BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Apple CarPlay vs iDrive?

Picking up my G05 next week - should I expect Apple CarPlay to be installed and free to use, as I read BMW stopped charging the subscription for it?

I have an iPhone 11 Pro - is CarPlay a lot better then BMWs own iDrive system in terms of general smoothness and reliability? I tend to prefer using Google Maps over any other navigation system so would like to use that over BMWs system....

Also, the BMW wireless hotspot feature - can it be linked to the data from my iPhone or does it need its complete separate data plan? If so, whats the benefit over just creating a hotspot with my phone for passengers to jump on to?

I appreciate this may be noob questions and I apologise if they get on anyones nerves, although I'm new to the BMW system so just wanted to clarify beforehand....

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 06:29 AM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Yes CP should be active once your remote services are activated correctly.

I use both CP and idrive, its not totally one or the other. If you have drive assist systems then they work better with a route programmed into the idrive navigation, but from a mapping perspective that stops CP navigation working. So if you want google maps then you cant use idrive nav. There is an exception to this and thats to use TomTom navigation and idriv nav together which is what I do.

BMW wifi is a waste of time. It needs a separate overpriced data plan. You'd be better tethering via phone hotspot.
Appreciate 2
Xeno313.00
      07-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
I only ever use CarPlay. Waze, Google Maps and spotify interface are all great. Yes you don't get the HUD for navigation, but for the most part CarPlay does everything i need. would be great if at some point the integrated GMaps into the HUD though.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25081.00
      07-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

BMW has one of the best Apple car play integrations. I love that it is wireless and I get full screen with google maps I’m my X5. My S class is still wired, not sure if the newer Benzes or Porsches are wireless yet.
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

CarPlay works amazingly well for music. it's great to be able to use siri to create ad hoc playlists on the go. I don't use the carplay map apps all that much, I prefer to use BMW's navigation as it works with the hud, and frankly, its very very good. Yes the graphics arent as good as google maps, but the directions and voice guidance is much, much better than google. It's a lot more contextual like 'take a right at the next traffic light', and that's good enough for me.

I use carplay navigation when I'm going to work because apple/siri figures out your daily commute and gives you an eta based on the time of day/the day of the week etc. that's the only time I use it, just to have the eta be prominent on the carplay home screen.

in any case, as others have said, you'll absolutely love it
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

I would say that for day to day driving, I'm iDrive first. I use and like BMW's navigation.

That said, my iPhone connects every time, and is available should I want to use it. On trips we normally use BMW Nav and listen to Audible, though we have BMW Nav "in front".

I agree that the BMW Wifi through ATT is a waste, I was quite disappointed with that. The X5 does have an internal WiFi and Bluetooth that it uses and connects both to the iPhone.
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1037.00
      07-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

I personally like CarPlay's Google Map a lot better than iDrive.

While iDrive HUD integration is nice, but Google wins when it comes to routing when there is traffic, and the accuracy of traffic display. You can see the upcoming red location in the highway, you can start to slow before it becomes visible; while iDrive traffic display or alert is sometimes quite outdated.

Google Map's ETA is amazingly accurate, while iDrive's ETA is a constant moving post - it could be like 20 to 30min off in a 1 1/2 hour trip when there is traffic.

And I also like Google Map's real time alternate route ETA display on the map. And you can make real time decision when alternate route intersection/ramp is coming up.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I personally like CarPlay's Google Map a lot better than iDrive.

While iDrive HUD integration is nice, but Google wins when it comes to routing when there is traffic, and the accuracy of traffic display. You can see the upcoming red location in the highway, you can start to slow before it becomes visible; while iDrive traffic display or alert is sometimes quite outdated.

Google Map's ETA is amazingly accurate, while iDrive's ETA is a constant moving post - it could be like 20 to 30min off in a 1 1/2 hour trip when there is traffic.

And I also like Google Map's real time alternate route ETA display on the map. And you can make real time decision when alternate route intersection/ramp is coming up.
Precisely the points I like also!
Now if only BMW made it compatible with the HUD......
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Precisely the points I like also!
Now if only BMW made it compatible with the HUD......
It is for Android Auto!

Just our luck if CarPlay ever supports it, we'd get Apple Maps
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #10
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
I like having the option for either CarPlay or BMW's iDrive. That said, iDrive's user experience is light years ahead since HUD, the human interface is much better integrated with iDrive. CarPlay is really designed for a low bar of integration and while the applications might be slightly better in some cases, interfacing with them while driving the car is sub standard to BMW's HID integration.

TL;DR - I now almost elusively use BMW's iDrive. But on non BMW rental cars I will almost always use CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmitch View Post
I would say that for day to day driving, I'm iDrive first. I use and like BMW's navigation.

That said, my iPhone connects every time, and is available should I want to use it. On trips we normally use BMW Nav and listen to Audible, though we have BMW Nav "in front".

I agree that the BMW Wifi through ATT is a waste, I was quite disappointed with that. The X5 does have an internal WiFi and Bluetooth that it uses and connects both to the iPhone.
I'm pretty similar to micmitch, I almost exclusively use iDrive. I do connect my iPhone via BT at all times and utilize music, podcasts, phone, texts, all via iDrive. In reality, the iDrive improvements for iDrive 7 are much improved from my 2015, F15, so I've been fairly happy with just using it this route.

One of the key reasons is as others have noted, I use HUD a ton and love the navigation to be in my HUD, so you're relegated to iDrive Nav if that's what you want.

I think it also has a lot to do with how long you've been using iDrive. If you've been using it for years, it feels pretty good. If this is your first BMW, you may lean towards CarPlay. Honestly, given them both a try. Also, you can switch back-and-forth...at least theoretically.

I'm not sure why others are so down on the on-board Wi-Fi. I'm with AT&T and have set it up beyond the 3-month/3GB trial and like it. I found:
- You can add it to your existing AT&T plan for $10/month. It's just like adding another phone, iPad, etc. You pay the $10/month and it goes against the data plan you have...and in reality, if you're tethering or just using your cell phone in the vehicle, it really doesn't matter as you'd consume the data either way...so, it's about convenience for others in the vehicle to me and devices connect easily, consistently, etc.
- You can get an "All you can eat" plan just for the X Wi-Fi. While they say that's $25/month, I just got an offer a week or two ago where they gave me that for $15/month, since I'm an AT&T Customer. So, now, for $5/month (which is a Starbuck's coffee), I have all you can eat on my X6 Wi-Fi and billing, etc. is covered through my existing AT&T Wireless agreement. I'll now use less of my data plan for my phone and other devices when we travel, so it's a good deal, IMHO.

Enjoy your new X5 IftiBashir !! Congrats!!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #12
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I have my phone connected to the car through CarPlay setting. This is the best option for me.

I mostly navigate with Idrive navigation. I want to have the info in the HUD. And I like being able to write on the idrive controller. Entering an adres a is also easier in idrive. The only downside is that it is not connected to the adresbook when connected through CarPlay. So you can't enter the contacts in your phone as a destination. If you connect the phone in idrive mode you can.

Most of the time I enter the destination with the connected drive app before entering my car anyway.

If I want to use Waze or google maps I still can and I just open it in CarPlay. But I don't use it a lot.

For phone calls it is Carplay if it's connected that way. It's ok but I prefer the idrive phone app.

The main reason I am connected through CarPlay is playing music. I couldn't play all my playlists. It looks better too.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
I'm not sure why others are so down on the on-board Wi-Fi. I'm with AT&T and have set it up beyond the 3-month/3GB trial and like it. I found:
- You can add it to your existing AT&T plan for $10/month. It's just like adding another phone, iPad, etc. You pay the $10/month and it goes against the data plan you have...and in reality, if you're tethering or just using your cell phone in the vehicle, it really doesn't matter as you'd consume the data either way...so, it's about convenience for others in the vehicle to me and devices connect easily, consistently, etc.
- You can get an "All you can eat" plan just for the X Wi-Fi. While they say that's $25/month, I just got an offer a week or two ago where they gave me that for $15/month, since I'm an AT&T Customer. So, now, for $5/month (which is a Starbuck's coffee), I have all you can eat on my X6 Wi-Fi and billing, etc. is covered through my existing AT&T Wireless agreement. I'll now use less of my data plan for my phone and other devices when we travel, so it's a good deal, IMHO.

Enjoy your new X5 IftiBashir !! Congrats!!
The OP is in the UK and the hotspot price plan is ridiculously expensive.

10 euro per month for 3GB, 15 euro for 5GB and 25 euro for 10GB. It's insane.

I'd pay $10 a month for the convenience of using my own data plan but its not an option here
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
The OP is in the UK and the hotspot price plan is ridiculously expensive.

10 euro per month for 3GB, 15 euro for 5GB and 25 euro for 10GB. It's insane.

I'd pay $10 a month for the convenience of using my own data plan but its not an option here
Thanks for correcting me on that @ifr. I actually noticed the OP was in the UK after I had posted and was going to edit my response, but hadn't gotten to it.

Yea, for those kinds of costs, I wouldn't do it...clearly, more affordable in the US.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      07-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys - yes we always get screwed over here in the UK! lol
I have 100GB data with my phone contract, which I rarely use even a quarter of! I'll continue to tether the kids iPads to my phone
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Thanks guys - yes we always get screwed over here in the UK! lol
I have 100GB data with my phone contract, which I rarely use even a quarter of! I'll continue to tether the kids iPads to my phone
That's how I do it too. The price of the hotspot contract is crazy over here. The phone companies have much better deals.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #17
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

I prefer iDrive, somehow I don't like Google map interface its too big for me in Car Play also prefer HUD navigation so iDrive is the only option for iPhone users. Downside is that not all roads are updated in iDrive map so don't get proper route guidance in those scenario.

There is no data plan available in Australia.

I use carplay only for listening music on Spotify, I wish we had a option for Spotify app in iDrive like other countries.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:31 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I just remembered. The essential reason I connect my phone through CarPlay and not Idrive is the possibility to instruct Siri to read texts with the button on the steering wheel.

In my last car I was able to do this in Idrive mode but now it only work is when connected as CarPlay.

So

Connected to the car in CarPlay mode

Navigation: idrive
Rest: CarPlay

If accessing Siri with the button on the steering wheel is possible in Idrive after an update I would connect again in Idrive mode. Music, phone and navigating to contents of my address book is easier in Idrive (for me)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:40 AM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
I prefer iDrive, somehow I don't like Google map interface its too big for me in Car Play also prefer HUD navigation so iDrive is the only option for iPhone users. Downside is that not all roads are updated in iDrive map so don't get proper route guidance in those scenario.

There is no data plan available in Australia.

I use carplay only for listening music on Spotify, I wish we had a option for Spotify app in iDrive like other countries.
Seems CarPlay nav now works in HUD with 07/2020.

I know other oz owners have had Spotify in idrive, marcosg?
Appreciate 2
OzJedi107.00
marcosg24.50
      07-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #20
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:

Wow!! That's a great news, sadly I will have to wait until 07/2020 is available as OTA. My next service is due in Dec 2020 and I doubt they will upgrade my iDrive.

marcosg what software version do you have? Did you have to code to enable Spotify?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:03 AM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Wow!! That's a great news, sadly I will have to wait until 07/2020 is available as OTA. My next service is due in Dec 2020 and I doubt they will upgrade my iDrive.

marcosg what software version do you have? Did you have to code to enable Spotify?
07/2020 is scheduled for OTA delivery in October 2020. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      07-15-2020, 04:07 AM   #22
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have Spotify on iDrive. I enquired about it but was told it requires Connected Music, which isn't available in Australia. And no plans for BMW to make it available.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00