BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #1541
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
Since upstatedoc is now in a relationship, and therefore out of this dating thread,
hey i'm not out of the woods yet, and yeah i have to be physically attracted to someone as well or it won't work
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      11-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #1542
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Quote:
Since upstatedoc is now in a relationship, and therefore out of this dating thread, I will interject as I need help.

Few will remember (I hope) about my marriage and BPD situation.

A few weeks back I moved back home and I'm trying to make the marriage work.

Why? Well, she missed me, I missed her. Life without her wasn't the same, I'd much rather travel and do stuff with her than alone.
I believe this is normal after any breakup, you miss doing stuff or going to the same places without that person.

However, that got me thinking: what's it going to be? Am I just going to go from girlfriend to girlfriend?
I can't think of anyone who wants me more, who I can talk about ANYTHING, who knows me well, and who likes doing all I like doing (I mean, it kind of gets exhausting to hear girls don't like doing sports, don't ski, get sick or ask you to slow down when you're driving)... she's even with me on politics...

I couldn't think of anyone I'd like to have kids with so they could be raised with her values as well as mine.

All signs point to the right direction, right?
I thought I was going through a mid-life crisis at 36...

But since I lost physical attraction to her, how do I make it work?
Any personal experience in "reigniting the flame" so to speak?

That seems to be the piece that's missing and makes me VERY doubtful about the short-term future...
You're just settling because you're comfortable. I've done the same even when I was not physically attracted anymore, and let me say, it's not fair to her and you. Try to rekindle with some romantic dates, but if it doesn't work, forget it. She doesn't want to be your roommate.
Neither do I, don't get me wrong. I was the one that made the move so we could both focus on our things. She never wanted me to move and is very scared of losing her comfort.

Is it more comfortable if we stay together? Yes. I won't have to hurt her.
I was looking forward for the thrill of being single again, but then realized "what if the grass isn't greener"...

Neither of us wants to be roommates, but can we be more than that again?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #1543
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I don't know but my guess is:

As usual, we got infatuated when started dating, lots of passion, heat (not like upstatedoc), made plans, moved in together, did lots of stuff together (move out, new houses, international trips, MBA together, Post grad together, etc)
Then we got married...
At a certain point things weren't so hot anymore, and I fully accept that is normal.
But I started to feel like I was the only one "starting things" so to speak.
So, maybe instinctively or counterproductively I started to "not" start things. As in: you should do something as well.

Well, lo and behold, we'd go months with just a closed lip kiss everyday...

It took me a couple of years to decide that wasn't going to work and left.

Apparently for her the passion is still there and she regrets not making any move. But I'm uncertain I'd be open for that now...

Do you guys have kids? They can be a drag on time (young ones anyway). I think you said you didn't, but just checking.

What is it that changed for you that you no longer feel physically attracted to her? Has her appearance changed, has yours? Is it because she never seemed to initiate?

Trying to figure out what changed here in your view. There was a book I read about love languages (and how each person is different, but broadly they fall into specific categories) and how its important to understand the other's love language (and they need to understand yours), so that each of you can reach out on their level.

If she's committed to making it work and making changes (and you doing the same where needed as well, because it is rarely only one-sided, though I believe that can happen, just in exceptional circumstances), this relationship could work.

But I think you need to really figure out what changed for you to lose that physical component - it is important.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      11-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #1544
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
hey i'm not out of the woods yet, and yeah i have to be physically attracted to someone as well or it won't work
Then you better grab her by the pussy already...
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
      11-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #1545
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:

As usual, we got infatuated when started dating, lots of passion, heat (not like upstatedoc), made plans, moved in together, did lots of stuff together (move out, new houses, international trips, MBA together, Post grad together, etc)
Then we got married...
At a certain point things weren't so hot anymore, and I fully accept that is normal.
So, maybe instinctively or counterproductively I started to "not" start things. As in: you should do something as well.

Apparently for her the passion is still there and she regrets not making any move. But I'm uncertain I'd be open for that now...

Do you guys have kids? They can be a drag on time (young ones anyway). I think you said you didn't, but just checking.

What is it that changed for you that you no longer feel physically attracted to her? Has her appearance changed, has yours? Is it because she never seemed to initiate?

Trying to figure out what changed here in your view. There was a book I read about love languages (and how each person is different, but broadly they fall into specific categories) and how its important to understand the other's love language (and they need to understand yours), so that each of you can reach out on their level.

If she's committed to making it work and making changes (and you doing the same where needed as well, because it is rarely only one-sided, though I believe that can happen, just in exceptional circumstances), this relationship could work.

But I think you need to really figure out what changed for you to lose that physical component - it is important.
Hey thanks...
I replied to never enough above while you were writing, but yes, no kids, and nothing changed physically or behaviourally, my guess is that the no initiation from her part drove me away.
Maybe she was raised that way. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #1546
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since upstatedoc is now in a relationship, and therefore out of this dating thread, I will interject as I need help.

Why? Well, she missed me, I missed her. Life without her wasn't the same, I'd much rather travel and do stuff with her than alone.
I believe this is normal after any breakup, you miss doing stuff or going to the same places without that person.

However, that got me thinking: what's it going to be? Am I just going to go from girlfriend to girlfriend?
I can't think of anyone who wants me more, who I can talk about ANYTHING, who knows me well, and who likes doing all I like doing (I mean, it kind of gets exhausting to hear girls don't like doing sports, don't ski, get sick or ask you to slow down when you're driving)... she's even with me on politics...

I couldn't think of anyone I'd like to have kids with so they could be raised with her values as well as mine.

That seems to be the piece that's missing and makes me VERY doubtful about the short-term future...
You're just settling because you're comfortable. I've done the same even when I was not physically attracted anymore, and let me say, it's not fair to her and you. Try to rekindle with some romantic dates, but if it doesn't work, forget it. She doesn't want to be your roommate.
Neither do I, don't get me wrong. I was the one that made the move so we could both focus on our things. She never wanted me to move and is very scared of losing her comfort.

I was looking forward for the thrill of being single again, but then realized "what if the grass isn't greener"...

I think there are two aspects involved. Do you love her personality and admire and respect her? Are you attracted to her brain?
And then, if you didn't know her, would you physically find her attractive? Maybe she has gained weight? Maybe you have? Maybe you can go workout together?
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #1547
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Then we got married...

That doesn't sound like you're not physically attracted to her, that sounds like the flame went out. The flame can be reignited, but you both have to put in the work.

I've been in the relationship where I was always initiating & I got tired of that bs so I stopped & then it became a roommate thing really. Then she cheated & left on a whim. Don't let that be you.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      11-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #1548
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You never know, it's a small, small world.

But in all likelihood, yes, very few of us will meet IRL. Feel like I'm getting back to my high school days of being a geek by saying that, but it is the most likely outcome.

What is nice is that in spite of the fact most of us are unlikely to meet, we still share a common interest that unites us, and that gets us passionate enough to help each other out regardless and provide advice. And it is those different viewpoints that we each bring to the table that helps each of us grow as we consider them and take the good from each, and ignore the bad (because, let's face it, we're all flawed).

I like these forums too, they've helped me consider things I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
Appreciate 5
Joekerr7926.00
King Rudi13152.00
________4157.00
nyalpine907380.00
      11-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #1549
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks...
I replied to never enough above while you were writing, but yes, no kids, and nothing changed physically or behaviourally, my guess is that the no initiation from her part drove me away.
Hmm, well, if that's her nature, it isn't going to be easy to change, and it'll be easy to slip back into what is comfortable later on.

And if that is key to you, then it won't be easy. Is she willing to commit to changing and initiating? Are you willing to respond? If you shut her down when she tries, it will never work, she'll get embarrassed or feel hurt, and won't continue.

Have you explained this clearly to her, that the lack of initiation on her part is extremely important to you? Has she committed to changing? Have you asked whether there is something you need to fix for her sake?
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
nyalpine907380.00
      11-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #1550
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think there are two aspects involved. Do you love her personality and admire and respect her? Are you attracted to her brain?
And then, if you didn't know her, would you physically find her attractive? Maybe she has gained weight? Maybe you have? Maybe you can go workout together?
I love her in the sense of I would do anything for her. As I love my friends.
I have lots of respect for her, and I do find her very intelligent.

You're touching on a very good point, as lately I found myself being a little short on her shortcomings, as in I have lost respect for her. When we split up she became "friends" of people she'd badmouth a lot. She still does (stuff like "oh darn I have to go meet my friends grrr I'd rather not, they're exhausting, they're stupid but I care for them") that lost my respect.

I don't think I'd find her physically attractive today, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed. Sometimes I think she's cute. She hasn't changed much, neither have I. We're both in relatively good shape.

There's something about me though, that I thought was common to most men, is that you may find someone very attractive (say in a picture), but when they open their mouths they become ugly... or the other way around. Personality is about 70% of a person's good looks for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #1551
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Quote:

Then we got married...

That doesn't sound like you're not physically attracted to her, that sounds like the flame went out. The flame can be reignited, but you both have to put in the work.

I've been in the relationship where I was always initiating & I got tired of that bs so I stopped & then it became a roommate thing really. Then she cheated & left on a whim. Don't let that be you.
It feels like I was the one that left on a whim... although, I brought that up many times... we let it become a roommate situation and then I left when I found someone else (that didn't work out).
I told her I always felt like a coward for not having the courage to take action, but needed to get out for both of our sakes.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey thanks...
Hmm, well, if that's her nature, it isn't going to be easy to change, and it'll be easy to slip back into what is comfortable later on.

And if that is key to you, then it won't be easy. Is she willing to commit to changing and initiating? Are you willing to respond? If you shut her down when she tries, it will never work, she'll get embarrassed or feel hurt, and won't continue.

Have you explained this clearly to her, that the lack of initiation on her part is extremely important to you? Has she committed to changing? Have you asked whether there is something you need to fix for her sake?
Yes we have had many many conversations about it.

She says she regrets not taking initiative, and would like to show me how she can.

Sometimes she kisses me but her tongue feels cold, you know? Don't know how to say it... I care for her a lot.

I wish I believed in hypnosis. Maybe someone could say "you feel hot for her" and all would be gone.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #1552
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
I love her in the sense of I would do anything for her. As I love my friends.
I have lots of respect for her, and I do find her very intelligent.

You're touching on a very good point, as lately I found myself being a little short on her shortcomings, as in I have lost respect for her. When we split up she became "friends" of people she'd badmouth a lot. She still does (stuff like "oh darn I have to go meet my friends grrr I'd rather not, they're exhausting, they're stupid but I care for them") that lost my respect.

I don't think I'd find her physically attractive today, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed. Sometimes I think she's cute. She hasn't changed much, neither have I. We're both in relatively good shape.

There's something about me though, that I thought was common to most men, is that you may find someone very attractive (say in a picture), but when they open their mouths they become ugly... or the other way around. Personality is about 70% of a person's good looks for me.
sounds like communication problem, you need to be straight up with her. let her know how you feel, and ask her whats going on.

or You just got bored of her but still care/love her.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      11-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #1553
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Then you better grab her by the pussy already...
oh that reminds me i have to vote today
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
      11-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #1554
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
holding back of expressing yourself of your emotions is never good.
keeping marriage sprung is the key, if it becomes a routine job it gets boring and ... gets uglier
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #1555
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
grrrr her jeans dyed my seats
im pissed
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #1556
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische Motoren Werke View Post
im pissed
It is just a VW....

Appreciate 1
      11-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #1557
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
im pissed
Stop making the pussy wet then you savage.
Appreciate 4
      11-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #1558
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
It is just a VW....

it's a lincoln
regardless of what it is, my cars are painfully clean within a college budget, i get hella compliments. the previous owner also took good care of it, sitting inside you wouldn't be able to tell its a 8 year old car with 4 owners at 97k

Quote:
Stop making the pussy wet then you savage.
i dont know what makes that happen! i truly don't know how i manage to attract some girls, but given my track record with "crazy" (not the estrogen induced one, actual crazy) i guess i really should figure it out
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7926.00
King Rudi13152.00
      11-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #1559
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
it's a lincoln
regardless of what it is, my cars are painfully clean within a college budget, i get hella compliments. the previous owner also took good care of it, sitting inside you wouldn't be able to tell its a 8 year old car with 4 owners at 97k

i dont know what makes that happen! i truly don't know how i manage to attract some girls, but given my track record with "crazy" (not the estrogen induced one, actual crazy) i guess i really should figure it out
My bad. My definite bad. I saw MK...and then I just automatically went VW in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #1560
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it's a lincoln

Maybe you be crazy too yo

I'm not right in the head. Guess it goes back to Jody's artist thing since I am one too.
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #1561
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My bad. My definite bad. I saw MK...and then I just automatically went VW in my mind.
Get out. No Hellcat for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #1562
________
________
Rep

What in the world are you guys talking about lol
Appreciate 0