BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
tubbyc
Rep
Drives: mazda3

RW Carbon Side Skirt Extensions Installation Question

Just received a pair of RW Carbon side skirt extension for the X5M, for those who have it installed, do you guys use 3M tape in addition to the screws provided? There isn't any installation instruction come with the extension, and it is my first time installing side skirt on my ride (it looks doable), what's the spacing you guys used in putting on the screws (since there are tons of screws provided, and I don't expect to use them all). Sorry, the question may sounds kind dumb.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:05 AM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Their product never comes with instruction since most of them are copies.
All I can say, the only correct way to install them is when it doesn't falls off.
No joke on that.
I have installed many of copies / replica products, I have to wing it on the installation process and hope for the best. Applied as many screws and double sided tape as possible.
That's why I charge higher to install coplies / replica products.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
zztops327.50
      09-14-2023, 05:33 PM   #3
zztops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i (N26) F30 M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
All I can say, the only correct way to install them is when it doesn't falls off.
No joke on that.
I have installed many of copies / replica products, I have to wing it on the installation process and hope for the best. Applied as many screws and double sided tape as possible.
I second this. I just kinda winged it with the screws and the tape. I did however use minimal tape to get it to sit as flush as possible to the actual car. I think I only used like 3 inches on each end piece and that was more for positioning. since I wanted to limited screws on the ends near the entry lights. My drives side didn’t fit too great with the RW Carbon so I had to put like 3 more screws on that side, while kind of manually reworking the the lip, for a fitment that wouldn’t drive my OCD nuts. It’s on there flush and rock solid now, but if I were to do it again, I probably wouldn’t cheap out because of price (still not cheap btw). Its only single layer carbon with a curved lip. The added price of other brands definitely has differences that you can’t see in photos, or in person for that matter, but it’s definitely built different.

Good luck with install (I’m confident you’ll crush it) and share pics when done!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13102.50
      09-16-2023, 03:35 AM   #4
tubbyc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztops View Post
I second this. I just kinda winged it with the screws and the tape. I did however use minimal tape to get it to sit as flush as possible to the actual car. I think I only used like 3 inches on each end piece and that was more for positioning. since I wanted to limited screws on the ends near the entry lights. My drives side didn’t fit too great with the RW Carbon so I had to put like 3 more screws on that side, while kind of manually reworking the the lip, for a fitment that wouldn’t drive my OCD nuts. It’s on there flush and rock solid now, but if I were to do it again, I probably wouldn’t cheap out because of price (still not cheap btw). Its only single layer carbon with a curved lip. The added price of other brands definitely has differences that you can’t see in photos, or in person for that matter, but it’s definitely built different.

Good luck with install (I’m confident you’ll crush it) and share pics when done!
Thanks for the tips. I was wondering if you put ppf on the side skirt at all? I am debating whether to spend extra money on ppf, or just forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 03:37 AM   #5
tubbyc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
No joke on that.
Thanks for the helps as well
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13102.50
      09-16-2023, 07:11 PM   #6
zztops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i (N26) F30 M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbyc View Post
Thanks for the tips. I was wondering if you put ppf on the side skirt at all? I am debating whether to spend extra money on ppf, or just forget about it.
Set it and forget it. It’s a sacrificial piece for me.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13102.50