BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2024, 12:49 PM   #1
SMR
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Initial Impressions (and questions) MY '25 50e

After ordering a MY '24 50e in December last year, finally took delivery of the vehicle at the end of last month as a MY '25; BMY and the dealership honored the pricing and lease rates from December 2023.

Mineral white, coffee interior, all the technology packages but no M Sport trim as my wife (primary driver) didn't like the look of it on the white car. This X5 replaces our 2015 X5 35d, which was one of the best cars we've owned. If BMW was still selling diesels in the US, I would have bought another one.

After 2 weeks, so far so good in terms of no issues (e.g. no CEL yet!). Most of the driving has been all electric local trips. We have a dedicated Level 2 charger in our garage, and can fully charge in a few hours. Indicated electric range has been in the low 40s. While the 0 to 60 times of all electric drive may not be special, there is plenty of torque and acceleration for most driving conditions. When I drive, I prefer Hybrid mode as the ICE is there as needed for going up hills, etc. But, for my wife, the electric only mode has been more than adequate.

I do feel the extra weight over the 2015, but for such a big/heavy vehicle, it does quite well, and the air suspension provides good ride quality.

The electronics are obviously a big step up over the 2015 this car replaced. But, as much as I consider myself knowledgeable about all kinds of electronics, I was hoping others would help me with the following:
  • I like the BMW messages app for text messages, but is there a way to get an audio alert when a new message arrives and have the system allow a response without having to touch/interact with the main screen?
  • What's the best way to utilize both Apple Play and the BWM drive at the same time? For example, using Waze for Navi, but XM radio running at the same time? And, once both are active (or one is running in the background, what's the best way to switch between them?) Would love to get advice from others on the best overall configuration for using Car Play AND the BMW apps (if possible).
  • Even though the vehicle is set for comfort access and unlocking upon approach, I can't get the rear hatch to open with a kick unless I manually unlock the car first with the key or by touching a front door. Any thoughts on why this won't work?
  • When I drive in the car with my wife, it often detects my phone first and sets the seats and other settings with my preferences and not hers. I programmed mobile devices with her phone as the primary, but what about making sure it uses HER key and not MY phone when we approach the car?
  • I am confused about how Wi-Fi works between the phone and iDrive/Car Play. Does the phone only communicate with both using Wi-Fi (which in turn shows as being turned off on the phone? Does WiFi replace Bluetooth as the primary connection with the car?

This forum was very helpful as we decided which X5 and which features to get. Happy to answer any questions about my first 2 weeks of driving time and thank you in advance for any advice about the questions I raised.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL170.50
      05-11-2024, 06:00 AM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Congrats on our new ride, great that you are sharing info with the folks here.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL170.50
      05-11-2024, 11:10 PM   #3
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
After ordering a MY '24 50e in December last year, finally took delivery of the vehicle at the end of last month as a MY '25; BMY and the dealership honored the pricing and lease rates from December 2023.
Congratulations on your fantastic new ride.

Quote:
When I drive, I prefer Hybrid mode as the ICE is there as needed for going up hills, etc. But, for my wife, the electric only mode has been more than adequate.
I as well configured "SPORT INDIVIDUAL" to use the engine basically like hybrid, but lowering the vehicle by one level and having sportier setup.

You should as well test "HYBRID ECO PRO".

Quote:
What's the best way to utilize both Apple Play and the BWM drive at the same time? For example, using Waze for Navi, but XM radio running at the same time? And, once both are active (or one is running in the background, what's the best way to switch between them?) Would love to get advice from others on the best overall configuration for using Car Play AND the BMW apps (if possible).
I don't use Waze, so can't comment on it. But in general you should be able to use a Car Play App as long it is not taking the Audio Channel as primary.

The best way to switch might be to create "ShortCuts".

Quote:
Even though the vehicle is set for comfort access and unlocking upon approach, I can't get the rear hatch to open with a kick unless I manually unlock the car first with the key or by touching a front door. Any thoughts on why this won't work?
I have the hitch and can't open with a kick. Have you checked your settings in Vehicle -> Doors and windows -> Tailgate?

Quote:
When I drive in the car with my wife, it often detects my phone first and sets the seats and other settings with my preferences and not hers. I programmed mobile devices with her phone as the primary, but what about making sure it uses HER key and not MY phone when we approach the car?
I think this it is by design that the first one to connect applies the settings. Otherwise it would have to constantly switch forward and backward.

Quote:
I am confused about how Wi-Fi works between the phone and iDrive/Car Play. Does the phone only communicate with both using Wi-Fi (which in turn shows as being turned off on the phone? Does WiFi replace Bluetooth as the primary connection with the car?
It uses both WiFI and Bluetooth. In your WiFi settings you should see that BMW Direct is connected ...
If your car is updated to a new iDrive version it will use the WiFi connection as well.

But you are not receiving WiFi Data from the Internet and won't see the WiFi symbol on your phone.

At the end you bought a sophisticated computer with a car attached to it

Enjoy and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 10:23 AM   #4
SMR
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Excellent advice, thank you! I didn’t realize Sport Individual could be set up more like Hybrid but with sportier settings for steering and suspension. Will definitely give it a try. Two mores question if I may - are comfort access settings individually set based on profiles? I don’t like the unlock on approach as I am in my garage often and the car keeps unlocking and locking when I am anywhere near it, but my wife does like using it. And, second, I often get requests to re-log into my BMW ID when starting the car. Doesn’t the ID link with the key (whether a physical key or digital key).

Agreed about it being a computer with a car attached! I thought my Tesla (Model S LR) was a computer with wheels, but the iDrive is far more complex (in a good way). The X5 fit and finish is far superior to my Tesla.

So far I think we made the right decision going with the hybrid. For my wife’s day to day local usage she will use no gas, and electricity in Baltimore is relatively cheap so it makes sense. And, yet it can definitely be fun to drive with both the ICE and electric pushing it, and the DAP is very well executed.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms on the forum.
Appreciate 1