08-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #155
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I wonder if the state of the 12vdc battery might make a difference in what mode it decides to run in...lots of short, lower speed trips may or may not get the 12vdc battery fully charged...some weird things happens when the 12vdc battery is not charged enough.
That might be the case, but why only does it happen with comfort access? I say it's some sort of bug. If the 12v battery would be low, it will result in an event in the onboard computer. But there is nothing there after it happens. So the computer does not see it as an error.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:19 AM   #156
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I wonder if the state of the 12vdc battery might make a difference in what mode it decides to run in...lots of short, lower speed trips may or may not get the 12vdc battery fully charged...some weird things happens when the 12vdc battery is not charged enough.
That might be the case, but why only does it happen with comfort access? I say it's some sort of bug. If the 12v battery would be low, it will result in an event is the onboard computer. But there is nothing there after it happens. So the computer does not see it as an error.
I have been driving a lot with the ice last days and I am not able to charge. I will see what happens with comfort acces.

Personally I think it is related to comfort acces like we tested but also driving in all electric mode for longer time and the car requesting for driving with ICE.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #157
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

This Friday the dealer will try to enable comfort access in my car again. They will leave the datalogger in my car to record the event when/if it happens. Will be on holiday the two weeks after, so plenty of time to test.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #158
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Against all odds, my car just started in hybrid again. Had a small 3 km trip, stopped the car, locked it. Went away for about 15 minutes, started the car again for a 3 km trip. Stopped the car, locked it. Came back 4 minutes later and there it was. Started up in hybrid. So this event has been catched by the datalogger. But now I'm curious why it happens way more often with comfort access instead of keyfob.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #159
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I have been driving around in Italy for 3 days now. I was able to charge at a public parking for 4 hours and the rest I had been driving sport mode, adaptive with gear in manual or battery hold in order to keep my battery charge for preconditioning.

I always used comfort acces and it never started in hybrid always in electric individual. I never ended my trip in EI always in the mode I was driving in.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 05:54 AM   #160
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Visited the dealer this morning to get comfort access enabled again. It appears that when the datalogger is connected to the car, comfort access does not work. So that will make it very hard to reproduce the issue. I have 1 incident so far, hopefully there will be more. I've now enabled "unlock on approach" again. Will disable it after a couple of days and hope it somehow triggers the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #161
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Visited the dealer this morning to get comfort access enabled again. It appears that when the datalogger is connected to the car, comfort access does not work. So that will make it very hard to reproduce the issue. I have 1 incident so far, hopefully there will be more. I've now enabled "unlock on approach" again. Will disable it after a couple of days and hope it somehow triggers the issue.
Mine started in hybrid this morning when opening with comfort acces. I had 10% battery left but drove 200 km in sport or hybrid mode with a lot of ICE.

When I opened with the key after a short stop it started in EI. I did drive in sport so the battery charged to 15% before stopping the car.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #162
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Mine started in hybrid this morning when opening with comfort acces. I had 10% battery left but drove 200 km in sport or hybrid mode with a lot of ICE.

When I opened with the key after a short stop it started in EI. I did drive in sport so the battery charged to 15% before stopping the car.
So the theorie that it only happens after a longer period of not using ice won't stand based on this right? Might it be time related? I have a gut feeling it happens more often when the car has just been used somewhere within the hour before. When it is/was in deep sleep (i.e. next morning) it hardly happens with my car. But that might also be related to comfort access vs keyfob. I have to unlock the garden gate with a key, and usually use the keyfob right after I've locked the garden gate behind me. I think we are close to narrowing it down to a reproducible issue. Which would make it way easier to fix it. So if anyone has a "gut feeling" when it occurs, please share, it might be the missing link.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #163
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I have frequent trip interruptions almost daily: work > summer camp > groceries and enabled 'unlock on approach'. I rarely get the switch to hybrid.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #164
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I have frequent trip interruptions almost daily: work > summer camp > groceries and enabled 'unlock on approach'. I rarely get the switch to hybrid.
You drive them on Electric Individual?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #165
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yes, I drive EI almost exclusively. the last time I used the ICE or any other driving mode was over 2 months ago. The last time mine switched to hybrid was a month ago while I was coding
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #166
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:

So the theorie that it only happens after a longer period of not using ice won't stand based on this right? Might it be time related? I have a gut feeling it happens more often when the car has just been used somewhere within the hour before. When it is/was in deep sleep (i.e. next morning) it hardly happens with my car. But that might also be related to comfort access vs keyfob. I have to unlock the garden gate with a key, and usually use the keyfob right after I've locked the garden gate behind me. I think we are close to narrowing it down to a reproducible issue. Which would make it way easier to fix it. So if anyone has a "gut feeling" when it occurs, please share, it might be the missing link.
I parked my car around 16h yesterday and started this morning at 9h and it started in hybrid with comfort acces and relatively low battery. So this kind of is against your gut feeling. Same for mine, like you mentioned, because I had been driving around more than enough with the ICE
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #167
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Thanks, so we can scratch those two from the list. Same for level of hv battery. I've had it with full and almost empty battery. Same for weather (hot/cold).

10 minutes ago I went for a short trip and the steering wheel did not extend. This was the first startup since I modified the "unlock on approach" setting to "enabled". When the issue's happened on the 2nd of august, I just disabled that setting. It seems like different startup sequences are used depending on how the car was unlocked. Fiddling with the "unlock on approach" setting does seem to have influence.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      09-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #168
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Data logger has been removed from my car today and send to BMW DE for further analyses along with my report and pictures about the issues/occurrences. My car is now on 07/2021.46 software, Comfort access is working again. I should get an update in about two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #169
bceye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Switching to hybrid happens to me as well if driver switches the profile associated with the key/digital key to another profile in the car. It doesn't happen if each person use their own key/digital key and use the profile that is loaded automatically.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #170
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Randomly switched to hybrid twice in the past two weeks. I just felt the suspension was softer, looked at the IC and saw it was in hybrid. I clicked on electric and it reverted back to hybrid. no reasons that I could think of that would obviate operating in electric from the get go as that's the driving mode I have programmed on startup and no extreme temperatures, either
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #171
fsujmt
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive35i

This is still happening and it’s now Dec 2021.

Set as Electric Individual (and my ambient lighting was also set to orange). I get in the car and it starts in hybrid driving mode and not EI AND my ambient lighting is now blue. EI setting is no longer checked and ambient lighting setting is now blue.

Has happened to me every time in the past two days or so. Previously it rarely happened.

Did everyone else with this issue give up?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #172
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

For me it has happened but only when I have already been driving.. if I stop, turn car off, get out and lock then come back to the car is a short period of time it starts in Hybrid instead of Electric as set in my settings. Doesn't really bother me like I'm reading for others… small little hiccup it seems like.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #173
fsujmt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
For me it has happened but only when I have already been driving.. if I stop, turn car off, get out and lock then come back to the car is a short period of time it starts in Hybrid instead of Electric as set in my settings. Doesn't really bother me like I'm reading for others… small little hiccup it seems like.
Unfortunately, it’s a small hiccup in an almost $80K vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:11 PM   #174
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsujmt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
Unfortunately, it’s a small hiccup in an almost $80K vehicle.
We all know cars are getting more and more expensive and the quality is getting cut. If I have to drop my finger onto one button every once in awhile I'm okay with that. It's just a car to get me around. A comfy efficient one with all the bells and whistles but realistically I'll have another one in 3 years when the lease is up
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      12-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #175
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsujmt View Post
This is still happening and it's now Dec 2021.

Set as Electric Individual (and my ambient lighting was also set to orange). I get in the car and it starts in hybrid driving mode and not EI AND my ambient lighting is now blue. EI setting is no longer checked and ambient lighting setting is now blue.

Has happened to me every time in the past two days or so. Previously it rarely happened.

Did everyone else with this issue give up?
this sounds like your driver profile isn't linked to your key fob, therefore pulling up the Guest driver profile, not yours.

when mine randomly goes into Hybrid, I'm still in my driver profile with all my settings, ambient lights, radio stations, everything.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #176
fsujmt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
this sounds like your driver profile isn't linked to your key fob, therefore pulling up the Guest driver profile, not yours.

when mine randomly goes into Hybrid, I'm still in my driver profile with all my settings, ambient lights, radio stations, everything.
I am in my profile. It says my name at start up each time.
Appreciate 0