Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
It is also a safety feature. Bmw doesn't advertise with this but Volvo does. I think it is the same type laminated glass. It is more difficult to break in and should also be safer in an accident.

I have it on my 45e and it is really quite. In town I always drive electric so I should hear more environmental noise but I don't. So probably it works.
For Florida residents harder breaking glass is not a positive. Most drivers there carry a tool to break glass if vehicle ends up in water which happens frequently.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
      01-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #24
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
It is also a safety feature. Bmw doesn't advertise with this but Volvo does. I think it is the same type laminated glass. It is more difficult to break in and should also be safer in an accident.

I have it on my 45e and it is really quite. In town I always drive electric so I should hear more environmental noise but I don't. So probably it works.
For Florida residents harder breaking glass is not a positive. Most drivers there carry a tool to break glass if vehicle ends up in water which happens frequently.
That I didn't think about. And combining that with slow lowering of the windows (see other post) might not be so safe after all.

But then again you are safer for carjacking
Appreciate 3
RVAGuy167.00
mcsa65.00
      01-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I can't speak for the acoustic, but can confirm, as others have said, even without it, this car already is quieter inside. It's been 3 years since our F15, so can't say by how much, but definitely quieter and much quieter than the Volvo XC90 we had in between.

FWIW, I actually thought I had the acoustic glass at first, it is so quiet. That said, sounds like a reasonable and worthwhile upgrade for $650. Like anything else, try test driving back to back if you can.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #26
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAGuy View Post
It's kind of amazing that they don't add a safety feature the opens all the windows and sunroof if the car detects its submerged.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2020, 03:23 AM   #27
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
It's kind of amazing that they don't add a safety feature the opens all the windows and sunroof if the car detects its submerged.
Maybe it's because the car stays afloat for a while if the windows are closed, and also it's easier to breath and figure out what to do next with some air inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #28
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Quote:
Maybe it's because the car stays afloat for a while if the windows are closed, and also it's easier to breath and figure out what to do next with some air inside.
The car will still float with the widows open. At least long enough for you to figure you have to GTFO. Once the water reaches the bottom of the window the fluid pressure against the door would be too much for the average person to overcome. You're essentially trapped by that point.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #29
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
The car will still float with the widows open. At least long enough for you to figure you have to GTFO. Once the water reaches the bottom of the window the fluid pressure against the door would be too much for the average person to overcome. You're essentially trapped by that point.
I don't think it will float for very many seconds with windows open, but you're right, being trapped is a big problem.

My point was that because automatically opening windows would sometimes help but sometimes cause more casualties, whatever the percentages, as a car manufacturer you would probably want to leave the feature out so that you won't be liable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #30
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

I have it and I like it, would go for it again
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #31
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
I have it and I like it, would go for it again
Acoustic glass is difficult decision as you can't see or touch it and comparing with and without is challenging. My decision to get was based on believe 1. a car can't be too quiet and 2. anything that lets me listen to music too loud has to be a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #32
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I wonder ... if you get the acoustic glass, do they quieten the engine noise that comes through the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #33
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

I was told by the BMW genius today that the acoustic glass option reduces cabin noise by 4-5 decibels. But, this small reduction is supposedly noticable.

I didn't take it, it was 600 Eur (400 eur diplomatic/military sales) in Vienna, Austria.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:58 AM   #34
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90, G05 M50i, 991.1 TTS

my .02 cents:
(i have acoustic glass on my G05)

Compared to my wife's Tesla (that has 0 engine noise) the difference is not very noticeable -> I am rarely driving without some sort of in-cabin noise...be it kids yapping, music, talking to yourself, whatever.

Compared to the faint memory of the E71 we had in 2011, there is only a slight difference inside the cabin - I do remember that cabin was surprisingly quiet.

Its a nifty option but even when I'm in the car by myself and I shut off the radio, I still hear outside road noise (in addition to the engine noise).

The sound deadening the acoustic glass option provides is minimal. To my ears.
IMO; glass controls > acoustic glass if someone is trying to choose between the two...
Appreciate 0