BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 & X5

iDrive 7 vs 6

My wife just received her 2020 X5 with iDrive 7. It’s fantastic. My 2019 M5 with iDrive 6 arrives at the end of this week. I’m getting very comfortable with 7 and am concerned 6 will be a major step down. Anyone here have both and notice significant differences that would be concerning? I love being able to create settings for each individual key and profile through Connected Drive. Especially the locking and unlocking approaching and walking away. So many incredible car setting features. I hope these are available on iDrive 6.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeynowbababooeyAckAck View Post
My wife just received her 2020 X5 with iDrive 7. It's fantastic. My 2019 M5 with iDrive 6 arrives at the end of this week. I'm getting very comfortable with 7 and am concerned 6 will be a major step down. Anyone here have both and notice significant differences that would be concerning? I love being able to create settings for each individual key and profile through Connected Drive. Especially the locking and unlocking approaching and walking away. So many incredible car setting features. I hope these are available on iDrive 6.
I went from a 2019 M5 to a 2020 and the IDrive change comes along for the ride. Let me put it like this, I wouldn't get another new bimmer if it didn't have IDrive 7 (or later).

My 2020 M5 Comp doesn't have proximity unlock/lock—probably a USA thing... oh wait, you're in the US, right? Well, if it isn't on my 2020 and it definitely wasn't on my 2019, then I doubt it's on yours.

Profiles are there on both.

Voice control on 7 is leaps and bounds ahead. Gesture control is improved, too.

That said, it's an M5–you'll get over it. Just don't drive the X5 repeatedly.

You can also bask in the glory of a unicorn lease deal—I suspect you'll live.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I went from a 2019 M5 to a 2020 and the IDrive change comes along for the ride. Let me put it like this, I wouldn't get another new bimmer if it didn't have IDrive 7 (or later).

My 2020 M5 Comp doesn't have proximity unlock/lock—probably a USA thing... oh wait, you're in the US, right? Well, if it isn't on my 2020 and it definitely wasn't on my 2019, then I doubt it's on yours.

Have proximity lock/unlock on the M8, so it must be model specific or a software version...

Can't wait to have BMW update their software to use the iPhone as a digital key.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Quote:

Have proximity lock/unlock on the M8, so it must be model specific or a software version...

Can't wait to have BMW update their software to use the iPhone as a digital key.
Do you have reverse assistant?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

iDrive 7.0 is definitely more advanced than 6.0 and offers more features, however I find that 6.0 is just a lot easier to use and has a better layout with less clutter. 7 definitely has more sub menu's than 6 (although both still have more than necessary in general) but finding settings is easier in 6.

Truthfully though, it doesn't make much a difference to me, once I set up all of my settings, I tend to just leave things the way they are, and then use CarPlay for Spotify and Google Maps, since I don't use the radio or BMW Nav or Phone interface. I rarely interact with iDrive on a daily basis. Same thing with my Merc, set it and forget it. Only time I go into the command system is to change the ambient lighting or drive mode settings.
      01-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
HeynowbababooeyAckAck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
iDrive 7.0 is definitely more advanced than 6.0 and offers more features, however I find that 6.0 is just a lot easier to use and has a better layout with less clutter. 7 definitely has more sub menu's than 6 (although both still have more than necessary in general) but finding settings is easier in 6.

Truthfully though, it doesn't make much a difference to me, once I set up all of my settings, I tend to just leave things the way they are, and then use CarPlay for Spotify and Google Maps, since I don't use the radio or BMW Nav or Phone interface. I rarely interact with iDrive on a daily basis. Same thing with my Merc, set it and forget it. Only time I go into the command system is to change the ambient lighting or drive mode settings.
Thanks Josh. This is exactly what I was thinking as well. Just set it up the first time and barely use it going forward. Just drive the car and enjoy!
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00
      01-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. Very cool feature.
Our car is a September 19 build in case it’s not just software...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. Very cool feature.
Our car is a September 19 build in case it’s not just software...
Great. I was hoping that would land Stateside.

It's a shame that anti-dazzle remains a victim of prehistoric vehicle lighting limitations.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It's a shame that anti-dazzle remains a victim of prehistoric vehicle lighting limitations.
Am waiting for the 1200 mile service to get the car coded. Hope the anti dazzle can be coded...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Am waiting for the 1200 mile service to get the car coded. Hope the anti dazzle can be coded...
I have it on my 2020 M5 and I believe my coding guy said he carried that over from an M8.
Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50
      01-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
What 1200 mile service is that? I thought the first service was at 10,000 miles not 1200 miles?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
What 1200 mile service is that? I thought the first service was at 10,000 miles not 1200 miles?
All BMW M-cars have a 1,200 mile first-service.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:04 AM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

What's done in that first 1200 mile service?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:12 AM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
What's done in that first 1200 mile service?
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577949
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #15
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Saw this thread and thought I'd chime in since we have two BMWs, one with iDrive 6 and one with iDrive 7.

7 is quicker to render maps, and is quicker to reroute based on RTTI. It also looks better IMHO.

6 has more usable functionality. I'll explain.

6 has Google search built in, which is huge. 7 only pulls POIs from the onboard nav, online through HERE, and online through Yelp. If you live in an area of high growth where new businesses pop up all the time, you know that Google is the best at getting POIs up-and-running.

6 also has ConnectedDrive+ functionality actually working. Your CD portal will show that you have it in your car with 7, but the reality is that it's not enabled. If you use the "share live trip status" on 6, it works perfectly. Your contacts can see either your ETA or live location - perfect for when you may be meeting people up for dinner. That option does not exist in 7 at the moment.

Frankly, 7 has a lot of potential, but BMW has really messed up the rollout. I mean, just look at how poorly OTA is working around the world.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:52 AM   #16
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
6 has Google search built in, which is huge. 7 only pulls POIs from the onboard nav, online through HERE, and online through Yelp. If you live in an area of high growth where new businesses pop up all the time, you know that Google is the best at getting POIs up-and-running.

That is why even if sitting in the car, I always pull out my phone, search in CD app and send to car the location.
Annoying 2 step process, which nonetheless works
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:26 AM   #17
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
Quote:

That is why even if sitting in the car, I always pull out my phone, search in CD app and send to car the location.
I found out that when in the navigation menu and you select search and start typing it will show destinations from contacts in your iPhone but also online. So I start with the name of a store and sometimes I need to put in the city too and the navigation finds it. In Idrive 6 I had to click on online search but in 7 you can start typing in "search" with the same functionality. Alternative is to search in the cd app indeed and sent to car.
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      01-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #18
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeewiff03 View Post
Quote:

I found out that when in the navigation menu and you select search and start typing it will show destinations from contacts in your iPhone but also online. So I start with the name of a store and sometimes I need to put in the city too and the navigation finds it. In Idrive 6 I had to click on online search but in 7 you can start typing in "search" with the same functionality. Alternative is to search in the cd app indeed and sent to car.
Oh 7 does search online, not disputing that. It just searches HERE and Yelp for online POIs.

I'd rather have Google IMHO. So many HERE POIs are placed wrong on the map...when they actually show up.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #19
M5NSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Hello new to this forum. Bought a 2019 X2 and a 2020 X5 in November. Having connected drive issues with the 2020 idrive 7 but not the 2019 idrive 6 vehicle. I know BMW is having problems with connected drive but it seems to be with idrive 7? Tried all the suggestions from this forum, the useless genius and called connected drive people who told me it would be a month or more before someone got back to me. Love the X5 but want the connected drive app to work!! Anyone having similar problem? Suggestions? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #20
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5NSX View Post
Hello new to this forum. Bought a 2019 X2 and a 2020 X5 in November. Having connected drive issues with the 2020 idrive 7 but not the 2019 idrive 6 vehicle. I know BMW is having problems with connected drive but it seems to be with idrive 7? Tried all the suggestions from this forum, the useless genius and called connected drive people who told me it would be a month or more before someone got back to me. Love the X5 but want the connected drive app to work!! Anyone having similar problem? Suggestions? Thanks.
I had the same problem. I didn't get the code in my car to activate CD app on my iPhone. The app kept on telling me the code had ben sent but it wasn't.

Finally I called the CD online helpdesk (Belgium Holland) and within 5 minutes they activated the CD account on my phone. You need to give the vin of your car and the e-mail adress of your CD account. Maybe you can put a bit more pressure on them to activate the app . It shouldn't take long.

I hope they can help you.

I had a car with idrive 6 before and it only took two seconds the get the code and activate the connection.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #21
M5NSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
I had the same problem. I didn't get the code in my car to activate CD app on my iPhone. The app kept on telling me the code had ben sent but it wasn't.

Finally I called the CD online helpdesk (Belgium Holland) and within 5 minutes they activated the CD account on my phone. You need to give the vin of your car and the e-mail adress of your CD account. Maybe you can put a bit more pressure on them to activate the app . It shouldn't take long.

I had a car with idrive 6 before and it only took two seconds the get the code and activate the connection.
Thanks. I get the code and can see the vehicle in my app. It use to update mileage and gas etc but the remote functions never worked. Then everything stopped working. I talked to CD they somehow removed my vehicle from the app I put it back on. No problem getting the code in the car. Then everything worked but for only 5 minutes!! Hasn’t worked since and that was three weeks ago. Frustrating to say the least. CD lady said they get phone calls all day about this problem and apparently they are working on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5NSX View Post
Quote:

Thanks. I get the code and can see the vehicle in my app. It use to update mileage and gas etc but the remote functions never worked. Then everything stopped working. I talked to CD they somehow removed my vehicle from the app I put it back on. No problem getting the code in the car. Then everything worked but for only 5 minutes!! Hasn’t worked since and that was three weeks ago. Frustrating to say the least. CD lady said they get phone calls all day about this problem and apparently they are working on it.
Yes that's annoying. Mine sometimes doesn't work for an hour ore so but starts to work spontaneously. Hope they find a solution for you.
Appreciate 0