04-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #133
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
On "reduced" vs "early" lane assist setting, this could very well be the traditional German terminology "precision" (or just BMW cultural "precision"). That is, "reduced" may very well be intended to mean that the system doesn't attempt to correct until lane departure distance is significant. It then corrects somewhat aggressively to get you back on track — the magnitude of this correction is what is being noticed and is disconcerting.

In "early" mode, the system likely corrects quickly, resulting in a smaller magnitude of correction and, thus, less objectionable.

They should really have two controls: one for when the system kicks in (as it seems to be now) and one for rate of correction. It's the lack of the latter parameter that seems to be causing the objectionable system behavior.

By the way, I am getting some interesting info on the original low temperature steering issue and hope to post a few comments soon ...
      04-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #134
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I've got a little more info on the cold temperature steering issue at the core of this thread. In summary,

- G05 X5 (and many others) are 100% steering-by-wire, so no matter what assist features are turned off, there is always sensors, actuators, and software between the steering wheel and the road
- BMW misjudged the temperature-variable performance of the sensors throughout the steering system; specifically, the part of the system that compensated for temperature-variable steering feel was too aggressive
- corrective changes are software-only; the sensors are well characterized and known, hardware (sensors or actuators) will NOT need to be replaced as part of this correction
- corrective changes involve extensive testing as well as some element of safety and fuel economy recertification; hence the long time to release update
- the update is scheduled for late July 2019
EJELITE57.00
TSMC55126.50
      04-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #135
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Leave it to BMW for not having their story straight;

I received a call from my service advisor today saying they just got a new software update to correct the cold weather steering issues. My vehicle will apparently be ready by end of day tomorrow if all goes smoothly... Not holding my breath quite yet as this is contrary to the info LexxM3 just posted, and also contrary to the info my SA gave me a couple weeks ago saying late June for the update.

I'll update here as soon as I have my vehicle in possession - its been gone for 3 months, so I'm kind of excited!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      04-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #136
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post
I'll update here as soon as I have my vehicle in possession - its been gone for 3 months, so I'm kind of excited!
Three MONTHS? Geez. I bet you are excited!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #137
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

Just had mine updated with the fix, but won’t know for another 8 months if it works or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #138
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
Just had mine updated with the fix, but won’t know for another 8 months if it works or not.
What is the software version?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #139
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

I received a call from my service advisor today saying they just got a new software update to correct the cold weather steering issues. My vehicle will apparently be ready by end of day tomorrow if all goes smoothly... Not holding my breath quite yet as this is contrary to the info LexxM3 just posted, and also contrary to the info my SA gave me a couple weeks ago saying late June for the update.

How are you compensated for the time you had to wait
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #140
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Has anyone taken a video of this so that we have documentary evidence of the issue so BMW will not be able to refute it.

I don't receive my car for another three weeks and I hope this is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #141
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Happy that you're getting your car back. Not happy with BMW randomness — that obviously puts a damper on the "transparency love-in" I was feeling and undermines the credibility of the entire brand and the set of relationships. I've asked my sources on their thought on this.

Where in Canada are you located, EJELITE ?
      04-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #142
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:

hi
just need to know the loaner you had, was it also G05 2019? was it working well in regards to this issue? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:56 AM   #143
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

No compensation Stinkyxy - I don't believe anyone with this issue has gotten any sort of compensation. BMW wanted to downplay the problem as much as possible from my experience.

I'm in Calgary LexxM3 - If I actually get the vehicle back tomorrow, it will be perfect testing conditions as to whether its actually fixed or not since we're forecast for sub zero temps and 10-15cm of snow on Saturday

Loaner was an X3 FreddyBMW
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #144
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm in Calgary LexxM3 - If I actually get the vehicle back tomorrow, it will be perfect testing conditions as to whether its actually fixed or not since we're forecast for sub zero temps and 10-15cm of snow on Saturday
Just for the record, comments to me did indicate the information was for a steering stability issue that occurs below -15C, not just "cold". I had failed to mention that as it did not occur to me it might be an issue differentiator, but time will tell.

Any chance your software update is prototype?
      04-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #145
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Just for the record, comments to me did indicate the information was for a steering stability issue that occurs below -15C, not just "cold". I had failed to mention that as it did not occur to me it might be an issue differentiator, but time will tell.

I'll ask if the update is prototype if/when I hear from them today. The steering issue is noticeably worse the colder the temps, but my steering starts acting up right around 0C if its left outside for a few hours. My guess is the 'fix' should certainly encompass anything warmer than -15C if it corrects anything below that temperature.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #146
Augy56
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Same problem with two new X5s delivered to me and my wife over the last couple of weeks. I would describe our experience as overly aggressive "steering intervention" with the lane departure system. For example, if I drift close to a line on my left, the assist will activate, overcorrect (oversteer), kicking me toward the right side of my lane. In short time I reach the right line, the system activates again, and kicks me back to the left. My wife feels unsafe. She unchecked the steering intervention option in the lane departure menu. I spent $1,700 on this feature expecting a gentle nudge from the system back to the center of my lane relieving some of the fatigue of long drives. Instead we are experiencing dangerous feeling situations!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #147
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy56 View Post
Same problem with two new X5s delivered to me and my wife over the last couple of weeks. I would describe our experience as overly aggressive “active intervention” with the lane departure system. For example, if I drift close to a line on my left, the assist will activate, overcorrect (oversteer), kicking me toward the right side of my lane. In a split second I reach the right line, the system activates again, and kicks me back to the left. My wife feels unsafe. She unchecked the active intervention option in the lane departure menu. I spent $1,700 on this feature expecting a gentle nudge from the system back to the center of my lane relieving some of the fatigue of long drives. Instead we are experiencing a dangerous situations!
Sounds like you may be confusing the Steering Intervention for the lane keeping with the Driver Assistance Package. Are you sure you are engaging cruise with lane control and not just relying on the lane keeping? It should be very smooth and keep you centered quite well. If it doesn't there is a problem and you should take it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #148
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

I'll ask if the update is prototype if/when I hear from them today. The steering issue is noticeably worse the colder the temps, but my steering starts acting up right around 0C if its left outside for a few hours. My guess is the 'fix' should certainly encompass anything warmer than -15C if it corrects anything below that temperature.
There's no concept of "prototype firmware". I can't imagine BMW putting anything short of a production candidate firmware update in a production vehicle. To do otherwise would be foolish at best.

Clearly their validation failed to uncover this issue, which is indeed a significant one that increases the risk of driving the vehicle in the very conditions that we bought it for to begin with!
      04-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #149
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
Quote:

There's no concept of "prototype firmware". I can't imagine BMW putting anything short of a production candidate firmware update in a production vehicle. To do otherwise would be foolish at best.

Clearly their validation failed to uncover this issue, which is indeed a significant one that increases the risk of driving the vehicle in the very conditions that we bought it for to begin with!
I don't disagree. It may be a "production candidate" rather than "prototype", but neither would (or should ever be) treated as "production quality". Even if a "production candidate" ends up being released as "production" with zero changes, until the process reaches the "production quality" metrics, it is by definition not at production quality.

I am now getting "confirmation" that what is "suddenly" available now is a pre-production of the "late July 2019" update for this issue. In "quotes" because ... who the heck really knows except BMW corporate.

An initial indication of "late July"
release of this safety-critical update versus the now sudden current availability is disconcerting to say the least. It points to invalid info in the entire story as it doesn't make coherent sense per @gpitts comments.
      04-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #150
foodiewithacorgi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 40i; 18' X3m40i

I'm new to the site, not sure if I can post here, but does anyone use a dashcam in their G05? A BMW engineer took a look at my car last month and said all the problems were due to my dashcam...including the steering issues in this this thread.

Since delivery in Dec. 2018. My car spent over 50 days in the shop.
And the problems I had were: Transmission malfunction error message; Gear selector error messages; Steering twitch in cold temperature; Driver's assistance system reduced error message; Parking assistance system reduced error message; BC button/instrument cluster/headup display not working 100%.

I do not think all the those problems are related to a simple dashcam, that's plugged into a 12v outlet by the cupholders. Specially, it's the same dashcam I used in my 2018 X3m40i. The dash cam I use is Rexing V1P 3rd Gen.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #151
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Definitely not all related to the dash cam, many on your list of problems are known issues. You have a bad KAFAS camera which I assume they have replaced by now given it has been in the shop so long. If not, they should order one and replace it for you.

The BC button is an issue most/all of us have at times, just do reboot iDrive and that will go away.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 04-29-2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Change "none" to "known" ;)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #152
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodiewithacorgi View Post
I'm new to the site, not sure if I can post here, but does anyone use a dashcam in their G05? A BMW engineer took a look at my car last month and said all the problems were due to my dashcam...including the steering issues in this this thread.

Since delivery in Dec. 2018. My car spent over 50 days in the shop.
And the problems I had were: Transmission malfunction error message; Gear selector error messages; Steering twitch in cold temperature; Driver's assistance system reduced error message; Parking assistance system reduced error message; BC button/instrument cluster/headup display not working 100%.

I do not think all the those problems are related to a simple dashcam, that's plugged into a 12v outlet by the cupholders. Specially, it's the same dashcam I used in my 2018 X3m40i. The dash cam I use is Rexing V1P 3rd Gen.

Any thoughts?
This is crazy!! I would talk to BMW corporate and ask to start process for replacement if it's not fixed yet. If not, explore lemon law. If your dash cam were hardwired into the car, I think it would be a different story. If plugged into the 12V socket, there is no way BMW could argue that is the cause. That many errors is beyond ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #153
foodiewithacorgi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Definitely not all related to the dash cam, many on your list of problems are known issues. You have a bad KAFAS camera which I assume they have replaced by now given it has been in the shop so long. If not, they should order one and replace it for you.

The BC button is an issue most/all of us have at times, just do reboot iDrive and that will go away.
No, they have not replaced it yet. They've replaced the wiring for the gear selector and the gear selector itself. And after the engineer looked at my car earlier this month. He decided to replace the Board computer as well. Not sure why he wants to do that, after he said the problems were caused by my dashcam...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #154
foodiewithacorgi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
This is crazy!! I would talk to BMW corporate and ask to start process for replacement if it's not fixed yet. If not, explore lemon law. If your dash cam were hardwired into the car, I think it would be a different story. If plugged into the 12V socket, there is no way BMW could argue that is the cause. That many errors is beyond ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous. I like the brand and the car, but I'm not willing to put up with this many trips to the dealership so early on. I'm in talks with BMW corporate regarding a replacement/trade. But I got the feeling that they're stalling for another attempt on replacing the Board computer that the engineer ordered. I just dropped the car off this morning, the first thing my service adviser said was, "You were supposed to take the dashcam out." That's why I was wondering if anyone else got the same run around due to a mere dashcam.
Appreciate 0