BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2023, 03:05 PM   #45
espresso0
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I have a ‘20 m50i- I changed the resonator with a x pipe and unplugged the valves.

Sounds much better and cheaper alternative to getting downpipes (waiting for warranty to expire before going the downpipe + tune route).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 10:05 PM   #46
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

[QUOTE=MC113;30489931]For the folks saying they are happy with the sound - and I am genuinely trying to understand this and not being judgmental - are they happy with it even when they have "IconicSounds" disabled? I think IconicSounds is enabled by default in Sport Drive Mode, but - to me at least - when you disable it the car sounds more like a turbo 6 cylinder at best even with the windows down. Only under the most aggressive, sustained acceleration do you even get a taste of the V8 sound which given the HP and speed limits doesn't last long. On startup and around town it genuinely sounds less powerful than the '20 M340i we just turned in for a '23 M550i.

I can’t for the life of me find any official BMW information on what exactly IconicSounds is for non-electric cars - everything is press releases and marketing-speak for how fantastic it is for electric cars. I get the novelty of the Hans Zimmer treatment for the electric cars to offset the total silence or maybe a little something to make a base 4 cylinder not sound like a lawn mower gargling Legos. On my M60i my understanding (which could be wrong) is "IconicSounds" are literally just completely fake engine sound pumped through the speakers. Not like, amplified real engine noise but fully simulated. Like I've pulled up engine noises on Spotify and am playing them through the speakers fake.

Am I being a luddite if I didn't expect or frankly want “IconicSounds” faking an ICE twin turbo V8 when that's what I paid for under the hood? It never would've crossed my mind on the test drive to turn and ask "is the sound I am hearing with my ears right on this $100k V8 real or are you playing me samples from Gran Turismo 7 through the speakers?" That would sound like the question from the mind of a lunatic, no?

When you turn IconicSounds off and realize they're masking what often is sounding more like a 4 or 6 cylinder blended with a Dyson running in the next room over...How do you leave them on when you know it's totally fake? Like this isn't a Hot Wheels ride on where you expect engine noise via speaker and are also (presumably) an actual child lmao! I am not playing Daytona USA - this is an actual V8 that's going to be in the M5!?

Am I crazy lmao? No, I do not want the fake sound on...I want to hear the actual 500+ HP TT BMW V8 which is sitting a few feet away from me? Software-based fake engine noise played through speakers sounds like something targeting the teenage boys who bolted giant rear wings and spoilers to their Civics. It would be embarrassing to be called out for the engine noise in the cabin being fake, right? Is this supposed to not be embarrassing because the car is expensive? Doesn't that actually make it more ridiculous?

Oh yeah it gets to 60 MPH in 4 seconds and I average 12 MPG, but it sounds like a 330i with a 4 cylinder most of the time or maybe a M340i if I really push it to get to a 6 cylinder experience. If I want to V8 experience from my V8 I can always just...Play fake noise through my speakers?

This is baffling to me.[/

MC you have to post more often. The points you make are so spot on.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 03:00 AM   #47
wardy007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, X3 M40I, X5 M60I

[QUOTE=Jen4BMW;30563053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
For the folks saying they are happy with the sound - and I am genuinely trying to understand this and not being judgmental - are they happy with it even when they have "IconicSounds" disabled? I think IconicSounds is enabled by default in Sport Drive Mode, but - to me at least - when you disable it the car sounds more like a turbo 6 cylinder at best even with the windows down. Only under the most aggressive, sustained acceleration do you even get a taste of the V8 sound which given the HP and speed limits doesn't last long. On startup and around town it genuinely sounds less powerful than the '20 M340i we just turned in for a '23 M550i.

I can’t for the life of me find any official BMW information on what exactly IconicSounds is for non-electric cars - everything is press releases and marketing-speak for how fantastic it is for electric cars. I get the novelty of the Hans Zimmer treatment for the electric cars to offset the total silence or maybe a little something to make a base 4 cylinder not sound like a lawn mower gargling Legos. On my M60i my understanding (which could be wrong) is "IconicSounds" are literally just completely fake engine sound pumped through the speakers. Not like, amplified real engine noise but fully simulated. Like I've pulled up engine noises on Spotify and am playing them through the speakers fake.

Am I being a luddite if I didn't expect or frankly want “IconicSounds” faking an ICE twin turbo V8 when that's what I paid for under the hood? It never would've crossed my mind on the test drive to turn and ask "is the sound I am hearing with my ears right on this $100k V8 real or are you playing me samples from Gran Turismo 7 through the speakers?" That would sound like the question from the mind of a lunatic, no?

When you turn IconicSounds off and realize they're masking what often is sounding more like a 4 or 6 cylinder blended with a Dyson running in the next room over...How do you leave them on when you know it's totally fake? Like this isn't a Hot Wheels ride on where you expect engine noise via speaker and are also (presumably) an actual child lmao! I am not playing Daytona USA - this is an actual V8 that's going to be in the M5!?

Am I crazy lmao? No, I do not want the fake sound on...I want to hear the actual 500+ HP TT BMW V8 which is sitting a few feet away from me? Software-based fake engine noise played through speakers sounds like something targeting the teenage boys who bolted giant rear wings and spoilers to their Civics. It would be embarrassing to be called out for the engine noise in the cabin being fake, right? Is this supposed to not be embarrassing because the car is expensive? Doesn't that actually make it more ridiculous?

Oh yeah it gets to 60 MPH in 4 seconds and I average 12 MPG, but it sounds like a 330i with a 4 cylinder most of the time or maybe a M340i if I really push it to get to a 6 cylinder experience. If I want to V8 experience from my V8 I can always just...Play fake noise through my speakers?

It's wokeism gone mad.. BMW have killed the V8 Sound to appease a vocal minority. Fortunately AUDI AND MERC have not... YET!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 06:59 AM   #48
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy007 View Post

It's wokeism gone mad.. BMW have killed the V8 Sound to appease a vocal minority. Fortunately AUDI AND MERC have not... YET!
So cringe when people can't help but blame whatever they don't like on their invisible enemy.
Appreciate 1
matowi292.00
      10-12-2023, 08:28 AM   #49
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

[QUOTE=Jen4BMW;30563053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC113 View Post
For the folks saying they are happy with the sound - and I am genuinely trying to understand this and not being judgmental - are they happy with it even when they have "IconicSounds" disabled? I think IconicSounds is enabled by default in Sport Drive Mode, but - to me at least - when you disable it the car sounds more like a turbo 6 cylinder at best even with the windows down. Only under the most aggressive, sustained acceleration do you even get a taste of the V8 sound which given the HP and speed limits doesn't last long. On startup and around town it genuinely sounds less powerful than the '20 M340i we just turned in for a '23 M550i.

You average 12 MPG with an M60i? Mine averages 19.3, that is quite a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:42 AM   #50
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

[QUOTE=cobramite;30563775]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post

You average 12 MPG with an M60i? Mine averages 19.3, that is quite a difference.
Same here, 19-21 avg. Mostly rural and some highway.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:53 AM   #51
cobramite
Banned
Rep

[QUOTE=TechCTU;30563807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post

My 19.3 is less than 1% highway. 12 MPG would have to be some real aggressive driving.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU782.00
      10-12-2023, 08:54 AM   #52
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
The M60i is certainly "quiter" than my M50i which was not anywhere near loud even in Sport Plus.
I am beginning to accept the stealth nature of my M60i exhaust note which may actually be an advatage when I jump up to around 700HP after tuning which should be soon.
This is interesting. How do you "jump to 700HP" and how does it affect the warranty? My M50i was just totaled and I was going to get the M60 but hearing the comments about the exhaust note not being as good is disappointing. I love the sound of my M50i and always kept the exhaust sound on Sporty. Is that even an option anymore?
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #53
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
This is interesting. How do you "jump to 700HP" and how does it affect the warranty? My M50i was just totaled and I was going to get the M60 but hearing the comments about the exhaust note not being as good is disappointing. I love the sound of my M50i and always kept the exhaust sound on Sporty. Is that even an option anymore?
Easiest to explain with this Dynojet from Burger(JB4). Convert the Dynojet wheel horsepower numbers to engine with a conservative but generally accepted 15% and you'll see an actual 700HP with 93 on Map 3. Cool stuff for sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
TechCTU782.00
MissVito217.50
      10-12-2023, 09:19 AM   #54
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

[QUOTE=TechCTU;30563807]
Quote:

I'm getting an unreal 24.5 MPG
90%+ interstate driving, 50 miles per day (8500 miles now since mid-May)
Vehicle shows average 43MPH
Every fill up shows 600 mile+ range. Highest was 633
Performance and handling superior to my ex 2020 X6 M50i
Appreciate 2
TechCTU782.00
MissVito217.50
      10-12-2023, 11:15 AM   #55
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

[QUOTE=puckybadger;30563897]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post

I'm getting an unreal 24.5 MPG
90%+ interstate driving, 50 miles per day (8500 miles now since mid-May)
Vehicle shows average 43MPH
Every fill up shows 600 mile+ range. Highest was 633
Performance and handling superior to my ex 2020 X6 M50i
Would that void the warranty?
'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)

Last edited by MissVito; 10-12-2023 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVito View Post
If something happens to the engine and they can show the tune caused it then it will void the warranty claim on that problem.
MissVito217.50
      10-14-2023, 09:38 PM   #57
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Very glad the car BEEPS when you walk away with engine running

Walked away three times in three weeks with the engine still running.

Turned the engine off when was on about 30 times in three weeks.

Must sound like a Tesla without the supposed sport exhaust the car is ment to have.

Maybe you forgot to put on

Will email BMW now ...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 03:24 AM   #58
wardy007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
So cringe when people can't help but blame whatever they don't like on their invisible enemy.
Care to explain what you actually mean? I have NO idea what you are trying to say, or the point you are trying to make..

The only point i am making is that the M60i is possibly the worst sounding V8 on the market today.

If you dont call it out for what it is, then other people get sucked in and ultimately massively dissapointed.. as evident across this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 08:20 AM   #59
cobramite
Banned
Rep

^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 09:01 AM   #60
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
[QUOTE=wardy007;30570731]

The only point i am making is that the M60i is possibly the worst sounding V8 on the market today.

Yes.... It's is, sounds like a 4cyl diesel idling. My B58 i6 sounded better besides wide open throttle (WOT)

What can be done?
Downpipe?
Resonator delete?
H pipe?
Cat back?

I've turned iconic sounds off as horrible fake sounds & fake pops too.
Car looks good.
Car drives better than it should at this size.
Engine is awesome
11.2L/100km first 1000km
13.3L/100km next 1600km
Amazed not 20L so unbelievable good fuel economy.

Car sound...... Missing 🤐🤫🔇😞
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:36 AM   #61
wardy007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
^^^^^
Cobramite.. oh dear!
Is there anyone on this forum you don't disagree with or shove your opinion down their throat? Apparently only your opinion is valid!
I have had several forum members message me on the quiet stating the same! Take a break champ.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 05:07 AM   #62
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Care to explain what you actually mean? I have NO idea what you are trying to say, or the point you are trying to make..
If you honestly don't know what I'm talking about you'd have to be so ignorant that there's absolutely nothing to gain from "discussing" it.

But I have to say I couldn't help but notice the irony in people blaming stuff they don't like on vague bogeymen like "wokeism" because they are just too ignorant to realize what's going on so they have to resort to discrediting people with different opinions as "woke" or "leftists" while accusing others of accepting no other opinions than their own.

But go ahead and make yourself feel better by ranting about "free speech" and "cancel culture" while accusing everyone with different opinions as "woke" or "snowflakes" and cancel beer brands because they might've sent a free case to someone you don't like. Whatever Mr. Murdoch tells you uuuugh I mean makes you sleep at night.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 12:26 PM   #63
MtnDave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I must admit I mess the exhaust sound of my M5 Comp which had the same engine as my new X5 M60i.

2002 M5 E39 Carbon Blue
2006 X5 3.0 Diesel E70 Grey New
2016 M4 Convertible F83 Alpine White New
2018 X5 3.5 MSport F15 Silverstone New
2020 M5 Competition F90 Donington Grey New
2024 X5 M60i G05 Alpine White New
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #64
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnDave View Post
I must admit I mess the exhaust sound of my M5 Comp which had the same engine as my new X5 M60i.
It couldn't have, the engine was just introduced last summer.
      10-18-2023, 02:27 PM   #65
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Cobramite.. oh dear!
Is there anyone on this forum you don't disagree with or shove your opinion down their throat? Apparently only your opinion is valid!
I have had several forum members message me on the quiet stating the same! Take a break champ.
Sure you have.
How is your M60i treating you?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 06:26 AM   #66
wardy007
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sure you have.
How is your M60i treating you?
As i told you previously, i had cancelled my order. However, upon a vist to my local BMW dealership the other day i was informed of a scheduled power bump, and exhaust enhancemet to the X5/X6 M60I models starting with Jan '24 builds.
Seems BMW do listen to feedback.. Perhaps i'll reconsider!
Appreciate 0