BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
Guy559
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Slam on the brakes…collision avoidance false alarm

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the new ‘23 xDrive45e for the past two weeks. No issues so far, though had a weird one crop up today.

As I was driving under an interstate overpass (starting from a full stop at a stop sign), without warning the collision avoidance system simultaneously sounded and slammed on the brakes. Had started from a stop, so going maybe 10-15 mph. No one in front of me and there was only traffic stopped in opposite lane and to the right side. Biggest real-time issue was the ‘jump scare’ and about 1/2 cup of water slamming into the dash from the abrupt/no-notice slamming of the brakes. That, and the concern of what would have happened at higher speeds. Pretty sure the car behind me came within a foot or two of rear-ending me.

Has anyone else experienced this?

In my ‘15 Hyundai Genesis (and my wife’s VW Atlas) we’ll get a warning tone every now and again as a false alarm. This is the first time a vehicle has slammed on the brakes for no apparent reason. Just glad I wasn’t holding a soda instead of water…cleanup would have been much tougher!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Sounds scary and glad it didn't cause an accident. I have gotten an alarm before out of the blue and it scared the crap out of me, but the brakes didn't activate.

I like the crash avoidance features, but this is something that does worry me. When automated systems have the ability to completely control the vehicle, including evasive steering, if/when they malfunction bad things can happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
I just experienced this last week. Was driving about 45 down a straight two lane road. There was a vehicle parked at the very end of a driveway, and I’m thinking this may have caused the issue. The vehicle braked with full force for maybe a second or so, and the “risk of collision with vehicle crossing from the left” icon appeared. The vehicle was pretty far away, which is why I was pretty shocked by this.

I’m generally pretty trusting of vehicle safety systems, but this was pretty concerning, because a vehicle behind me probably would have rear ended me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #4
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Happened to me once on the interstate. I assume that it feared the guy in the next lane was sliding over the broken white line, and maybe he was but I did not detect it. Kind of alarming, but it was over in a second and the car accelerated back to speed promptly
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:16 PM   #5
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Something similar happened to me with my 2019 50i M Sport. I was on a neighborhood street,..45mph zone,...and was rounding a a curve with DAP on and as I was about to approach the apex of the curve, the RED Car flashed in the HUD and Brakes were applied with some emergency steering maneuver being applied. Luckily I had one hand on the steering wheel and was able to make a correction didn't end up jumping the curve into the medium. If one were to ask me, I believe the camera saw shadow or something,...as there was no vehicle in front of me/close enough for the X5 to be slowed down by ACC.

The system on did it once in that area of the road,...and whenever I come through that area, I try to be in the same lane in attempt to reproduce the action, but it didn't re-occur.

Word to the wise,...always keep one hand on the steering wheel when using DAP as if the system (Cameras) think they saw something in the roadway, the vehicle will BRAKE HARD and attempt to SWERVE to miss whatever it is it thinks it saw! Also, I think the default "swerve" is to the Left! Hth

Last edited by JMD; 03-22-2023 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Enhanced!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Had the same driving over an expansion joint covered by a metal plate on a local street at low speeds

Not cool, wonder if this is something we can change in settings or report properly
      03-22-2023, 02:59 PM   #7
meninblue
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

Once mine refused to back out from garage - transition from concrete in garage to black driveway was somehow triggering it. Tried multiple times but car refused to move with nothing blocking the way! Had to pull forward and back out again very slowly to get past the 'invisible wall'... Happened only once so far
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #8
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I have not had this issue with mine (yet), but when backing out of my garage it will almost always see shadows as solid objects and apply the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:20 PM   #9
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

I've learned not to enter an intersection too quickly when someone from the right is turning in front of me. There's a 4-way stop near my home and twice the car has slammed on the brakes for me when I've started across (slowly, no danger of hitting them) early. Shocked the sh*t out of me the first time, just pissed me off the 2nd. But that's the way it works, so I've modified my behavior.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:38 PM   #10
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by meninblue View Post
Once mine refused to back out from garage - transition from concrete in garage to black driveway was somehow triggering it. Tried multiple times but car refused to move with nothing blocking the way! Had to pull forward and back out again very slowly to get past the 'invisible wall'... Happened only once so far
That happens once a month or so, usually at the time of day when distinct shadows are on the driveway. If I push the driver assist system button (with the green circle) to turn off the system it usually allows me to go, although sometimes I have to pull back in and start over.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:42 PM   #11
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
This stuff is scary to read. Glad these features can be turned off completely.

Red circle ftw.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 09:57 PM   #12
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
That happens once a month or so, usually at the time of day when distinct shadows are on the driveway. If I push the driver assist system button (with the green circle) to turn off the system it usually allows me to go, although sometimes I have to pull back in and start over.
I get this leaving my garage once every few weeks -- it slams on the brakes as it transitions from shadow into sun. My wife was pissed the first time it happened because she thought it was me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 10:45 PM   #13
JMKBMWX5e
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Drive 45e

I had this happen to me last week. It was raining like crazy and I was driving down a straight road around 35 then all of a sudden the red car flashed, alarm when off and the car braked. After the initial WTF!, the car started moving again. I assumed it was all the rain and wind caused some sensor to freak out.

BTW, I have friends with a very steep driveway. The car does not like to back down it. Jerks constantly, then I have to dive into the menus to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:13 AM   #14
Kristin Hoover
Private
Rep
Drives: A PIECE OF JUNK

I haven’t experienced this yet but I just disabled steering intervention on lane departure last week. When I was driving 45 mph on a two lane smooth curve road, a hard steering intervention suddenly applied taking me right to the middle barrier (I was in the left lane). I immediately corrected it but the intervention strength was so strong that I almost lost my grip. My friend thought I was falling asleep. It was a clear night. Pretty scary.
      03-23-2023, 12:23 AM   #15
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Yes I’ve had it happen twice during the last 2 years of ownership. It certainly scared me and my family and fortunately we were only going 30mph when the system slammed the brakes for a ghost car. It hasn’t happened in a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:25 AM   #16
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I've had the alert trigger with a false positive a few times (some backing out, some just driving around), but haven't yet had the full braking at speed false positive. I think that will be the time when I try to full disable all the automated "safety" systems permanently (and hopefully not after a resulting crash).

The false positives in BMW's systems are awful, the worst of any brand I've owned (small sample set, though, to be fair). I've certainly had more scary moments and near collisions from the false positive interventions than actual real driving incidents, and I hate that these badly-tuned systems are putting me and everyone else on the road in more danger than if they were not there.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 04:04 PM   #17
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

I'll have to check my settings and start a new thread where others can report what you have enabled/disabled, etc and what has triggered, etc. For me, it was just driving fast between 2 tractor trailers to not be in between them. Not even that fast. 40-55. This weekend, it was just driving on the left and when the transition from a regular metal rail median to a concrete median, it triggered side collision .
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #18
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I disabled braking intervention when parking. I also disabled steering intervention with Lane keeping; i find the steering wheel vibration enough ‘intervention’
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #19
Kristin Hoover
Private
Rep
Drives: A PIECE OF JUNK

Eventually I experienced this today. I was driving in a far right lane of a three lane road about 45 mph. A red pick up truck was exiting the local shopping center, rolling on the ramp waiting to merge. I even had a brief eye contact with the driver. He stopped when I was approaching as there were still a few cars behind me. Just when I was about to pass him, my car came to a full force brake, a red car symbol also flashed on dash. It felt like all the wheels were locked for half a second. This is more than a warning, This is a mean prank.

I just want to apologize to the car which was behind me. You don’t need to tell me, I know I looked so f***ing stupid at that moment although I didn’t do anything.
      04-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #20
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I recently also had similar experience. Came home from a ski trip, late at night, and trying to back into my garage, right before car enter garage, it braked hard and would not budge. Multiple tries, still cannot back in. There is nothing change in the garage or the way I back in. No time to debug this, so I parked outside for that night.
      04-05-2023, 09:34 PM   #21
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by meninblue View Post
Try to notice if the brake pedal movement is next to nothing just as you start the car. If the pedal is stiff, it's not an object sensing issue. It's a brake gremlin. Dealer refused to replace any parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #22
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Try to notice if the brake pedal movement is next to nothing just as you start the car. If the pedal is stiff, it's not an object sensing issue. It's a brake gremlin. Dealer refused to replace any parts.
Appreciate 0