BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #1
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Wireless charging overheating phone

I’ve noticed now a couple times on long trips with Apple Map running on CarPlay through IPhone Xmax that after a couple hrs sitting in the tray, it loses connection and I’ll remove the phone to see the warning on it and definitely confirm by touch it’s hot. I haven’t had this issue in previous vehicle under same conditions. Normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

I have the same issue (12Pro). For long trips I slide the phone in the center console and plug it in instead of using the tray. It's the one option I would do without. MagSafe charger never gets my phone warm, wireless chi does.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There's a sweet spot for charging the phone. The LEDs, for me, are hard to see, but check the manual for what to look for. It may be you need to move the phone slightly. Second possibilities, there's a maximum size restriction for what will work along with a maximum thickness of the case listed in the manual.

Carplay while using maps means almost constant data transfer on cellular...that can make the phone hot.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 05:44 AM   #4
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Is there a setting to disable wireless charging or Bimmercode option to code out wireless charging?

The location is perfect for storing my phone whilst on the move but removing it from the case everytime I want to use it just because it gets hot is not an option + I keep my phone regulalry charged at home so don't need it for charging purposes anyway.
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 2
Zz9290.00
      04-27-2022, 05:51 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
Is there a setting to disable wireless charging or Bimmercode option to code out wireless charging?

The location is perfect for storing my phone whilst on the move but removing it from the case everytime I want to use it just because it gets hot is not an option + I keep my phone regulalry charged at home so don't need it for charging purposes anyway.
No. just place a barrier between the tray and your phone (thick enough so the inductive coils won't charge)
Appreciate 1
Makefish118.50
      11-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #6
bimmernew
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

This is driving me crazy $500 upgrade that I can't use

Did anyone find a solution for this?
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602217.00
      11-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernew View Post
This is driving me crazy $500 upgrade that I can't use

Did anyone find a solution for this?
don't use it. I mounted a MagSafe charger that's within arm's reach.

but know that the $500 price mainly includes the LTE compensator which has proven more beneficial to many folks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 09:44 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, if you run those apps while not charging, the phone will get hot. Throw in charging at the same time, when the back is in contact and can't radiate the heat away, and it being warm is not unusual. Having the phone in a case makes it worse, as it adds insulation. Now, if BMW actually applied cooling to the charging plate, that might help.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
bimmernew
Rep

Thanks for the replies!

Sadly, I don't plan on using the LTE feature. $15/$25 a month is not worth it when I already have 5G internet on my phone in most of the areas I travel to.
I added the option to avoid charging cables.

Carplay/navigation was running off my wife's phone. And still my phone heated up in the wireless charging tray. I wish BMW had a better design.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2022, 01:42 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernew View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Sadly, I don't plan on using the LTE feature. $15/$25 a month is not worth it when I already have 5G internet on my phone in most of the areas I travel to.
I added the option to avoid charging cables.

Carplay/navigation was running off my wife's phone. And still my phone heated up in the wireless charging tray. I wish BMW had a better design.
to clarify, you're referring to the Wireless Hotspot. I'm referring to the LTE compensator which boosts your cellular signal when your phone is placed in the charging tray. I recall one person was in distress driving through mountains where she usually had no signal, but the LTE compensator boosted her signal to just 1 bar, enough to call for help.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1114.50
      11-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
bimmernew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
to clarify, you're referring to the Wireless Hotspot. I'm referring to the LTE compensator which boosts your cellular signal when your phone is placed in the charging tray. I recall one person was in distress driving through mountains where she usually had no signal, but the LTE compensator boosted her signal to just 1 bar, enough to call for help.
Wow! I didn't know about this. Looks like a useful feature. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      11-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Cellphones can adjust their broadcast signal strength to help overcome a weak connection with the tower, so having the LTE compensator also means that your phone doesn't have to work as hard when it's in use, helping to keep the temperature down, and use more of the available power to charge the phone versus to keep a hard-working processor going.

As I mentioned, though, even if not charging, running high data volume constantly to support things like a gps and mapping going maybe while playing music is a tough task for any phone, and it will get at least warm...throw trying to charge it at the same time, while in a cubby where there's not a huge amount of air circulation, while also maybe in a case, and it makes the heating issue worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 06:53 AM   #13
RubiconJoey
Rep
Drives: No Bimmers (yet)

I'm not sure about iPhones, but in Samsung phones you can turn off fast wireless charging. I haven't tested this yet to see if it makes a difference, but I hope so. It sucks having to deal with charging cables.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 02:01 PM   #14
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Maybe related, maybe not. But whenever I use my Verizon/Android wireless charging stand for my work iPhone, the phone gets really hot, whereas the Samsungs and now Pixel never have.

They must draw a different wattage or whatever during a charge.
      02-23-2023, 07:27 AM   #15
mumakida52
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 45e

I have samsung Fold 4 and it gets way too hot to a point where the phone displays that it is hot and turns of wireless charging until it cools down a bit. Once it cools down under threshold, Wireless charging starts and phone gets hot within a minute and stops again. This is a constant cycle once the phone gets hot the first time you place it in the tray and it is very annoying. I am pretty sure it will damage my phone in long run.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:19 AM   #16
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

There is a member (Kwajtrader) in the Z4 forum who built a fan to cool the phone while charging. It seems to be a solution that several people like.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...harging+%2Bfan
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #17
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Your phone will automatically cycle off if needed due to excess heat. I've never had that happen except when I inadvertently leave my phone sitting in the sun during the summer.
      03-06-2023, 04:45 PM   #18
JMKBMWX5e
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Drive 45e

Aftermarket Wireless Charger

Just incase anyone is checking out this thread and doesn't want to pay $127 for what Amazon has. I am selling mine. I got a new X5 that comes with wireless charging so I don't need it anymore. It has a little fan that keeps the phone cool.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1998250
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #19
akunamitat
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i Msport pkg

Just picked up my 2024 X5 last night. Used the wireless charger and my phone overheated , disconnected my call and couldn’t use until it cooled down.

Any solutions to this ?

Thanks 😊
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akunamitat View Post
Just picked up my 2024 X5 last night. Used the wireless charger and my phone overheated , disconnected my call and couldn’t use until it cooled down.

Any solutions to this ?

Thanks 😊
don’t use it. seriously, whatever apps your phone was running at the time it overheated, if that’s your normal use, then don’t use it. those apps utilize X amount of processor which in turns causes heat. couple that with an inefficient wireless charger causes more heat, thus overheating and shutting down. you can try to mitigate this by only running essential apps so the processor isn’t taxed, but why go through all that?

the charger is only 5W and essentially needs near-perfect placement of the residing phone. I stopped using it after a week then mounted a MagSafe charger which has been going strong for almost three years

here’s a more recent thread on the same subject https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1976640
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 06:47 PM   #21
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Anyone talk to the BMW dealer about this overheating?

I had a long drive about 3 hours and was running the BMW nav and also Waze at the sametime. When I stopped to get lunch, I took my iPhone out and it was very hot and the display said it was hot and to let it cool off.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 12:10 AM   #22
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

normal with BMW wireless, not sure if normal as I have never used wireless charging except on my iWatch.
Appreciate 0