BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #67
RidgeHauler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M60i

Thanks for posting this info. Used instructions to wire a 2024 X5 and worked perfectly. About five minute timeout after locking for power off to cycle.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 06:14 PM   #68
gujuman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
I completed the mirror tap install on my 2024 X5, was same setup as my 2020. I attached some photos but again same process as before so can refer back to earlier posts if needed.
Can you kindly post any pictures or video on how to pop the housing/clips off and what power cord you used to tap the power please? Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #69
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post
Can you kindly post any pictures or video on how to pop the housing/clips off and what power cord you used to tap the power please? Thank you so much.
Hello, unfortunately I don’t have any photos or videos removing the plastic covers. But, earlier in this thread, I posted diagrams which included instructions in how to remove them. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25759267

I can say you should have a pry tool or two to aid you. Also ideally should be kinda warm out so that the plastic is somewhat malleable.

I have posted photos of which wires that I tapped, which I did on the front side, side closer to the wind shield.

Good luck!

It’s really not bad I’ve done it twice now, and I removed it on my 2020 before selling.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 03:48 PM   #70
RidgeHauler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M60i

I just added the the Mirror Tap to my new 2024 X5. I used the earlier posts as a guide. They were a big help. Like stated above, just a very small flat blade or plastic interior tool to pry apart the center of the lower section. Then work your way up. Once removed, you will want to use the smallest two blades on the Mirror Tap to press into the connector. Once connected and cabled tied securely it works well.

One strong recommendation. "Before" pushing the smallest blades into the connector, take a moment to tap or cover the other two remaining unused blades with shrink wrap. If not, they "will" touch together and short, blowing the fuse. Ask me know I know this........

If that happens to you, the fuse is in the passenger side footwell on the kick panel....

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #71
KSpider
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Completed this install only 2024 X5 today - my only 2 cents: seperating the two side plastic covers takes a lot more force Than I was comfortable with at first. After reading a couple other comments about it I decided F it, and just pulled super hard and then they shot apart, nothing broken.

Super happy with the mirror tap, ive been hard wiring My V1 through passenger fuse box in my last 5 cars, im enjoying not having to run the cord around the windshield trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 08:21 PM   #72
gujuman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpider View Post
Completed this install only 2024 X5 today - my only 2 cents: seperating the two side plastic covers takes a lot more force Than I was comfortable with at first. After reading a couple other comments about it I decided F it, and just pulled super hard and then they shot apart, nothing broken.

Super happy with the mirror tap, ive been hard wiring My V1 through passenger fuse box in my last 5 cars, im enjoying not having to run the cord around the windshield trim.
Awesome... any chance you took some step by step pics? Or anybody have this please?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #73
KSpider
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gujuman View Post
Awesome... any chance you took some step by step pics? Or anybody have this please?
I did not... I used an old credit card in the very middle of the middle/top piece to separate it from the top/roof trim, once I could get a finger in I just pulled down to release two tabs, and then you pull out, away from the window... once that piece is off... I used my finger to push out the tab closest to me on each of the side plastic pieces (you can see them) and then after a lot of cursing, I pulled the side pieces apart from each other with 5x more force than I was comfortable with, and they flew apart.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 03:05 PM   #74
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Thanks for the detailed pictures of the backside of the mirror. It was the exact same on my 2019 X5. I didn't even know that extra plug was back there. SO much easier to tap there than on the front side (if you're sitting in the car and facing the mirror). Took me barely 10 minutes to get the whole job done. Way easier than the problematic rain sensor plug on my F80.

For the trim pieces, it's really helpful to have a plastic trim removal set, but a credit card can absolutely do the trick. Just stick it in the middle seam and pry apart. The pieces will go flying, but I've never broken a tab doing it that way.
Appreciate 0