05-28-2023, 12:21 AM   #1
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
2023 X5M vs 2024 X5 M60i Purchase Dilemma

Hello everyone. Looking to hop back into a BMW. Need it to be an SUV and have decided on the X5. If I can get a pretty good discount on a '23 X5M should I get that over a slightly discounted '24 M60i? The X5M would still be more expensive even with the discounts. This will be my only car, other than wife's X7, so it will be a daily driver. The way I've been jumping in and out of cars, I'm thinking either option this will be a lease for me. I like the idea of the X5M still having the utility of an SUV, but driving like a sporty car. I'm a bit worried, however, about the stiffness and harsh ride that everyone talks about. Can some different shocks/springs make the ride more comfortable? For the M60i, I like that it's still very fast but has the comfort as well. Also, liking the upgraded tech on on the M60i. I would order the M60i exactly to my liking, but the X5M I'd take what is available on the lot. I've found an X5M that has everything I want other than Bowers & Wilkens, which I would spec on the M60i. How important is it to have the B&W? I know there will be varying opinions here, but thought folks can share some of what they think are the pros and cons. Appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 12:46 AM   #2
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Like many others that have this exact dilemma it will really come down to your style of driving and what you're looking to get out of the car. Hopefully you have a chance to test drive both.

Me I personally could not drive an M60i unless I had to. Just knowing a sportier/more engaging version exists would drive me crazy (actually happened when I bough a 335i because the F80 wasn't out and quite quickly replaced it with the F80 once it was available). For some the M60i is a perfect car, which it is. It is a great mix of sporty and refinement, utility and fun. The X5M is also refined and usable, yet just much more engaging all the time. You just know you're driving something a bit more edgy, more ready to go all the time, which is what I AM looking for in a daily.

Harshness has been discussed to death. Every one's butt is different and what is perfect for me is too harsh for some. My F85 personally rode way worse then my 24 X5M, but still loved it. My F80 was lowered and I loved every second. I dailyed that car for 3 years.

Never had the B&W before now, and as much as I do love the way it sounds, if I had never experienced it I would have never missed it. I love music and for me, again personally, all the BMW I have owned have sounded exactly as I needed. Not an audiofile and mostly listen to electronica and hip-hop.

Hope this helps. Again I would test drive them both, and hopefully you pick the X5M lol that's the one I would choose
      05-28-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I agree with everything mecio says but I'm the other person in his example - the person who couldn't live with an M as a daily. Its super fun, handles like crazy, sounds great and is fast and I loved driving it but its just too edgy for me for 90% of my driving. Its on go all the time even in the tamest settings; you have to want that in a car or it gets tiresome.

Everything is subjective of course and for some people that is perfect, for others its too much. There is no such thing as a goldilocks car that will suit every driver.

You will have to test drive them and you have to know what you're looking for. Don't drive an M60 and just expect the X5M to be the same but faster - its a totally different experience with a totally different set of goals.
Appreciate 2
Jszlaga480.50
      05-28-2023, 10:36 AM   #4
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

If you are looking for more of daily comfort car, I would just get M60i.
Unlike 2023 M50i model, M60i has same but detuned M engine from 2024 X5M competition, so you are not missing that much in terms of engine department.
As far as handling, most people who purchase X5M do not track the car anyway, so M60i with handling package should give you sufficient enjoyment for local street driving.
Tech upgrade is also big thing. M60i is eligible for upcoming iDrive 8.5 upgrade, so you will be on the latest operating system with new features for next few years.
I have nit heard B&W but Harman Kardon sounds really good on 2024 model. Somehow it sounds way better than Harman Kardon on my 2022 M5.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
If you are looking for more of daily comfort car, I would just get M60i.
Unlike 2023 M50i model, M60i has same but detuned M engine from 2024 X5M competition, so you are not missing that much in terms of engine department.
As far as handling, most people who purchase X5M do not track the car anyway, so M60i with handling package should give you sufficient enjoyment for local street driving.
Tech upgrade is also big thing. M60i is eligible for upcoming iDrive 8.5 upgrade, so you will be on the latest operating system with new features for next few years.
I have nit heard B&W but Harman Kardon sounds really good on 2024 model. Somehow it sounds way better than Harman Kardon on my 2022 M5.
M60i can have whatever engine it says but performance is identical to M50i.
Appreciate 1
jo2134387.00
      05-29-2023, 12:07 PM   #6
socialpro1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi, Bmw, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
Hello everyone. Looking to hop back into a BMW. Need it to be an SUV and have decided on the X5. If I can get a pretty good discount on a '23 X5M should I get that over a slightly discounted '24 M60i? The X5M would still be more expensive even with the discounts. This will be my only car, other than wife's X7, so it will be a daily driver. The way I've been jumping in and out of cars, I'm thinking either option this will be a lease for me. I like the idea of the X5M still having the utility of an SUV, but driving like a sporty car. I'm a bit worried, however, about the stiffness and harsh ride that everyone talks about. Can some different shocks/springs make the ride more comfortable? For the M60i, I like that it's still very fast but has the comfort as well. Also, liking the upgraded tech on on the M60i. I would order the M60i exactly to my liking, but the X5M I'd take what is available on the lot. I've found an X5M that has everything I want other than Bowers & Wilkens, which I would spec on the M60i. How important is it to have the B&W? I know there will be varying opinions here, but thought folks can share some of what they think are the pros and cons. Appreciate the feedback.
I just went through this exact dilemma considering X5M VS M50i a month ago. I had a chance to test drive an X6M extensively for a day. I couldn't WAIT to be done with that car, and give it back to its righteous owner.

None of it made sense to me, to me it didn't do luxury OR sport well. Just a weird blend of stiffness and clunked-ness that did not appeal to me much, outside of the first 5 minutes of 'fun' I had with her. Did not like the seat comfort in that either. And I come from a LONG list of owning various sports cars / sport SUVs and sedans.

I REALLY tried to want/love the car. I love the looks. Interior is to DIE for. At the end of the day I get it - there is a buyer for what that car offers.

I 'settled' and picked up a nearly new M50i and have been very happy with my purchase. For me this is our MAIN family + trip car for 4. It handles day to day like a champ (although still feels on the slightly heavy side to me with the V8), and gives me a bit of GO if I'm by myself puttering around town.

Living in Phoenix, there aren't many twisty roads, or reasons why I'd particularly need a stiffer ride.

The M50i even on springs, 22" wheels with no DHP rides like a dream to me. Not punishing OR tiring. Has SOME body roll in turns and rides on the softer side in comfort. Sport setting gives a bit more firm if you want for more spirited driving. The X5M is clearly more of a sports car - but I did not enjoy the way it does the 'sports' part.

As a side note (I heard its different on the new ones) the M50i actually sounds better / throatier VS the X5m/X6m. Something about the turbo setup.

Torque is identical to the X5M as well - cha ching.

M50i to me feels like a luxury car first, with some SPORT thrown in. The full M tries to be a sports car first, and then they though about the RIDE aspect and made it 'good enough' - but for me it felt lacking in a daily car.

So at the end of the day make sure to test drive both cars, one will speak to you more than the other. They are completely different. One is not a 'better' version of the other one. They just both have different philosophies on what to prioritize.

The 50i is my daily, family and fun car all in one - and I'd be hard pressed to find another one that does it better in one package (SQ7 would be that contender).

------------------------------------------------

Again this is just all my opinion based on my driving style, car ownership history, needs, etc. Coming from a different perspective many call the X5M a cadillac when compared to the X3M. So all relative.

Good luck !! Both awesome choices.

Last edited by socialpro1; 05-29-2023 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 5
LDT1617.50
Chuck W.359.00
1Boxer36.00
      05-29-2023, 02:20 PM   #7
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
If it were me, I’d go with the X5M. This is BMWs top model in the X5 and their best goes into it. The ride is not too harsh, unless you are planning to take it off road…
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:25 AM   #8
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

If you’re into performance and sporty handling X5M all the way. The M50i/M60i are more similar to the 40i than they are to the X5M. Take away the M badges on those models and they are a 40i with more hp. The X5M is a different beast altogether and feels like a completely different car.

As for stiffness it is all subjective as others have said. It is absolutely a lot more stiff than non-M models and can take a little bit of getting used to if you’re coming from a 40i or M50i. Be warned though as it is hard to go back from a true M to a standard X5 or M performance X5.
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:47 AM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2134 View Post
If you’re into performance and sporty handling X5M all the way. The M50i/M60i are more similar to the 40i than they are to the X5M. Take away the M badges on those models and they are a 40i with more hp.
Just for completeness, there are more differences between the 40i and the M50i/M60i than just the engine. The M50i/M60i has model-specific tuned kinematics and elasto-kinematics, suspension hardware and components to handle increased power output, eg: equipped with reinforced components compared to the standard chassis: a harder stabilizer, stiffer wishbones and harder rubber bearings.
ERC429.50
Chuck W.359.00
1Boxer36.00
      06-27-2023, 12:00 AM   #10
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

We just picked up our 24 X5. If you can get B&W, do it! Harman Kardon system sucks! My last BMW was 2008 and 2012. I thought they had improved significantly since, it is definitely not the case. BMW really need to hire a few acoustic engineers for the team.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2023, 05:38 AM   #11
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
We just picked up our 24 X5. If you can get B&W, do it! Harman Kardon system sucks! My last BMW was 2008 and 2012. I thought they had improved significantly since, it is definitely not the case. BMW really need to hire a few acoustic engineers for the team.
i tested HK and B&W back to back today and HK sounded like a good shop radio and B&W i was in a live recording studio

(brought a USB stick with FLAC music of different genres)
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2023, 08:52 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i tested HK and B&W back to back today and HK sounded like a good shop radio and B&W i was in a live recording studio
That's the truth.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 07:21 PM   #13
irishbrahmin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Having owned 10 or so BMWs, earlier this summer I decided to buy my first M -- the X3M. Fast, spirited, etc., but it was way too harsh for someone like me who takes a lot of road trips. Switching to all-season tires didn't help much. So last Thursday I set out to find a M60i with B&W. And that I did!

I had a loaded '19 M50i several years back which was great, but the M60i is so awesome! I think the M60i is okay in Comfort mode, but switching to Sport mode turns it into a beast! The MSport exhaust comes to life and makes the M60i sound menacing!
      08-19-2023, 09:06 PM   #14
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin View Post

I had a loaded '19 M50i several years back which was great, but the M60i is so awesome! I think the M60i is okay in Comfort mode, but switching to Sport mode turns it into a beast! The MSport exhaust comes to life and makes the M60i sound menacing!
Is it really the exhaust sound? I think you're hearing iconic sounds through speakers. Turn it off and try again. I have X6 M60i and there is almost no actual sporty exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 05:04 AM   #15
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

My buddy had to have the best one. Got the M Comp. A little over a year and 15k(ish) miles later he lost $50k on it when trading for a 2023 Range Rover Sport because the best was too harsh. All along everyone told him to get the same M50 I had. To each their own but more is not always better. You have to decide what's best for you on your own. Just keep in mind, the forums are usually filled with enthusiasts.

Last edited by 0_steve; 09-01-2023 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 05:06 AM   #16
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
My buddy had to have the best one. Got the M Performance.
Do you mean M Competition?

And I learned what your buddy did just on a test drive. The M is a hard ride. Still, RR Sport? That doesn't seem like the best decision either
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 08:00 AM   #17
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

And I learned what your buddy did just on a test drive. The M is a hard ride. Still, RR Sport? That doesn't seem like the best decision either
Damn I knew something was off. You are correct! LOL.

And agree. The new RR Sport with the BMW inline 6 (detuned to less hp than the x5 6 cyl) is pretty dull in my opinion. But I think he wanted soft at that point - and prestige...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 07:43 PM   #18
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Still, RR Sport? That doesn't seem like the best decision either
He will be on a first name basis with everyone in the RR service dept.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw534.50
      09-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #19
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
My buddy had to have the best one. Got the M Comp. A little over a year and 15k(ish) miles later he lost $50k on it when trading for a 2023 Range Rover Sport because the best was too harsh. All along everyone told him to get the same M50 I had. To each their own but more is not always better. You have to decide what's best for you on your own. Just keep in mind, the forums are usually filled with enthusiasts.
Unfortunately, Land Rover dealers are good about stealing other peoples trades. He should have sold it on auto trader and took only a $20,000 loss if that.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 12:53 PM   #20
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Unfortunately, Land Rover dealers are good about stealing other peoples trades. He should have sold it on auto trader and took only a $20,000 loss if that.
Agree. He was raped but had to move fast (per him). Not many lots have new ones and the wait can be a year or more. Still a poor choice in my opinion...

That said, I sold my M50 today for a profit (lease buyout) as I await my M60 in a week or two.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw534.50