BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
wdlvega
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Arrow 2020 Loaner - Observations

Hello All,

I have my vehicle in for the mandatory recall updates. I received a loaner but definitely noticed a few different items off the bat as compared to my 2019.

* iDrive Screen looks more matte and smaller possibly?
* In the iDrive home screen, the radio or Sat programs come in at a larger font size making it look a bit off
* BMW Apps are now in full color icons looking a bit cartoonish
* Driver Experience (not sure of exact words) seems a bit forced and not designed well
* Speedometer screen seems more compact am I wrong?

In any case, I'm sure I will see more differences but those few items really seemed less "refined" as compared to the 2019. I'd love to hear your feedback.

EDIT:
I was referring to Experience Mode and what is Caring Car? It looks like it was an afterthought, at least to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The screen sizes are the same, unless everyone here has missed a change, and your screen content will look like the 2020s when you get yours back. The only difference in screen content is that the 2020s have the Assisted Driving View and the 2019s don't.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 10-17-2019 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Added unnecessary clarification for those with reading comprehension issues. ;)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The screen sizes are the same, unless everyone here has missed a change, and your screen content will look like the 2020s when you get yours back. The only difference is that the 2020s have the Assisted Driving View and the 2019s don't.
Looking in detail at the 1907 'build' level coding, not i-step thats different, I noticed some potential differences between model year 2019 and 2020:

new ATM2 chip on MY2020
New SRR radar hardware - called 'high performance' instead of standard
They've also done something with the rear restraint mechanism and sensors.

These new codes cant be activated on my car. I get persistent errors in ISTA for each, suggesting a hardware constraint.

The worry here is that the newer hardware might be needed for future ADAS features. Just speculation on my part.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 10-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: clarify comparison with model year
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Looking in detail at the 1907 'build' level coding, not i-step thats different, I noticed some potential differences:

new ATM2 chip on MY2020
New SRR radar hardware - called 'high performance' instead of standard
They've also done something with the rear restraint mechanism and sensors.

These new codes cant be activated on my car. I get persistent errors in ISTA for each, suggesting a hardware constraint.

The worry here is that the newer hardware might be needed for future ADAS features. Just speculation on my part.
I don't see how the things you mentioned would effect the screen sizes or content. Am I missing it?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
wdlvega
Rep

Quote:
The screen sizes are the same, unless everyone here has missed a change, and your screen content will look like the 2020s when you get yours back. The only difference is that the 2020s have the Assisted Driving View and the 2019s don't.
Ugh, that is what I was afraid of. I kind of liked the old icons, they were unobtrusive which is exactly how I like it. They are totally in your face now. If it's any consolation to myself, at least I barely every look at those apps… Yeah, I suspect the screens are the same, it just seemed "different" than my car. I have a lighter "cognac" interior and this vehicle is coffee or tartuffo and has the leather dash so, I get the impression of a "tighter, darker" space.

**One other thing I noticed that was different was the wireless charging in the front console above the cupholders. Its is now in a vertical position, is slightly raised and has nice padding underneath it. In the 2019, the orientation is landscape or horizontal and does not have the nice padded feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlvega View Post
**One other thing I noticed that was different was the wireless charging in the front console above the cupholders. Its is now in a vertical position, is slightly raised and has nice padding underneath it. In the 2019, the orientation is landscape or horizontal and does not have the nice padded feature.
Are you saying you can now wirelessly charge two phones at the same time due to the vertical orientation? Any pix of the new setup to post?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
wdlvega
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Are you saying you can now wirelessly charge two phones at the same time due to the vertical orientation? Any pix of the new setup to post?
No, it's a slim raised platform for just ONE phone. It actually seems a bit slimmer but still has a small amount of space on both sides (left/right). There was still ample vertical space, for comparison I am using an iPhone XR 6.1" screen with an Otterbox Symmetry case (which is not that bulky but provides adequate protection).

I will try to remember to take a photo so, you can see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I don't see how the things you mentioned would effect the screen sizes or content. Am I missing it?
I never said they did.

I was referring to your comment that the only difference was ADV, not screen size specific, as the original OP mentioned a number of differences between 2019 MY and 2020. Updated my post to clarify.

Does that help?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Ugh, that is what I was afraid of. I kind of liked the old icons, they were unobtrusive which is exactly how I like it. They are totally in your face now. If it's any consolation to myself, at least I barely every look at those apps… Yeah, I suspect the screens are the same, it just seemed "different" than my car. I have a lighter "cognac" interior and this vehicle is coffee or tartuffo and has the leather dash so, I get the impression of a "tighter, darker" space.

From my understanding, if you have heated/cooled cupholders then your wireless charger is vertical. If you do not then it is horizontal.
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2189 View Post
From my understanding, if you have heated/cooled cupholders then your wireless charger is vertical. If you do not then it is horizontal.
Mine is vertical and I do not have heated and cooled. 2019 Build

Mine is like this one.
Attached Images

2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

Mine is like this one.
Ah ha, when wdlvega said vertical, I envisioned the phone being able to stand on its long edge, upright, I didn't know wdlvega meant portrait instead of landscape - now I get it. I like it better this way, more room to the right of it for stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
wdlvega
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2189 View Post
Yes, I have heated/cooling cup holders. I wasn't aware that it would change the orientation of the wireless charger. Thank you for posting that
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
I never said they did.

I was referring to your comment that the only difference was ADV, not screen size specific, as the original OP mentioned a number of differences between 2019 MY and 2020. Updated my post to clarify.

Does that help?
Obviously my comment was in regards to the screen content not the entire vehicle. There are probably numerous different components.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
wdlvega
Rep

Quote:
Ah ha, when wdlvega said vertical, I envisioned the phone being able to stand on its long edge, upright, I didn't know wdlvega meant portrait instead of landscape - now I get it. I like it better this way, more room to the right of it for stuff.
Now, that would be interesting if the wireless charging was indeed vertical, by that token you would be able to see it as a second screen.

**Pardon the confusion, I meant the orientation was in portrait mode but flat.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now, that would be interesting if the wireless charging was indeed vertical, by that token you would be able to see it as a second screen.

**Pardon the confusion, I meant the orientation was in portrait mode but flat.
Right. It would be nice if cars in the luxo market could wirelessly charge more than one phone at a time, that's what I first thought when reading your post. Would be a great idea, as it is now when my wife and I are in the car together and both our phones need charging, we either have to take turns or unplug something that is using the second cig lighter socket.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #16
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

Mine is like this one.
Sorry I meant horizontal if you have heated/cooled cup holders and vertical if you do not. I read it in one of the service bulletins.
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #17
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
thinking the same. i never knew they were layout portrait. only seen it horizontally.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Right. It would be nice if cars in the luxo market could wirelessly charge more than one phone at a time, that's what I first thought when reading your post. Would be a great idea, as it is now when my wife and I are in the car together and both our phones need charging, we either have to take turns or unplug something that is using the second cig lighter socket.
I have cig socket chargers that have two USB ports. Some of these are trash, but I bought one that had good reviews on amazon. Tekkies LOVE to review even the smallest gadgets, so you can get a lot of info on amazon.

I have so much stuff on USB that I have a four-gang adapter in my rear socket and wires running to it for dash cam and my reliable TomTom. With the black carpet and floor mats, the wires are very hidden. Except on the dash for the drive recorder.

I also bought several usb c-to-a adapters. I don’t have ANY USB-c devices and don’t plan to replace devices any time soon.
Appreciate 0