06-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #67
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by König View Post
I think it might be large enough for some compacts - if concealing a pistol is the only concern... But it's small enough that it would likely not be viable for most. The other issue is that depending on state, county and sometimes city regulations on firearms transport in the US, it may not be legal (same reasoning as to why glove box isn't sufficient). There are companies that specialize in making lockable storage boxes that fit into specific spaces on vehicles, but there doesn't seem to be enough demand for BMWs for solutions to exist. I've been trying to search to see how some of the security forces around the world using X5s are handling firearms storage, but haven't been successful yet. Not to mention that concealment might not necessarily be a priority in these cases. I have to believe this is something BMW have thought about though, given their "Special Sales" division that includes "Authority Cars" and up-armored "Protection Vehicles."
There are two types of storage options being considered here, 1) storage for use and 2) storages for securing the weapon while not in the vehicle.

Storage for use is easy and there are numerous options available i.e magnate, holster, etc. Storage for securing the weapon is harder, I have a small security box that can be cabled to the car, under the seat as an example but cables are easily cut. Getting a box that bolts to the floor would work but would be expensive and would require altering the vehicle. The best bet is installing something under the rear deck in the spare well. Less likely a thief will take the time to go there but it will also require the user to open (possible unload the rear) the deck to secure the weapon.
Appreciate 1
König20.00
      06-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #68
König
König
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
There are two types of storage options being considered here, 1) storage for use and 2) storages for securing the weapon while not in the vehicle.

Storage for use is easy and there are numerous options available i.e magnate, holster, etc. Storage for securing the weapon is harder, I have a small security box that can be cabled to the car, under the seat as an example but cables are easily cut. Getting a box that bolts to the floor would work but would be expensive and would require altering the vehicle. The best bet is installing something under the rear deck in the spare well. Less likely a thief will take the time to go there but it will also require the user to open (possible unload the rear) the deck to secure the weapon.
Good points. I've also considered getting a custom box made to fit the spare tire area for more secure storage of any kind.

I just found an old post on this forum for a different model of BMW where someone found an OEM "weapons box" part that replaces one of the door panels. This would possibly solve the problem if there's an X5 equivalent...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_4096
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #69
Jobbie
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Most Americans don't mount gun safes in their vehicles, this is just as strange to me (going to quantify this as my father has been a lifetime NRA member since 1961, and I started shooting target practice at 4). I don't understand those people who feel so scared that they need a gun available at all times.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this guy is an idiot. Having a gun is literally pointless if you don't have it with you.

Wife: "Honey, he's trying to hurt us and is threatening our life! Do you have the gun?"
TXSchnee: "Yeah babe! it's back at home in the nightstand"
🤡

I carry daily, am an NRA instructor and USPSA competitor. Keep it with you if you can. Just the same, interested in a vault for my X5M, so I'll go back to reading the thread, now.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #70
Flanntastic
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Im a gun dealer, I carry everyday, when I am going into my kids school or the bank I pull my whole holster out and stick it in the glovebox. And I keep a subgun in the sparetire center
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 08:11 AM   #71
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

And there is this:

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/01/31/...windows-video/

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #72
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
No need for a safe or other holder. I always keep my sidearm on my person. It's of no use otherwise. You never know when the bad guy will materialize and you must be ready to defend yourself instantly.
Exactly. I refuse to go in somewhere that my handgun isn’t permitted. It can be as simple as you want it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #73
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

My SIG fits perfectly in small compartment on lower left just above my left knee. I have necessary concealed permits and live in an "open carry" state. Rarely do I not have it on me when exiting my car. I very rarely visit any place that doesn't allow CC. Even where I live and there are restaurants and such that show "no firearms" we all carry open and they never ever say a word to anyone. Even when law enforcement is present, they don’t say anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #74
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbie View Post
Quote:
Most Americans don't mount gun safes in their vehicles, this is just as strange to me (going to quantify this as my father has been a lifetime NRA member since 1961, and I started shooting target practice at 4). I don't understand those people who feel so scared that they need a gun available at all times.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this guy is an idiot. Having a gun is literally pointless if you don't have it with you.

Wife: "Honey, he's trying to hurt us and is threatening our life! Do you have the gun?"
TXSchnee: "Yeah babe! it's back at home in the nightstand"
🤡

I carry daily, am an NRA instructor and USPSA competitor. Keep it with you if you can. Just the same, interested in a vault for my X5M, so I'll go back to reading the thread, now.
I am a woman, and have been shooting guns for 40 years (sport shooting). I have never felt the need to be armed anywhere, and I do currently live in a city, and have lived in the lovingly nicknamed Murdeapolis (Minneapolis). If you are a scared man, that isn't my problem, no one needs to be armed daily, unless they are soldiers in a war zone.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 4
parkstr8562.00
mobilejo1114.50
scottomfg286.50
volodp196.50
      02-07-2022, 01:30 PM   #75
grimluster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
I am a woman, and have been shooting guns for 40 years (sport shooting). I have never felt the need to be armed anywhere, and I do currently live in a city, and have lived in the lovingly nicknamed Murdeapolis (Minneapolis). If you are a scared man, that isn't my problem, no one needs to be armed daily, unless they are soldiers in a war zone.
Whether you feel the need to be armed or not isn't anyone else's concern. What makes you think your opinion matters and should be applied to everyone else?
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #76
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimluster View Post
Quote:
Whether you feel the need to be armed or not isn't anyone else's concern. What makes you think your opinion matters and should be applied to everyone else?
I was responding to another poster, who was quoted in there. In which he called me an idiot (and a dude). Why do you care?
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 5
parkstr8562.00
mobilejo1114.50
Auricom4361.50
scottomfg286.50
volodp196.50
      02-07-2022, 06:20 PM   #77
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Can mount to seat or trunk

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-slider-series/
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2022, 01:57 AM   #78
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvgossman View Post
I've never had a permanently mounted gun safe in a car because they're all too bulky, more suited to a big pickup truck or something. I also don't want to sacrifice space in the center console in my 2021 X5.

What have you X5 and pistol owners used?

Then this item popped up as a Facebook ad, it looks intriguing:

https://varasafety.com

Evidently this is their second generation, quicker response to fingerprint. What intrigues me is what appears to be the small size. I don't suppose anyone has installed this in their car? Or something similar? There's a broad expanse of carpeted real estate on the left side of the center console where your right knee is. What's under there in case I need to screw a mount in there? See photo.

This company provides a seat mount kit, one option being to attach it to a seat bolt. See photo, it's not obvious if there's a bolt there, or how to access it, anyone know? I can see it would be a problem using the seat bolt mount option because moving the seat forward would interfere with it. I always have my seat all the way back, but another driver could cause trouble there.

A broad piece of Velcro might attach securely enough to that carpeted area, but not sure if there's a mount option to allow that.

Anyone else found a pleasing solution to this issue? I currently use a Gun Vault on the floorboard, you can see it in the photo. Having it unlocked is not an option, and having it locked in a way that makes it impossible to have ready quickly is not an option.
Omg can't we just answer the man's honest question and not make it a political statement.

I applaud you for showing responsible gun ownership. You are right there are times where you either cannot conceal carry a gun in certain places and have to leave it in the car, or you are transporting a Firearms to and from the Range and have to stop somewhere. It's very responsible of you to make sure that is safely locked away.

As far as all those other people have commented whether we need to or can carry or own a firearm, is our second amendment right to be able to do so as Americans. Do you want to have a right to not want to have one I don't criticize the rest of us.

Weather concealed carry owner or just someone transporting a firearm to go shooting somewhere I think what you're asking is very reasonable.

I would personally recommend VAULTEK as ones that can be strapped onto a structural part of the car or perhaps look into the hornady safes which go between the seats.

Ps I would no prefer fingerprint reader vaults in general unless they also have a touchpad. Fingerprint readers are approximately 98% accurate at best. We all know this from having phones with fingerprint readers were sometimes we have to do it again. In an emergency situation where seconds count, I wouldn't want to be trying to get it to read my fingerprints two or three times. Otherwise in general I do like the technology
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #79
grimluster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
I was responding to another poster, who was quoted in there. In which he called me an idiot (and a dude). Why do you care?
You said that no one needs to be armed daily. You may feel that way, but it doesn't mean that it applies to everyone else. People are sprinkled across fancy country club neighborhoods to the jungles of South Chicongo. Not everyone enjoys the same privileges.

Last edited by grimluster; 02-09-2022 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
AAA59.00
      02-08-2022, 09:44 PM   #80
Rondi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X6 40i, ‘14 BMW X3 35i

No need for safe/lock in the car. Carry on your belt, on a coldre, always with you, handy. If you need to leave it in the car, for a short amount of time, use the spare tire area.
      02-09-2022, 05:27 AM   #81
TexasBimmer89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

The same company makes these as well:

https://vaulteksafe.com/lifepod-20/

They are portable, but can be cable locked to a tie down point in the car somewhere. Pretty handy when needing to disarm when picking your kid up from school, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #82
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Perfectly legitimate conversation by all for the most part, but overall I'm really sad and concerned about the state of our country that this is even a topic of such heated discussion.

What does it say about us that in the most prosperous country in the world which is probably one of the most highly policed as well, many people are afraid or concerned enough to feel a need to be armed wherever the go? Is that really living? I remember someone telling me they went to London on a family holiday and had never felt more unsafe. I asked why and he said because he didn't have a gun, and most of the cops he saw as well were unarmed.. How sad is that? I can only imagine what violence he may have experienced to have that mindset.

I refuse to believe we can figure out how to make cars self drive, reuse launch rockets and master working remotely for millions of us all in 6 to 10 years maybe but we cannot figure out how to address our society's problems that have led to violence for years and ultimately leads people to feel a need to always be hyper prepared. Look at the sad video in the previous post, one minute guy is enjoying a nice quiet drive playing his music and the next it's like a life and death run to Kabul airport. America can solve any problem if we cared enough.

Call me naive or idealistic, but I think we all need to be better and do better In our own little ways in each of our corners. That way the whole starts to get better, and we can leave all our children something to be proud of. Take care all and safe driving.
      02-12-2022, 04:41 PM   #83
TexasBimmer89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Perfectly legitimate conversation by all for the most part, but overall I'm really sad and concerned about the state of our country that this is even a topic of such heated discussion.

What does it say about us that in the most prosperous country in the world which is probably one of the most highly policed as well, many people are afraid or concerned enough to feel a need to be armed wherever the go? Is that really living? I remember someone telling me they went to London on a family holiday and had never felt more unsafe. I asked why and he said because he didn't have a gun, and most of the cops he saw as well were unarmed.. How sad is that? I can only imagine what violence he may have experienced to have that mindset.

I refuse to believe we can figure out how to make cars self drive, reuse launch rockets and master working remotely for millions of us all in 6 to 10 years maybe but we cannot figure out how to address our society's problems that have led to violence for years and ultimately leads people to feel a need to always be hyper prepared. Look at the sad video in the previous post, one minute guy is enjoying a nice quiet drive playing his music and the next it's like a life and death run to Kabul airport. America can solve any problem if we cared enough.

Call me naive or idealistic, but I think we all need to be better and do better In our own little ways in each of our corners. That way the whole starts to get better, and we can leave all our children something to be proud of. Take care all and safe driving.
Because no matter how good of person you are or how advanced society is, evil still exists.

Now back to the technical topic of this thread. There have been some good options discussed for temporary, secure(ish) storage of a firearm.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 02:45 AM   #84
König
König
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x50i M-Sport

I saw this headrest option recently - https://www.theheadrestsafe.com/. I think it may have been released at Shot Show and evidently they were at SEMA earlier this month. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable using this on multiple levels, but since the thread is about sharing potential options for firearm storage
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #85
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimluster View Post
You said that no one needs to be armed daily. You may feel that way, but it doesn't mean that it applies to everyone else. People are sprinkled across fancy country club neighborhoods to the jungles of South Chicongo. Not everyone enjoys the same privileges.
Leaving aside the gun debate are there moderators on this site who monitor language like "jungles of South Chicongo"?
Appreciate 0