BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Most comprehensive scan/reset/code tool

I would like to do the following, which tool will accomplish these without needing a PC? If these cannot all be done with the same tool, then which ones are needed.

1. Scan for all error codes including airbag error codes
2. Reset all error codes including airbag error codes
3. Code features on/off
4. Somewhat future proof in that the mfg will offer updates as time goes on
5. Can register a new battery
6. Works on all OBDII BMW's and most other cars
7. Will scan for BMW specific error codes, not just generic P codes

Last edited by Marty in NY; 01-21-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So I see that the bluetooth OBD2 readers can support a number of different apps. I know that many here use Bimmercode for their app but what OBD2 reader (hardware) do you use? I have found several, each with their own pros/cons.
Some only read the more generic P codes but I would like one that reads the BMW OEM specific codes as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
So I see that the bluetooth OBD2 readers can support a number of different apps. I know that many here use Bimmercode for their app but what OBD2 reader (hardware) do you use? I have found several, each with their own pros/cons.
Some only read the more generic P codes but I would like one that reads the BMW OEM specific codes as well.
Lots of us are pretty happy with ODBlink MX+. I haven't yet found an iOS app it doesn't work with, so it might be good start.
      01-22-2020, 02:19 AM   #4
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I’m using a lightning <> ethernet cable (F) <> ethernet (M) <> OBD connector cable. Both dirt cheap on aliexpress and working fine with apps like Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Lots of us are pretty happy with ODBlink MX+. I haven't yet found an iOS app it doesn't work with, so it might be good start.
I wrote OBDLink about their ability to read/reset OEM specific codes and not just the generic P codes....this is how it went.

I asked: Why don't you offer enhanced OEM specific DTC reading/reset for BMW?

They replied: Thank you for reaching out! This is a bit complicated to answer, unfortunately. The goal is to add OEM specific data for all makes in the near future! Your request will be forwarded to the app developer

On the other hand, BlueDriver claims to be able to read OEM specific codes. The issue with BlueDriver is you have to use their app. I'd rather be free to choose from a few diff apps while using the same hardware.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wrote OBDLink about their ability to read/reset OEM specific codes and not just the generic P codes....this is how it went.

I asked: Why don't you offer enhanced OEM specific DTC reading/reset for BMW?

They replied: Thank you for reaching out! This is a bit complicated to answer, unfortunately. The goal is to add OEM specific data for all makes in the near future! Your request will be forwarded to the app developer

On the other hand, BlueDriver claims to be able to read OEM specific codes. The issue with BlueDriver is you have to use their app. I'd rather be free to choose from a few diff apps while using the same hardware.
Are you sure they are answering you regarding their hardware or regarding their app? I think they are answering about their app, which is not what we're discussing. Their hardware works with lots of apps.

If you point me to something very specific that you want to make sure you can read as a test, I can see if I can try a few apps and see if I can get at it with their hardware.
      01-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure they are answering you regarding their hardware or regarding their app? I think they are answering about their app, which is not what we're discussing. Their hardware works with lots of apps.

If you point me to something very specific that you want to make sure you can read as a test, I can see if I can try a few apps and see if I can get at it with their hardware.
Good point, I will get back in touch with them to verify. We just drove from NY to Florida and shortly after getting here, my X3 threw a few error codes.. ABS Chassis Stabilization...Brake light (just says the word Brake)...DSC...airbag ...and ABS. I have a nice christmas tree dash right now. The car is trying to protect itself by reducing power steering and throttle response.

I was getting new rotors and pads anyway so had the shop read the codes and it pointed to a rear wheel speed sensor. I replaced it and instantly regained my steering and throttle but still have a christmas tree dash. Ok, will a certain mileage extinguish the lights or do I need to reset them? So, while continuing to drive the car in an attempt to find out if they will extinguish by themselves, I started searching for a scan tool that will do the things I outlined in my earlier post. If they don't auto extinguish, I won't know if I still have a fault or if they just need reset via a tool.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Good point, I will get back in touch with them to verify. We just drove from NY to Florida and shortly after getting here, my X3 threw a few error codes.. ABS Chassis Stabilization...Brake light (just says the word Brake)...DSC...airbag ...and ABS. I have a nice christmas tree dash right now. The car is trying to protect itself by reducing power steering and throttle response.

I was getting new rotors and pads anyway so had the shop read the codes and it pointed to a rear wheel speed sensor. I replaced it and instantly regained my steering and throttle but still have a christmas tree dash. Ok, will a certain mileage extinguish the lights or do I need to reset them? So, while continuing to drive the car in an attempt to find out if they will extinguish by themselves, I started searching for a scan tool that will do the things I outlined in my earlier post. If they don't auto extinguish, I won't know if I still have a fault or if they just need reset via a tool.
Ok. So for example, I have paid Bimmerlink and I saw that it can show and clear lots of crazy stuff. I can try to capture a few screen shots on the G05 with ODBLink MX+ — perhaps that will give you few more hints.
      01-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok. So for example, I have paid Bimmerlink and I saw that it can show and clear lots of crazy stuff. I can try to capture a few screen shots on the G05 with ODBLink MX+ — perhaps that will give you few more hints.
So then, BimmerLink is for scanning and clearing fault codes, including BMW specific codes, correct?...and BimmerCode is purely for coding features, correct? Are they mutually exclusive so you need both? I see they are both from the same app developer.

Both apps work with the OBDLink MX+ hardware plug, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
So then, BimmerLink is for scanning and clearing fault codes, including BMW specific codes, correct?...and BimmerCode is purely for coding features, correct? Are they mutually exclusive so you need both? I see they are both from the same app developer.

Both apps work with the OBDLink MX+ hardware plug, correct?
Basically correct on all points, but I haven't spent an exhaustive amount of time with Bimmerlink with respect to error/message codes, so my assertions on that are shallow.

I did just generate a Bimmerlink report for "transient errors" and it is 8 pages of pretty scary sounding stuff like "440211: COUPLING FUNCTION: DEACTIVATION EMERGENCY OPERATION DUE TO MISSING FLEXRAY SIGNALS" and "480AE5: INTERFACE QDM - YAW RATE VEHICLE SIGNAL IMPLAUSIBLE".
      01-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
rparnel1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Carly will do all that, but they want you to pay a subscription fee every year. its is also kinda buggy. They do keep updating it though. I'm letting mine expire after the year is up. Have bimmercode for coding and a foxwell 510 for monitoring
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Basically correct on all points, but I haven't spent an exhaustive amount of time with Bimmerlink with respect to error/message codes, so my assertions on that are shallow.

I did just generate a Bimmerlink report for "transient errors" and it is 8 pages of pretty scary sounding stuff like "440211: COUPLING FUNCTION: DEACTIVATION EMERGENCY OPERATION DUE TO MISSING FLEXRAY SIGNALS" and "480AE5: INTERFACE QDM - YAW RATE VEHICLE SIGNAL IMPLAUSIBLE".
Thanks, sounds good. For the info in your report, I'm pretty sure that has to do with the Flux Capacitor leaking flux onto the Flex raygun anode pins, very common issue

Ok, back to reality, today's cars high tech systems are so interrelated that several functions rely on some of the same sensors so when one sensor bites the dust, its common to see multiple errors leading you to think you have several different failures when you really only have one. I think in my case, my next step is to rescan now that I have replaced the wheel speed sensor, clear all codes and then go from there.

Thanks for the info, time now to order the OBD2 scanner and app.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      01-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparnel1 View Post
Carly will do all that, but they want you to pay a subscription fee every year. its is also kinda buggy. They do keep updating it though. I'm letting mine expire after the year is up. Have bimmercode for coding and a foxwell 510 for monitoring
I have also looked at the Foxwell scanners but also want the ability to code and something small I can carry in my glovebox. Tell me, with the Foxwell, as I understand it, you get one cars worth of data with it and then have to buy the other cars data if you want to use it on a diff car - true?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

The Foxwell comes with software for one manufacturer. I bought mine with BMW, and then paid to add VW/Audi to it. It can hold up to five at one time. It is not VIN specific, so you could use it on any BMW once the software is loaded.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      01-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
The Foxwell comes with software for one manufacturer. I bought mine with BMW, and then paid to add VW/Audi to it. It can hold up to five at one time. It is not VIN specific, so you could use it on any BMW once the software is loaded.
Ok, so its not one model only, its one manufacturer? So if I buy it for BMW it will cover all BMW's to date? Does that include free updates for BMW's year by year? What does it cost to add another mfg, say VW?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Each additional mfr package is about $60. There are updates, but I've read that there may still be compatibility issues with newer models. It could be that there are hardware reasons that can't be resolved by a software update. I'd recommend getting the latest model scanner they make and check the vehicle application listings.

The Foxwell units, and probably most other retail level tools, are made in China, so don't expect strong user support via phone. It was (and still is) a long learning curve for me, but I managed to use it today to operate the electric parking brake on my VW to change pads.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

LexxM3,
I ordered and received my OBD2 plug and the Bimmerlink app. I have diagnosed the issue and am awaiting receipt of parts as I write this. I was about to order the ODBLink MX+ when I was watching a Youtube video on Bimmerlink where the guy used the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ plug and had a discount in the link so I bought it figuring if I didn't like it, I could always get the ODBLink MX+.

So far so good, thanks for your replies!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50