First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Just a heads up, and I know some members have mentioned this before, but having your front windows tinted will affect the brightness of your digital screens (both of them). That's because it lessens the amount of light entering the cockpit, but more specifically the instrument cluster.

The digital instrument cluster works kind of like your cell phone (if you have automatic brightness on) and it adjusts its brightness based on the amount of light it receives. Which then brightens or darkens both the gauges and the iDrive screens simultaneously.

I witnessed this many times today when it was overcast then sunny then cloudy again. There were times when the both screens were a bit too dimmed for me to see, but as soon as I lowered my driver side window to let in more light, the screens immediately brightened up. And when I rolled up my window, the screens would dim out again.
I usually on the sunroof shade and viola
My sunroof shade is always open.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just a heads up, and I know some members have mentioned this before, but having your front windows tinted will affect the brightness of your digital screens (both of them). That's because it lessens the amount of light entering the cockpit, but more specifically the instrument cluster.

The digital instrument cluster works kind of like your cell phone (if you have automatic brightness on) and it adjusts its brightness based on the amount of light it receives. Which then brightens or darkens both the gauges and the iDrive screens simultaneously.

I witnessed this many times today when it was overcast then sunny then cloudy again. There were times when the both screens were a bit too dimmed for me to see, but as soon as I lowered my driver side window to let in more light, the screens immediately brightened up. And when I rolled up my window, the screens would dim out again.
I usually on the sunroof shade and viola
My sunroof shade is always open.
how dark are your windows? Mine are 25% up front, 80 on the windshield and 5% everywhere else. opening the shade has always fixed this but I do like in sunny Texas
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #25
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Thanks for the information. I'll have to make sure I have the auto brightness off.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

Do you think a clear UV tint would also affect the auto dim feature?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:08 PM   #27
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
how dark are your windows? Mine are 25% up front, 80 on the windshield and 5% everywhere else. opening the shade has always fixed this but I do like in sunny Texas
I just had the shop match it to the rear windows, and they went with 15%. No wonder my displays are so dimmed on cloudy days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCav View Post
Thanks for the information. I'll have to make sure I have the auto brightness off.
I was referring to the auto brightness on cell phones. I don't think the car's display auto brightness can be turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Do you think a clear UV tint would also affect the auto dim feature?
No, it shouldn't. Clear UV tint blocks UV and does nothing to the VLT, which is visible light transmission. As long as the amount of light/brightness is coming through the windows is high, your display will brighten up. UV rays can not be seen, so it doesn't affect the displays.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #28
gtank
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I had the shop match my back windows and looks like they went with 15%. It’s pretty dark. I’d recommend 20 or 25 and may end up redoing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #29
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I just had the front side windows tinted with 3m color stable 35. I like the darkness but the color is a very neutral gray whereas the rear glass has a brown or bronze hue. Can anyone can suggest a tint that matches the color of the factory glass?

Last edited by robby818; 02-10-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:09 AM   #30
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
I just had the front side windows tinted with 3m color stable 35. I like the darkness but the color is a very neutral gray whereas the rear glass has a brown or bronze hue. Can anyone can suggest a tint that matches the color of the factory glass?
Bumping this thread. I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Ideally I'd like to match the color hue between front and rear factory tints
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Bumping this thread. I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Ideally I'd like to match the color hue between front and rear factory tints
We went with Suntek CXP and it best matched with the factory color. Crystaline was too much bronze and Color Stable Tech was too gray. Other options was the Prestige Spectra PhotoSync, but it was too $$
I believe we went with 35% rear (with factory tint) and 18% front to match transparency, but back is a bit darker.
Both front and rear looks super dark from outside, but from inside looking out isnt as dark.

We went with Crystaline on the sunroof for best heat reduction and UV protection (we are in Arizona)

Only had it for a week, but so far no problem with auto dim on displays. Have not driven at night, so we will see if its too dark
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #32
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
We went with Suntek CXP and it best matched with the factory color. Crystaline was too much bronze and Color Stable Tech was too gray. Other options was the Prestige Spectra PhotoSync, but it was too $$
I believe we went with 35% rear (with factory tint) and 18% front to match transparency, but back is a bit darker.
Both front and rear looks super dark from outside, but from inside looking out isnt as dark.

We went with Crystaline on the sunroof for best heat reduction and UV protection (we are in Arizona)

Only had it for a week, but so far no problem with auto dim on displays. Have not driven at night, so we will see if its too dark
Thanks for sharing. I ended up going with Lumar Formula 1 line. It also matches the rears tint shade pretty well. I went with 40% front (rears are measured at around 18% as you said) but on cloudy days, the instrument cluster gets a bit dimmer than normal (I doubt you guys in AZ have much cloudy days )
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #33
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Newbie question. My G05 will arrive sometime in late July or early September 2019. I heard the factory tint for the rear windows is 30%. Is that right? What about the rear hatch?

Do installers these day still need to unscrew the door panels to do a proper tint on the driver and passenger sides?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #34
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Newbie question. My G05 will arrive sometime in late July or early September 2019. I heard the factory tint for the rear windows is 30%. Is that right? What about the rear hatch?

Do installers these day still need to unscrew the door panels to do a proper tint on the driver and passenger sides?
Technique varies from installer to installer. Mine did not, but I think it is a good question to ask up front. I would not go to anyone who feels it is necessary to do that much disassembly. I had one installer use a blow torch on the outside of my windows to seal the tint. That was a terrible idea as it melted the rubber seal around the window and discolored the water repellent coating on the glass. I haven't returned to that shop.

Also, the rears are not tinted. They are colored glass. It is impossible to get a perfect match because you are comparing glass to a plastic film, but as long as the color is close it wont matter too much. You cant tell from outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #35
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Technique varies from installer to installer. Mine did not, but I think it is a good question to ask up front. I would not go to anyone who feels it is necessary to do that much disassembly. I had one installer use a blow torch on the outside of my windows to seal the tint. That was a terrible idea as it melted the rubber seal around the window and discolored the water repellent coating on the glass. I haven't returned to that shop.

Also, the rears are not tinted. They are colored glass. It is impossible to get a perfect match because you are comparing glass to a plastic film, but as long as the color is close it wont matter too much. You cant tell from outside.

Oh, got it. If the rears are colored glass, then is it necessary to tint them? I know BMW marks-up their tinting service a lot and they're just hiring a 3rd-party to do it, but at least, I think BMW will take responsibility if things screw up. I will have to shop around and ask. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #36
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Oh, got it. If the rears are colored glass, then is it necessary to tint them? I know BMW marks-up their tinting service a lot and they're just hiring a 3rd-party to do it, but at least, I think BMW will take responsibility if things screw up. I will have to shop around and ask. Thanks
A lot of ppl put a light tint on the rear glass purely for the UV protection and keeping the cabin cool. I never have, nor do I plan to, because I don't think the "green house" effect with having the front 2 windows tinted is that bad. A buddy of mine gets the front 2 tinted to the legal limit ~20% then has the windshield and all others tinted at whatever the minimum is, which I can't remember but for some reason ~70% for formula one ceramic is coming to mind. He swears it keeps his car cool during the summer, but IMO the improvement is marginal at best.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #37
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't do the rears either but I may do it the next time around just to see if there is any difference. Its 100 for the two fronts and 340 for all the windows with 3m CS at the place i like. G5 in Alhambra, CA. They are great. Appt only and they are professional about all aspects.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #38
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't do the rears either but I may do it the next time around just to see if there is any difference. Its 100 for the two fronts and 340 for all the windows with 3m CS at the place i like. G5 in Alhambra, CA. They are great. Appt only and they are professional about all aspects.
If you have kids or adults in the back regularly, i highly recommend just doing the rear. cost is not much more. heat is probably not a big deal since your in Cali, but uv protection is important, imo
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #39
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:

Where did you get the pano roof done at? I talked to two places and they keep telling me no because it causes them to break to easy... Or did you just do the sunroof part that opens?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #40
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Where did you get the pano roof done at? I talked to two places and they keep telling me no because it causes them to break to easy... Or did you just do the sunroof part that opens?
Cactus Tint in Scottsdale...it was the whole sunroof. they've done plenty there before. because of the size (anything over 20") they had to charge for additional panel. I think it was $170ea, so $340 total. it looks like a difficult job, maybe other shops dont want to do it???

Eventhough im not a fan of the bronze look, its well worth it. we have our whole 4 with the 3M Crystaline and it kept direct sunlight from blasting into the car when driving. heat reduction and uv protection is best from what I had before.

If you decide to do it there, let the owner, i think his name is Rich, know Francis Ly sent you and you might get a 10% off
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #41
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cactus Tint in Scottsdale...it was the whole sunroof. they've done plenty there before. because of the size (anything over 20") they had to charge for additional panel. I think it was $170ea, so $340 total. it looks like a difficult job, maybe other shops dont want to do it???

Eventhough im not a fan of the bronze look, its well worth it. we have our whole 4 with the 3M Crystaline and it kept direct sunlight from blasting into the car when driving. heat reduction and uv protection is best from what I had before.

If you decide to do it there, let the owner, i think his name is Rich, know Francis Ly sent you and you might get a 10% off
Yeah sounds like a plan to me, when Im back in town. I currently have the ceramic clear on all windows except the top and you can easily tell. It will be nice to have that done too!!! Thanks for the info.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2019, 06:46 PM   #42
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
What is the best clear tint for UV/heat reduction? I'm wanting to put in on all windows and sunroof. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #43
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
What is the best clear tint for UV/heat reduction? I'm wanting to put in on all windows and sunroof. Thanks.
Pretty much any ceramic will do, but I prefer 3m but have used others before. Never a bad experience yet.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #44
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
not sure if its the best, but the shop here in Arizona uses 3M Crystaline and it was 2nd behind Prestige Spectra PhotoSync in terms of price. Prestige do have a slightly better UV/heat reduction rating. They do a lot of higher end cars and people usually go with the Prestige.
Appreciate 0