BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2024, 11:32 AM   #1
ygillard
Rep
Drives: AUDI A6 Allroad

Do you lose power when hybrid battery is empty?

Hello,

I am new to the hybrid world and I am looking at getting a X5 50e. based on the type of travel I do, it is quite likely that on regular basis, I will have used all the EV mode way before my trip is over.

I have a few questions that seem a bit stupid but I cannot find the answer.

1) Is there a mixed mode were you get to use both the battery and the petrol engine at the same time to have both full power and better fuel economy ? What is the range you can get in that mode ?

2) What happens when the battery is depleted, do you end up with only the petrol engine up until you recharge ? In that case, you have only the performance of the petrol engine when you are passing cars (Which is significantly less as the electrical engine is almost 200 HP)

Thanks,

Yves.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 11:57 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygillard View Post
Hello,

I am new to the hybrid world and I am looking at getting a X5 50e. based on the type of travel I do, it is quite likely that on regular basis, I will have used all the EV mode way before my trip is over.

I have a few questions that seem a bit stupid but I cannot find the answer.

1) Is there a mixed mode were you get to use both the battery and the petrol engine at the same time to have both full power and better fuel economy ? What is the range you can get in that mode ?

2) What happens when the battery is depleted, do you end up with only the petrol engine up until you recharge ? In that case, you have only the performance of the petrol engine when you are passing cars (Which is significantly less as the electrical engine is almost 200 HP)

Thanks,

Yves.
short answer: no, you don't lose power when the hybrid battery is empty

long answer:
1) all of the 12V electronics in the vehicle are powered by the high voltage battery, so it wouldn't be wise to let it deplete, would it? the high voltage is fed through a DC>DC converter to get it down to 12V for the electronics.

2) it's a hybrid, so it's designed to use both powertrains. in Sport mode, it will use the ICE while the electric motor supplements. this leads to increased fuel efficiency. in Hybrid mode, it will prioritize the electric motor if conditions warrant. otherwise, it will use the ICE while the electric motor supplements, but if it deems driving electric is warranted, it will switch to the electric motor unlike Sport mode that primarily uses the ICE.

3) the battery never 'depletes' because not all of its capacity is utilized. of its 29.5kWh gross battery capacity, only 19.6kWh is usable in US/Canada models (everybody else gets 25.7kWh). when that is used up, the ICE will kick on (if not on already), and the vehicle will charge the battery to a minimum charge level so it can continue to supplement the ICE. the minimum charge level differs depending on which drive mode you're in: about 6% charge level while in Sport mode and 3% while in Hybrid mode. in normal driving situations, the ICE will never be without the electric motor. only in rare circumstances will the electric motor be offline, such as extreme cold or heat, or you've used up all its usable capacity while trying to pull a trailer up a steep mountain grade. in these cases, the ICE could be by itself and you will have a reduction in power. once conditions normalize, both powertrains will be available again.

and if you're wondering, there is no "reserve" once usable capacity is used up. the UNusable capacity is just that... not usable

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-05-2024 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bogey9910.50
      01-05-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Short answer is yes temporary- but your battery is almost never empty unless you do something intentional to make it so
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 01:42 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Short answer is yes temporary- but your battery is almost never empty unless you do something intentional to make it so
I’ve never experienced loss of power where the electric motor is offline and only the ICE is operating. it should never happen during normal driving circumstances, not even temporarily.

if it’s happening to your vehicle, there’s a problem
Appreciate 0