BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2022, 01:10 AM   #1
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

2022 electric deployable side steps / running boards

Hey guys, wary there's a few other threads sharing electric deployable side steps over the past year or so, but wanted to start a new one to discuss my 2022 foray.

There's the generic Jaguar Land Rover-style black plastic ones but I've been looking at a few Chinese sellers recently and saw a rather interesting "Maybach-style" running board (wider at the rear and with silver ascents) with BMW mounting brackets. I've been chatting with the seller. They say you won't need to drill holes as the bracket will be suited for the X5.

To use the jack points to lift the vehicle (which was an issue pointed out recently) they said it should be possible once you deploy the side steps. I don't know how true this is. Anyone with deployable side steps (including JLR ones) know how jack points are accessed when deployable side steps are fitted?

Another issue is aesthetics when they are not deployed. Because of the width of these Maybach- style steps, part of the rear sticks out from the body and a tiny bit towards the front. One immediate question I have for anyone well versed with the M Sport side skirt and X Line side skirt is whether the protrusion of the lower edge of the side skirt is more on the M Sport than on the X Line? Attaching photos of the side steps deployed and closed. Anyone who can share their knowledge would be much appreciated.

Also, while subjective, any opinion about the bit sticking out towards the rear? For an X Line which already has lots of silver highlights here and there, I think it'll probably be okay, though obviously altering the profile of the vehicle.

Thanks.

(I'll update this post more when I'm home with a computer)

My 2021 thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1794652

Other discussion: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865399
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
leehocrx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Hey guys, wary there's a few other threads sharing electric deployable side steps over the past year or so, but wanted to start a new one to discuss my 2022 foray.

There's the generic Jaguar Land Rover-style black plastic ones but I've been looking at a few Chinese sellers recently and saw a rather interesting "Maybach-style" running board (wider at the rear and with silver ascents) with BMW mounting brackets. I've been chatting with the seller. They say you won't need to drill holes as the bracket will be suited for the X5.

To use the jack points to lift the vehicle (which was an issue pointed out recently) they said it should be possible once you deploy the side steps. I don't know how true this is. Anyone with deployable side steps (including JLR ones) know how jack points are accessed when deployable side steps are fitted?

Another issue is aesthetics when they are not deployed. Because of the width of these Maybach- style steps, part of the rear sticks out from the body and a tiny bit towards the front. One immediate question I have for anyone well versed with the M Sport side skirt and X Line side skirt is whether the protrusion of the lower edge of the side skirt is more on the M Sport than on the X Line? Attaching photos of the side steps deployed and closed. Anyone who can share their knowledge would be much appreciated.

Also, while subjective, any opinion about the bit sticking out towards the rear? For an X Line which already has lots of silver highlights here and there, I think it'll probably be okay, though obviously altering the profile of the vehicle.

Thanks.

(I'll update this post more when I'm home with a computer)

My 2021 thread: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1794652

Other discussion: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865399
The pics don't look bad at all. I do not think i would mind the running board sticking out a little bit. When i tried to have the set i had purchased installed, i was explained that the jack pints would be at least be partially covered. There was no way to deploy the running board and hold it deployed so that the vehicle could be jacked up. Only way to trigger it was to open the door. So not sure how to keep it deployed.
My other problem was that i have X5 45e (plug in) and the battery pack didn't allow the rear of the running board to be attached effectively to the vehicle.
I have surrendered attempting to get this done. Having the plug in works so much better for me. Last time i put fuel in was 4.5 months ago and i still had over 40% of my fuel left.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehocrx View Post
The pics don't look bad at all. I do not think i would mind the running board sticking out a little bit. When i tried to have the set i had purchased installed, i was explained that the jack pints would be at least be partially covered. There was no way to deploy the running board and hold it deployed so that the vehicle could be jacked up. Only way to trigger it was to open the door. So not sure how to keep it deployed.
My other problem was that i have X5 45e (plug in) and the battery pack didn't allow the rear of the running board to be attached effectively to the vehicle.
I have surrendered attempting to get this done. Having the plug in works so much better for me. Last time i put fuel in was 4.5 months ago and i still had over 40% of my fuel left.
I think typically you can keep these deployed by opening door, closing door and stand on the steps. That way it won't retract until the next time you open and close the door.

Whether it completely clears the jack point is another question though I guess by protruding outside of the side of the vehicle it should clear the points. But yet another question is whether the deployed side steps would interfere with some jacks. Maybe the lifts used on garages will be okay, but probably not portable single point jacks.

I'm also wondering how the M sport side skirt compared with the X Line one in terms of silhouette at the bottom edge. In the last photo you see that a bit of silver is visible towards the front, disappears then a lot of it is visible towards the rear, when retracted. Im curious if on the X Line the silver would be visible throughout the entire length. If so, I think it might work out better than on the M Sport pictured...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #4
BimmerNewbie66
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Two things, newbie here! First, any pricing/availability info on these running boards? Second installation concerns. Is this something that I can take to a local mechanic who has BMW experience to install as this is DEFINITELY something I cannot handle!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 01:52 PM   #5
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Any additional info out there on installing these running boards?
Appreciate 0