BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

04-23-2019, 04:13 AM   #23
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

If you don’t enjoy driving the NSX anymore then let it go, but keep in mind that it would be very difficult to get another one. Cayman are a dime a dozen, easy to come by.

NSX was a halo car in its day and is still remarkable even now. Cayman is entry level in its day and depreciating daily. I would not trade a appreciating HALO car for a depreciating dime a dozen car.

If you seriously are over the NSX, which it doesn’t sound like you just sound restless btw, then I would enjoy the NSX for now and let it continue to appreciate. Meanwhile save up some more cash for a 997 GTS, or as you suggested a GT4 or R8 with a manual. Those are cars that would hold value and not be a let down coming from that beautiful NSX, and I think a little patience here will get you into one of the cars you really want rather than if you settle today for an affordable “quick fix”.

And for me... Trading that beauty for a common turbo 4 banger... not a chance in hell lol. Don’t let being restless push you into making a big mistake.

Honestly, I think you need to take that NSX into the canyons Weds instead of looking at 718’s. That should get your head straight

Last edited by Biginboca; 04-23-2019 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You've bought three NSX?// jesus if you sell this one you're gonna take a massive loss. Just fucking keep it and swing the Cayman at 3%.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Yeah, I know, that's why I'm now considering waiting and saving more maybe getting one of these instead

You see...this is why I'm torn. I agree with both thoughts

Ughh
If it were me personally I'd hold off another while longer, save up and hold out for an R8. I'm also biased, I've wanted an R8 since they debuted in 2008 . It's just such a beautiful looking car and unique, kind of like the NSX.

I know it would be nice to have newer creature comforts that a 90's car just doesn't have but I wouldn't ditch the NSX for a cayman
      04-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

OP is talking about getting a 981, not a 718. Melodious flat-six, not a farty (but faster) four-banger.

I had a 981 Cayman S - it’s not quick in a straight line, and it’s not rare. But it’s a special drive, especially on the street and/or in the hands of someone not experienced enough to get 9/10ths out of a GT3. If you’re comparing it to a GT3, though, sure - it’s not as special. But why are we talking about GT3’s when OP says he has $50k to spend?

But now, to your question - i would absolutely not sell the NSX for a Cayman. The reason is simple - the NSX is a car that comes attached to a legend. The Cayman is probably a better car in every way, but...legends matter.

That NSX is a beauty. If i still had my 981 i’d trade it to you in a heartbeat. You’re probably already getting pm’s now, lol
Appreciate 2
xQx902.50
      04-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #27
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You've bought three NSX?// jesus if you sell this one you're gonna take a massive loss. Just fucking keep it and swing the Cayman at 3%.

Never took a loss on an NSX and my current one I'm looking at a nice profit...but yeah, I think keeping her is the right choice as far as financially but sometimes I just want to cash out and buy something newer then trade up a couple years later for something else....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #28
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

981 vs R8

I was in a similar situation last year, except coming from a C6 Vette instead of an NSX. A manual R8 (2008-2009) was an attractive option, but the desirable colors (not silver or black) were impossible to find for under $70K. I also had my doubts about the driving experience. The gated shifter would feel really special, but I don't think the car would've have driven as well as a 981 S. Maintenance issues were also concerning.

I ended up with a Cayman GTS. It was a bit tough to find a Cayman S with all of the right options. The GTS is also a little more unique than a standard Cayman S and still new enough that I could get a CPO model. After reading the Car and Driver review of the GT4, I was convinced that the gap between it and the GTS was pretty small when used only on the street. Admittedly the GT4 was out of my price range.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #29
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
OP is talking about getting a 981, not a 718. Melodious flat-six, not a farty (but faster) four-banger.

I had a 981 Cayman S - it’s not quick in a straight line, and it’s not rare. But it’s a special drive, especially on the street and/or in the hands of someone not experienced enough to get 9/10ths out of a GT3. If you’re comparing it to a GT3, though, sure - it’s not as special. But why are we talking about GT3’s when OP says he has $50k to spend?

But now, to your question - i would absolutely not sell the NSX for a Cayman. The reason is simple - the NSX is a car that comes attached to a legend. The Cayman is probably a better car in every way, but...legends matter.

That NSX is a beauty. If i still had my 981 i’d trade it to you in a heartbeat. You’re probably already getting pm’s now, lol
Yes, you are correct in just about every sense.......maybe I can find someone who wants to trade for a month or so

I think the right thing to do is just hold out for an R8 or wait a little longer for the GT4 to come down some more.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #30
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff113 View Post
I was in a similar situation last year, except coming from a C6 Vette instead of an NSX. A manual R8 (2008-2009) was an attractive option, but the desirable colors (not silver or black) were impossible to find for under $70K. I also had my doubts about the driving experience. The gated shifter would feel really special, but I don't think the car would've have driven as well as a 981 S. Maintenance issues were also concerning.

I ended up with a Cayman GTS. It was a bit tough to find a Cayman S with all of the right options. The GTS is also a little more unique than a standard Cayman S and still new enough that I could get a CPO model. After reading the Car and Driver review of the GT4, I was convinced that the gap between it and the GTS was pretty small when used only on the street. Admittedly the GT4 was out of my price range.
Nice...love the GTS ... the 981 correct? Any pics???

I wish I was trading something that was depreciating like a C7 it would make it an easy choice, but the hardest part for me is getting rid of something that just keeps climbing in value....but at some point I want to cash out and just move on to something newer.

How do you like the GTS compared to your other cars you've had??
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #31
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
As others have said, do NOT sell the NSX. In fact, NEVER sell the NSX.

Get a Miata to keep your NSX company... have the fun of a Porsche without the worry or expense.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 4
      04-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #32
Z06Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92, MG F32 440i

The R8 will be leagues above the NSX....finding a manual is tough due to limited numbers so be prepared to pay top dollar for one.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #33
mikesx4911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

The NSX is like a staple of the 90's it's a MOFO SUPERCAR! That car came out ahead of it's

time and even till this day looks modern. If I was you I would keep the NSX I feel like the

value will remain the same or appreciate. But also YOLO live a little right lol. But your NSX

is god damn gorgeous man. I'm shocked your kids haven't started asking for it yet haha.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #34
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

dont sell it..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #35
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Keep the NSX, value will only go up. Perhaps you can find Cayman to rent for few days or at the worst buy for short period and sell.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #36
Matt 335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMB 50e | e92 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
But the Cayman or the Boxter is the Porsche you buy if you can't afford a 911.
Ignorant comment.
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
      04-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #37
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post
Ignorant comment.
Yeah, I'm not surprised someone objected to that comment.

When Porsche start treating their Cayman / Boxter range as something more than an entry-level range that's inferior by design, I'll start showing them some respect.

Until then, I'll stand by my comments. They are to Porsche what the 318i is to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #38
bmwbaltimorem5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M5

They both are very nice cars. I would keep both ...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #39
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 335is View Post
Ignorant comment.
Yeah... You can quickly get the price of a new Cayman up close to base 911 prices and or could easily buy a slightly used CPO 911 for the price of a base Cayman. They are completely different cars....there is a funny quote about the difference out there that I read the other day, I'll try to find it.

Ten ways the Cayman is better then the 911
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...n-the-911.html

"Many Cayman buyers got a Cayman not because they wanted a Porsche. But because they wanted a Cayman. The Cayman says I bought a Porsche for performance. The 911 says I bought a Porsche for the women"

Another one to help educate the ignorant
https://openroadautogroup.com/blog/p...yman-which-buy

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-24-2019 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #40
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:

When Porsche start treating their Cayman / Boxter range as something more than an entry-level range that's inferior by design, I'll start showing them some respect.

Until then, I'll stand by my comments. They are to Porsche what the 318i is to BMW.
Inferior by design???
You mean how they purposely give them less power then the 911 because it would kick the crap out of its older brother (911) if given the same?

What the 318i is to BMW???

Is that why you bought a 1 series???
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #41
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:

yup its the same with ferrari and the californias.

base models are there for a reason. the boxster saved porsche from going under.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:59 AM   #42
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Inferior by design???
You mean how they purposely give them less power then the 911 because it would kick the crap out of its older brother (911) if given the same?
So, yes... and when you put it that way, it sounds really bloody rich / stupid coming from someone who drives around in a N54 BMW. (The 1000hp capable engine that BMW sold in a ridiculously de-tuned state so as not to compete with the S65)

Quote:
What the 318i is to BMW???
Yeah, I'm showing my age. The 318i was the cheapest BMW money could buy. Totally uninspiring in almost every way, and rarely ever serviced because their owners could barely afford the repayments, let alone the servicing.

Quote:
Is that why you bought a 1 series???
Okay, truth be told, the reason I bought a 1 series is I couldn't afford a supercharged M3 (E46 or E90). ... but for the amount I've paid over the past 3 years in maintenance, modifications and depreciation - I could've easily paid for a supercharged E90 by now.

A (N54) 135i or 335i might one day be a classic, but it'll never be a M3.
A Cayman (especially the GT series) might also one day be a classic (and I do love small, fast cars), but it lives in the shadow of the 911.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #43
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:
Nice...love the GTS ... the 981 correct? Any pics???

I wish I was trading something that was depreciating like a C7 it would make it an easy choice, but the hardest part for me is getting rid of something that just keeps climbing in value....but at some point I want to cash out and just move on to something newer.

How do you like the GTS compared to your other cars you've had??
Yes, it's a 981 GTS. I figured the value would be more stable than a C7. Plus I always like to try different cars. I haven't owned two cars from the same manufacturer yet.

Owning an appreciating car would be great, but it would force me to buy something that was at least 10 years old. That was hard to justify with a two-car setup (DD+weekend car).

The 981 is far superior to my C6, although I do miss the low-end torque and cheap maintenance costs. It feels like the best qualities of my C6 and my 335 combined. I would recommend getting on Turo and see what cars you can rent near you. I made my decision after renting a 987.1 Cayman S. Now I am on the hunt for a new daily driver so I rented a Focus RS over the weekend. A Turo rental is the best way to evaluate a car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #44
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff113 View Post
Yes, it's a 981 GTS. I figured the value would be more stable than a C7. Plus I always like to try different cars. I haven't owned two cars from the same manufacturer yet.

Owning an appreciating car would be great, but it would force me to buy something that was at least 10 years old. That was hard to justify with a two-car setup (DD+weekend car).

The 981 is far superior to my C6, although I do miss the low-end torque and cheap maintenance costs. It feels like the best qualities of my C6 and my 335 combined. I would recommend getting on Turo and see what cars you can rent near you. I made my decision after renting a 987.1 Cayman S. Now I am on the hunt for a new daily driver so I rented a Focus RS over the weekend. A Turo rental is the best way to evaluate a car.
Nice! Well I went and test drove the one in Irvine today...what a gem of a car!!!

This little Betty was the base 2016 model 981 with sport suspension /the 20" Carrera wheels /6 speed manual .. my salesman happen to be a former SCCA instructor.... couldn’t have asked for a better salesman to take a test drive with!!! Holy crap !!! The Cayman is amazing!!!

First thing he told me was to drive it like I stole it... after I drove it around the industrial area of Irvine for a few laps, he asked me if I wanted a demonstration of what the car was really capable of... hell yes! So he hopped in the driver seat and showed me what this car was all about .... let me just say IM SOLD!!!

Wow!!!! The thing sticks to the road like glue!!! Most drivers would never even come close to pushing this car past its limits.... just incredible

Long day... just got home. I’ll have more later

I would suggest to everyone to check out this car... and try and push it as hard as you can. It won’t flinch

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 04-25-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
Closed Thread