sod for those.

Bottom line, I have no idea what Iím doing!
The best way to deal with bald spots on St. Augustine is to drop some sod down (and water the new sod well until it gets rooted). If you're talking about some small areas it shouldn't be too costly. They would eventually fill in on their own but chances are a lot of what gets filled in are weeds. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to use seeds with St. Augustine and always patch with sod.
      04-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #827
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
The best way to deal with bald spots on St. Augustine is to drop some sod down (and water the new sod well until it gets rooted). If you're talking about some small areas it shouldn't be too costly. They would eventually fill in on their own but chances are a lot of what gets filled in are weeds. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to use seeds with St. Augustine and always patch with sod.
In that same vein, I've also heard to not overseed St. Augustine. That was my initial thought in a hope to thicken up some of the thin areas, but the internet tells me that is a no-no.

Looking at the shape of dead behind the driveway, I'd say he had about a 18 ft boat parked in the same spot for a considerable amount of time. The yard is thick surrounding it, but there's a "V" shape of really just dry dirt that shows no sign of life. Sod will be the way to go for that.

I think my final battle to get to that base will be weed control in the islands under the three large oaks I have. With as mature as they are, I'd imagine I'd be fine to blast some Round-Up or something, but I'm thinking it may just be a forever battle. Would like to come up with a way to have a bit more of a permanent solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #828
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Dig the whole ring/island out. Put any one of the many weed barriers over the top. Put back the border and edge, then enjoy until next year
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #829
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Dig the whole ring/island out. Put any one of the many weed barriers over the top. Put back the border and edge, then enjoy until next year
Even with trees inside? Iíd love to do that, but Iím afraid of what it would do to the trees.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #830
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Even with trees inside? I’d love to do that, but I’m afraid of what it would do to the trees.
Dig all the covering and weeds, but just an inch or two deep, so you can lay the liner on a flat. All my trees have rocks inside the scalloped borders, that's almost digging I put liner, then a layer of bark to hold some moisture for the tree, then top with stream rocks to keep down the weeds. Those that do come thru the top are pretty easy to pull
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #831
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nice day today so I had to start edging just so that next time edging gets easier and easier
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #832
earlgrey69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I am no lawn expert but i have never heard of dethatching a St Augustine lawn. I agree with Rick on the bald spots, best solution is to drop some more sod in. It looks like you have a lot of shade in your front lawn. There are certain varieties of St Augustine that do better in shade. If its not correct those areas will continue to thin out and you will start to get weeds.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM44806.00

04-07-2020, 12:16 AM   #833
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlgrey69 View Post
I am no lawn expert but i have never heard of dethatching a St Augustine lawn. I agree with Rick on the bald spots, best solution is to drop some more sod in. It looks like you have a lot of shade in your front lawn. There are certain varieties of St Augustine that do better in shade. If its not correct those areas will continue to thin out and you will start to get weeds.
i've never seen Allyn Hayne "The lawncare nut" ever dethatch his lawn. i've seen him do it on other's people's lawn but not on his own and i believe he has St Augustine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #834
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
I don't know about untreated wood, but I recently did our stained deck with a light bleach solution (purchased in a hose-mounted spray bottle).

I did it early morning (in the shade), wet everything down evenly, agitated with a stiff brush, then rinsed completely. Never let it dry on the wood. Results were perfect, with no streaking/spotting.

I would think as long as everything stays wet until rinsing, you shouldn't get any spotting.
Interesting, thanks for the input I'll try it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #835
bosstones
Major
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
this is the one i bought.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-S...BoCmTQQAvD_BwE

yup pull behind dethatcher. you need to set yours up right if it's making grooves into your lawn. in should be scraping the thatch area only. i have a 1/2 acre so using an electric version would take to long.
Ah...weed shotgun. I had one but the foot thing broke pretty quickly and rendered the whole thing useless. Worked awesome up until that point. Fiskars supposedly has a really good return/exchange policy but it was OBE for me.

I have the same type of dethatching implement for my lawn tractor. I admit that I was VERY aggressive with it when I last used it. The grooves were mostly because of some uneven-ness in my backyard......coupled w/ my aggressiveness. lol I didn't mind so much because I was going to overseed some areas at that time.

My yard is about 0.75 acres. I aborted using the electric dethatcher but not because of yard size. Warm temps this week (even though they drop next week) spiked up the soil temps and I've noticed that I'm already gettings some weeds coming up. Today, I decided to switch applications of the prill fert/Dimension vs the tank sprayer Dimension. I just finished throwing down the prills at a fair rate (~ 1.1lbs/1000sq ft of N). That's still than the label called for but more N than I usually put down. I don't mind so much since it's the 1st feeding since October and I don't want the Pre-M to be too diluted (I used about 0.8lbs/1000sq ft less than the label). It's supposed to rain in a little bit so it'll all get watered in.
      04-12-2020, 02:14 AM   #836
Our03z4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

As a licensed and certified pro of almost 20 years I've never seen a lawn that needs dethatching. (This is on Fescue/Rye) Get plenty of calls from homeowners thinking they do but when the lawn is checked it's fine. You can have up to 1/2inch of thatch before it's an issue. It actually helps the lawn below that level. With out it you'll break the crowns off just by walking over it, it plays an important role. That said for southern turf types I have no clue. Also if you aerate every year that also gets rid of thatch.

Don't trust everything you see on YouTube, most of the guys are just glorified home owners. Once you take care of thousands of properties and go to school for it you know what's right and wrong.

You guys put an amazing amount of effort into your properties, I would be honored to have you all as my neighbor! Keep it up
Appreciate 1
bosstones483.00