BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-22-2020, 05:10 AM   #1
BryanC84
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F15 X5 30d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cheshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Another 45e Order

Placed my order for a new 45e at the weekend after much deliberaton of PHEV vs EV.
I currently have an F15 30d M Sport.

Spec is..

x5 45e M Sport
Alpine White
Black Vernasca Upholstery
Aluminium Tetragon trim

[Heat Comfort Pack]
Heated door arm rests
Heated centre console arm rest
Heated steering wheel

[Visibility Package]
Laserlights
High Beam Assistant

[Tech Pack]
Harmon Kardon Sound
Display Key
Heads Up Display
Drive Recorder
Parking Assistant Plus

[M Sport Plus Pack]
21" 741 M Alloys with run flats
M Seat Belts
Dynamic Safety
Sun Protection Glass
Highgloss Shadowline Exterior (black grill, exhausts etc)




Free BP Chargemaster Install at home.

Delivery is currently estimated at end of June!

Contemplated changing the trim to Piano Black.. but I have 2 young kids and dont want easily visible scratches!
Also, did a lot of reading on Mineral White vs Alpine White. Fixing scratches etc isnt as easy with Mineral White, so opted for Alpine.

Originally opted NOT to have the laserlights.. but the blue accent in them along with the different DRL persuaded me. Looks so good!!

I wanted Soft Close doors and being a career geek, the Comfort Access.. but couldnt justify the cost of the Comfort package for those 2 items when in reality, I wouldnt use the rest really.

Few questions that i'm hoping here, you knowledgable folk may answer, that BMW Genius' were not able to..

1 - When using purely electric.. does the regen braking/kinetic transfer get put back into the battery or is it wasted? I dont expect it to recharge, but if it reduces consumption of the charge, i'm happy.

2 - When idle on Electric, is there much consumption? On taking one of our children to school each day, I have to sit and wait for about 30 mins. Currently I leave the engine running with the radio on, air con generally at 19/20.

3 - Charging. When fully charged, does it just simply stop charging? What I dont want is to have a full charge at say 4am.. and for it to keep somehow utilising energy until I unplug it at 6.30ish.

More so UK folks-

4 - Does anyone have any experience with the chargemasters? Pros/Cons?
5 - Does anyone make use of charging bays and have a subscription to a charging service? There are plenty of charging providers out there.. but is there a 'main' provider? Etc.

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone who has posted in topics/threads previously.. this forum has been a massive help with my research :-)
Attached Images
   

Last edited by BryanC84; 01-22-2020 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
W0ut
Private First Class
Belgium
85
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
Few questions that i'm hoping here, you knowledgable folk may answer, that BMW Genius' were not able to..

1 - When using purely electric.. does the regen braking/kinetic transfer get put back into the battery or is it wasted? I dont expect it to recharge, but if it reduces consumption of the charge, i'm happy.

2 - When idle on Electric, is there much consumption? On taking one of our children to school each day, I have to sit and wait for about 30 mins. Currently I leave the engine running with the radio on, air con generally at 19/20.

3 - Charging. When fully charged, does it just simply stop charging? What I dont want is to have a full charge at say 4am.. and for it to keep somehow utilising energy until I unplug it at 6.30ish.

More so UK folks-

4 - Does anyone have any experience with the chargemasters? Pros/Cons?
5 - Does anyone make use of charging bays and have a subscription to a charging service? There are plenty of charging providers out there.. but is there a 'main' provider? Etc.

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone who has posted in topics/threads previously.. this forum has been a massive help with my research :-)
Congratulations on your new car.

1 - yes regen is always on in every mode. Not only during braking, also when releasing the throttle or when going downhill.

2- Not tested it when sitting in car for 30min. Put preheating the car does have an impact on your electrical range.

3- Yes it just stops. No problem at home. I plug mine in in the evening and unplug it in the morning. However be careful with public chargers. Some public charging companies also let you pay for the amount of time you 'occupy' the charging spot. Even if your car has stopped charging you will still be billed for every minute your car is 'parked'.


Not UK
4 - Don't spend money on special features. Just a charger and a kW meter is all you need. All those extra apps, website, services you will rarely use them.
Mennekes is a very popular and solid brand of charging equipement.

5 - Do you really need this with a hybrid car? If you run out of battery you just continue on petrol. + The X5 45e charges very slowly. I never bother to charge it on stops less than 3 hours.

The situation is the same here in Belgium. Plenty of providers and none of them really sticks out.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
BryanC84
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F15 X5 30d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cheshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

W0ut, thank you for your insight! It is very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
X5 45e
First Lieutenant
124
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: BMW X5 45e
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
Placed my order for a new 45e at the weekend after much deliberaton of PHEV vs EV.
I currently have an F15 30d M Sport.

Spec is..

x5 45e M Sport
Alpine White
Black Vernasca Upholstery
Aluminium Tetragon trim

[Heat Comfort Pack]
Heated door arm rests
Heated centre console arm rest
Heated steering wheel

[Visibility Package]
Laserlights
High Beam Assistant

[Tech Pack]
Harmon Kardon Sound
Display Key
Heads Up Display
Drive Recorder
Parking Assistant Plus

[M Sport Plus Pack]
21" 741 M Alloys with run flats
M Seat Belts
Dynamic Safety
Sun Protection Glass
Highgloss Shadowline Exterior (black grill, exhausts etc)




Free BP Chargemaster Install at home.

Delivery is currently estimated at end of June!

Contemplated changing the trim to Piano Black.. but I have 2 young kids and dont want easily visible scratches!
Also, did a lot of reading on Mineral White vs Alpine White. Fixing scratches etc isnt as easy with Mineral White, so opted for Alpine.

Originally opted NOT to have the laserlights.. but the blue accent in them along with the different DRL persuaded me. Looks so good!!

I wanted Soft Close doors and being a career geek, the Comfort Access.. but couldnt justify the cost of the Comfort package for those 2 items when in reality, I wouldnt use the rest really.

Few questions that i'm hoping here, you knowledgable folk may answer, that BMW Genius' were not able to..

1 - When using purely electric.. does the regen braking/kinetic transfer get put back into the battery or is it wasted? I dont expect it to recharge, but if it reduces consumption of the charge, i'm happy.

2 - When idle on Electric, is there much consumption? On taking one of our children to school each day, I have to sit and wait for about 30 mins. Currently I leave the engine running with the radio on, air con generally at 19/20.

3 - Charging. When fully charged, does it just simply stop charging? What I dont want is to have a full charge at say 4am.. and for it to keep somehow utilising energy until I unplug it at 6.30ish.

More so UK folks-

4 - Does anyone have any experience with the chargemasters? Pros/Cons?
5 - Does anyone make use of charging bays and have a subscription to a charging service? There are plenty of charging providers out there.. but is there a 'main' provider? Etc.

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone who has posted in topics/threads previously.. this forum has been a massive help with my research :-)
Some additional info.

I do use public charging because they are often free and in the best spots. So often If I don't find a parking spot I still can find a place with a charging point. I have new motion card. (now Shell charge). But to charge your battery when you park less than 3-4 hours isn't going to do much. You can often use one card with different providers like roaming with your telephone. But you have to so who works with who.

I don't really like the tetragon. To busy for me but tastes may differ off course. One thought a scratch of tetragon will really show. I had piano black when my kids where 6 and 7 and it scratches indeed but not to a point it really bothered me to much. I have fine line stripe now and happy with it.

Good choise with the lasers (see some other threads)

I have softclose but the doorse are quite heavy and they kind of softclose by them selves anyway. Comfort acces on the other hand is really nice to have.

Driving assistant plus is nice to have and the DAB tuner too.

For 3. You can program your car to be fully charged and pre heated on departure time. And you can also program that it only uses night hours to charge if electricity is cheaper during night hours. So it would just start charging at 22h00 for example even if you plug in at 17h
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
W0ut
Private First Class
Belgium
85
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanC84 View Post
W0ut, thank you for your insight! It is very much appreciated!
Just tested number 2. Was a bit early and had to wait 10 minutes.

Sat in car for 8 minutes. In electrical mode with combustion engine off.
Headlights on, heated seats on, playing with Apple Carplay, cabin temperature was set at 22 C, outside temperature 3C. I just did a 15min trip so the engine was still warm.

The electrical range went from 17km to 16km in that time. Not bad I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #6
BryanC84
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F15 X5 30d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cheshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Thank you again W0ut!
We're being given a 45e to play with today, from BMW.. so will be seeing what it performs like too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #7
dyzfnctional
Private
20
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2017 540i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

is the 45e available in the US? I dont see it... anyone knows when?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #8
GBR1
Lieutenant
203
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: G05 45e on order
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Hi Bryanc84,

very similar situation to you, I am in the UK with a 45e on order and been asking many of the same questions.

The G20 UK forum is a good place for some info as most seem to have the 330e, lots of points on charging (uk specific) etc..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 03:53 AM   #9
BryanC84
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F15 X5 30d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Cheshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks GBR1!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #10
jonjo001
Enlisted Member
33
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

1 - When using purely electric.. does the regen braking/kinetic transfer get put back into the battery or is it wasted? I dont expect it to recharge, but if it reduces consumption of the charge, i'm happy.

I've mentioned in other forums, but the regen works really well I find. As an example, I drove from Aylesbury to Bristol last week (110 miles) started with 44 mile of electric range and ended up doing 60 miles of the journey on electric with an empty battery at the end. I read elsewhere that when you start to use the brake pedal gently, it doesn't engage the brakes, just ups the level of regen, only using the brakes if you start to press harder.

3 - Charging. When fully charged, does it just simply stop charging? What I dont want is to have a full charge at say 4am.. and for it to keep somehow utilising energy until I unplug it at 6.30ish.

Use the departure settings in either the car or the app. If you set the departure time to be 0630, then not only will the car make sure the flow of energy into the battery is managed so that you are full at that time (it won't just go until 0400 in your example), but it will also make sure the batteries and the cabin are warmed enough, so that all that battery goodness goes into forward motion when you leave.

More so UK folks-


5 - Does anyone make use of charging bays and have a subscription to a charging service? There are plenty of charging providers out there.. but is there a 'main' provider? Etc.

I do have a PolarPlus subscription and that is linked across to GeniePoint, Revive and ChargeMaster. However, I also have an i3s, so that is what they are most used for. The charging speed on the X5 is so slow, that it is only really useful for charging at home or at work.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
SuprSi
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

I'm curious as to how you got the free BP Chargemaster installation? Was that a BMW thing or something else?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
jimbg
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: LR Discovery 5
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: DEVON

iTrader: (0)

See here:- https://discover.bmw.co.uk/offers/2020-q1-phev
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
SuprSi
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Ah, thank you - I'll be leasing the car through the company so that won't be an option for me.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST