kcp0.00
      06-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
They got a bit confused with the X7 in the first minute of this video.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

When you build up the Touareg to be similarly configured to the X5, it ends up costing more which is interesting.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
When you build up the Touareg to be similarly configured to the X5, it ends up costing more which is interesting.
VW doesn't offer the Touareg in the US. They only offer the Tiguan and Atlas and both are underpowered, no comparison to the X5. However, I've seen car brands that lure you in with an attractive price but if you want certain features, you end up thousands above that price and find yourself close to the X5 but of course, its still the "other' brand and not a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
They got a bit confused with the X7 in the first minute of this video.
Ha glad it wasn't just me that did a double take!
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      06-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
VW doesn't offer the Touareg in the US. They only offer the Tiguan and Atlas and both are underpowered, no comparison to the X5. However, I've seen car brands that lure you in with an attractive price but if you want certain features, you end up thousands above that price and find yourself close to the X5 but of course, its still the "other' brand and not a BMW.
Yes I am aware. Since VW was only selling about 3,000 a year, I guess it was to be expected that they would pull it. I went to the UK site for VW and BMW for a fair comparison and did a build of each. You can’t get the Atlas there, the closest thing is the Touareg.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
I saw that review, but to be honest, for every person a different car will be the winner, because of different requirements.

I chose the X5, mainly because of the way it drive, and also because it has the best lease option available in South Africa.

I haven't driven the new GLE, as it will only be available towards September, but I don't like the way the newer generation Mercs drive. They feel plasticky and cheap compared to BMW. It is also a bit more expensive, model for model, which is strange, as the previous generations X5 and GLE were very similiar in price.

I didn't consider the Audi, as my local dealer is completely useless when it come to after sales service.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      06-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

I think the Audi has a lot of plus points, mainly the incredible way they handle interior space distribution. That said though, the looks are a bit meh and the interior just looks too dated. The X5 has the wow factor which is why I bought it.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
I think the Audi has a lot of plus points, mainly the incredible way they handle interior space distribution. That said though, the looks are a bit meh and the interior just looks too dated. The X5 has the wow factor which is why I bought it.
It has looked that way since the day it was revealed.

It is way too conservative and boxy for a modern day SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #10
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

This was definitely one of Matt's fairest and well sorted comparison tests.

Q7's biggest redeeming factor is being able to carry 7 in reasonable comfort. That's it's selling point in this price bracket.

I don't know why the Toureg was included as it was a given that it's a cheaper Q7. VWs in general have premium looking interiors with premium build quality. However their material choice is among the worst in the business. Hard plastic everywhere. It's all screwed together well, but the materials are a huge letdown in any VW.
Appreciate 1
Fedie34.00
      06-22-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I don't know why the Toureg was included as it was a given that it's a cheaper Q7. VWs in general have premium looking interiors with premium build quality. However their material choice is among the worst in the business. Hard plastic everywhere. It's all screwed together well, but the materials are a huge letdown in any VW.
Coming from several Touaregs, I can definitely attest to some lower grade materials which they increased in quantity as the model years went on. The first gen had a nice mix of real metal and wood on the dash, but by the third gen the metal was replaced with painted silver plastic. The leather was also really low grade compared to my vernasca leather in the X5. I just liked driving someothat no one else had that was still luxurious and nice riding. I had the only 16 diesel in town!
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      06-22-2019, 05:46 AM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Loved that review. Love ALL the reviews on the X5. I bought my X5 pretty much on a whim, with only driving two other cars. I’m still happy about the decision.

The 2020 new-design Toyota and Lexus models are revealed. They look great but pricing not available yet online. Love my highlander, and will def look at Lexus in four years.

I’d love to drive one, but we don’t have a Lexus dealer in my city. Not worth driving two hours to check it out. Maybe in four years our local Toyota dealer will expand into Lexus. I see a TON of Lexus cars in this area, even tho you can’t buy them locally.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #13
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

You cannot seriously compare Lexus to BMW. Lexus is just a fancy Toyota.

Great review, X5 left them all in the dust 😀

I would love if they would do a comparison with Cayenne, I think Cayenne us the only real challenger to the X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #14
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post

I would love if they would do a comparison with Cayenne, I think Cayenne us the only real challenger to the X5.
I’m reasonably certain I saw a cayenne comparison with 2019 X5 on YouTube. Didn’t watch it but check it out!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #15
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

After driving a BMW for four years, I’ll be interested to see my feelings on driving competing cars. My highlander and the new ones have very fast v6 engines. My old one handles great, and has no repairs in 80,000 miles. And the 2020 tech looks similar to BMW at first glance. Exterior styling is very nice also.

For a long-term car, the Lexus would be much easier to deal with in terms of future repairs. I have a Toyota dealer nearby who could service it, unlike the BMW which is 90 minutes away.

I’m planning to trade at four years when the warranty expires because I’m not sure I trust BMW repairs to be reasonable if I kept it for a long time - we drive all our other cars into the ground, and I don’t particularly want a new car every few years.

Also, I’m retired. My accounts are off the charts at the moment, but I know that won’t last. The stock market is paying for this car, but in four years I might not feel as good about taking on perpetual payments (unless the market is so bad, it makes more sense to buy outright).

Lots of factors to consider, but for now I love my BMW, and might decide to become a lifer - hard to say!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Quote:

True that....Cayenne & X5 are best choices for enthusiast. C&D just released Q7 / Cayenne comparison (probably tied in with the X5 / GLE comparison). Performance specs showed the Cayenne almost identical to the X5. The X5 was slightly quicker...with same power ratings & higher weight. This again shows the B58 to be great engine since it's driving greater weight with higher fuel efficiency. The Cayenne will have advantage in handling and (IMO) styling, but at SIGNIFICANT price premium. I debated these two for months...bought the X5 & really pleased with my decision. As is my IRA.
Hopefully we'll see a combined X5/GLE/Q7/Cayenne comparison.
Neither will be as trouble free as a Lexus, but I couldn't see myself driving the automotive equivalent of a large-mouthed bass.
Appreciate 1
Laki021366.50
      06-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
True that....Cayenne & X5 are best choices for enthusiast. C&D just released Q7 / Cayenne comparison (probably tied in with the X5 / GLE comparison). Performance specs showed the Cayenne almost identical to the X5. The X5 was slightly quicker...with same power ratings & higher weight. This again shows the B58 to be great engine since it's driving greater weight with higher fuel efficiency. The Cayenne will have advantage in handling and (IMO) styling, but at SIGNIFICANT price premium. I debated these two for months...bought the X5 & really pleased with my decision. As is my IRA.
Hopefully we'll see a combined X5/GLE/Q7/Cayenne comparison.
Neither will be as trouble free as a Lexus, but I couldn't see myself driving the automotive equivalent of a large-mouthed bass.
Absolutely.

Even my wife commented, after just a short drive, how much more direct the steering was compared to her GLE, and also how much flatter it cornered.

If she could tell the difference after just started driving, it says a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:59 AM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Coming from several Touaregs, I can definitely attest to some lower grade materials which they increased in quantity as the model years went on. The first gen had a nice mix of real metal and wood on the dash, but by the third gen the metal was replaced with painted silver plastic. The leather was also really low grade compared to my vernasca leather in the X5. I just liked driving someothat no one else had that was still luxurious and nice riding. I had the only 16 diesel in town!
Yup I've noticed the slide in material quality as well. My mom used to work for VW Corporate and can attest to this.

When the outgoing Jetta was unveiled it was panned for its cheap interior. That was the time VW's entire lineup went cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This isn't the case for the IS, GS, and LS at least.

I had an RX loaner a couple months ago and it was terrible from somebody used to BMW driving dynamics. Dead steering, mediocre ride quality, handled like a FWD car despite being AWD (poor at hiding its underpinnings). I'm not sure which Toyota the RX is based on but its dynamics aren't differentiated enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Since I'm holding off buying the X5 and after watching this video comparison and knowing the Touareg is not sold here in the US, I thought I would go look at the Atlas. The specs say its underpowered but I needed to know if the engine squirrel was a big or small one, so we went yesterday.

Holy smoly, my wife drove it first, then me, we both think the squirrel is diseased and almost dead. This is a 6 cyl that can't get out of its own exhaust fumes but makes a ton of engine noise trying and speaking of exhaust, check out the pix! Well, ok, I didn't go in expecting it to compete but gotta spend our waiting time doing something car related.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #21
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
This is confusing. Aside from the X7 slip up previously mentioned on what was obviously an X5, they did an actual X7 shot 50 seconds in. Do they know what BMW they're actually reviewing here? Among the German "heavy hitters," the Cayenne is missing too.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Yeah, the X7 slip up both in the narration and video footage is pretty sloppy in my opinion. I really like carwow and Mat Watson, but that was pretty bad.
Appreciate 0