BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2022, 11:09 AM   #1
sunsguy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

USB and mp3 music on a 2022 - USB not mounting

Full disclosure - yes I've searched all over for a solution and tried many things (see below). Still no luck.

==

So I just got a 2022 X5 and I'm having a hell of a time with with the USB ports trying to recognize a drive to play my mp3.

I think there has to be some trick I'm not seeing because I've tried two different drives in two different X5's (one was a car I was looking at buying, wrote it off as the time as a flash drive issue when it didn't work) and now the one I have and just took delivery of.

Here is the odd thing - So I have a ratty old 8gb USB 2.0/A drive of my daughters (bright pink lol) and it has about 250 songs on it. Pop it in and it plays fine. It's formatted NTFS.

I bought a USB 3.0/C 64 GB drive and copied the EXACT SAME MUSIC to it in the same location (root of the drive) and it won't show up as available in iDrive (the drive doesn't appear on the media list) in either the USB C slot in the armrest or the USB A slot near the cupholder (the drive is one of those with dual connectors). I have another (just USB A) drive that also won't work/show up.

There's nothing else on the drive either. In terms of contents it's the same as the ratty old drive that works. I did even try moving the files into a folder so they weren't on the root of the drive. Still nothing.

I've tried formatting as exFAT, Fat32 (to a 32gb partition of course) and using a mac to format the drive (as opposed to the windows machine I normally use) and NTFS like the drive that works. I've used various disk utilities to format it and not just disk manager and nothing seems to work.

It's not a music issue, or a location on the drive issue since the old 8gb drive works fine. And remember this is happening with two different flash drives that I cant' get to work - only my very old one does.

Also I know the new drive is actually being read or recognized in some way just because the little light on it starts flashing up when it's plugged in.

Any thoughts or tricks I haven't yet tried?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
sunsguy
Rep

Found some more details out and a possible resolution

USB 2.0 drives seem to have no issues. I have my old one that works and found another and it mounted instantly upon insert. I got a USB C to USB A adapter on amazon and hooked it up in the center console to my old USB 2.0 drive and all is well.

I know others have said they have USB 3.0/3.1 flash drives that work without issues, but I can't get two of mine (different brands, one is a USB A and the other a USB C) to load at all. So there's something to it, I just don't know what.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 12:02 AM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

How is the drive formatted?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
sunsguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
How is the drive formatted?
I tried every format. FAT, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS. On two separate drives (different sizes, makers). I even tried using different software to format them too.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 06:13 AM   #5
45 EEE
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45 e

Had somewhere a problem(don`t remember anymore) with MBR and GPT.Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
sunsguy
Rep

For now I've "solved" my issue by getting a USB C to A connector for the center console (I want to use that over the USB in the cupholder) and another new USB 2.0 drive. Might actually be the best solution because you can get a splitter that splits a USB C connection with two cords, one USB C (which you can hook a phone charger to) and one USB A (for my USB stick/mp3 drive). Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0