BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Can't setup digital key

Hi guys, I just picked up my X6 today. But I can't activate the digital key card. When I put the key card in the wireless charging station and try to activate it in idrive-setting-door/access, I can't see a BMW digital key option. All the service are subscribed and my software version is up to date 2019.11

Can someone help? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Hi guys, I just picked up my X6 today. But I can't activate the digital key card. When I put the key card in the wireless charging station and try to activate it in idrive-setting-door/access, I can't see a BMW digital key option. All the service are subscribed and my software version is up to date 2019.11

Can someone help? Thanks
You have to activate in the driver profiles Menu. You can chose how the car recognizes you. You can chose the standard key but also keycard and code. It's explained in the BMW driver's Guide app under driver profiles. It might even already be active but not linked to your profile. So put the card on top of the drivers doorhandle when the door is locked and it should unlock. It is not remote like the key. So you can't keep it in your pocket and open the door like with the normal key and comfort acces.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      01-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
You have to activate in the driver profiles Menu. You can chose how the car recognizes you. You can chose the standard key but also keycard and code. It's explained in the BMW driver's Guide app under driver profiles. It might even already be active but not linked to your profile. So put the card on top of the drivers doorhandle when the door is locked and it should unlock. It is not remote like the key
^ This...also, the digital key is different than the key card. I was confused when I got the car, but the key card is easier. Make sure you have your key fob in the car with your profile. Then, go to CAR > Settings > Doors/Access > BMW Digital Key ... then put the keycard in the wireless tray. You should see a prompt under Add new digital key that says "Key Card" with an icon to the left of it. Hit that prompt and tap "Activate digital key" and you should see a pop up that says it was accepted.

To test it, exit the car and take your key fob and put it somewhere away from the car. There's some info on here about placement of the key card on the door handle. Once that unlocks the car, go in and put the key card on the wireless tray, then foot on brake and start as usual. if it starts up you're good to go.

As mentioned before, you should make sure it is tied to your profile. go to CAR > Driver profiles, and tap your profile. You should see something along the lines of driver recognition. There's a couple options for key card, fob, pin, etc. Just make sure the key card is checked and you're good. Hope it works out...I am going off memory and the owner's manual app.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #4
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Can someone help? Thanks
You have to activate in the driver profiles Menu. You can chose how the car recognizes you. You can chose the standard key but also keycard and code. It's explained in the BMW driver's Guide app under driver profiles. It might even already be active but not linked to your profile. So put the card on top of the drivers doorhandle when the door is locked and it should unlock. It is not remote like the key. So you can't keep it in your pocket and open the door like with the normal key and comfort acces.
Thanks, but I tried in the driver profile, there is no digital key option as well...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #5
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Quote:
You have to activate in the driver profiles Menu. You can chose how the car recognizes you. You can chose the standard key but also keycard and code. It's explained in the BMW driver's Guide app under driver profiles. It might even already be active but not linked to your profile. So put the card on top of the drivers doorhandle when the door is locked and it should unlock. It is not remote like the key
^ This...also, the digital key is different than the key card. I was confused when I got the car, but the key card is easier. Make sure you have your key fob in the car with your profile. Then, go to CAR > Settings > Doors/Access > BMW Digital Key ... then put the keycard in the wireless tray. You should see a prompt under Add new digital key that says "Key Card" with an icon to the left of it. Hit that prompt and tap "Activate digital key" and you should see a pop up that says it was accepted.

To test it, exit the car and take your key fob and put it somewhere away from the car. There's some info on here about placement of the key card on the door handle. Once that unlocks the car, go in and put the key card on the wireless tray, then foot on brake and start as usual. if it starts up you're good to go.

As mentioned before, you should make sure it is tied to your profile. go to CAR > Driver profiles, and tap your profile. You should see something along the lines of driver recognition. There's a couple options for key card, fob, pin, etc. Just make sure the key card is checked and you're good. Hope it works out...I am going off memory and the owner's manual app.
Thanks, but I tried in the driver profile, there is no digital key option as well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can someone help? Thanks
Thanks, but I tried in the driver profile, there is no digital key option as well...
That is the menu and it should show the digital key as a third option. Can't help you sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

You need to add the digital key first. Only then can you link it to your profile.

on X5,it is under car; settings; doors/vehicle access; bmw digital key. Then activate digital key.

the card must be put in the charging bay in the centre console and you must have a proper key fob in the car. it can take a few attempts if the card is not positioned in the try exactly right.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #8
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
You need to add the digital key first. Only then can you link it to your profile.

on X5,it is under car; settings; doors/vehicle access; bmw digital key. Then activate digital key.

the card must be put in the charging bay in the centre console and you must have a proper key fob in the car. it can take a few attempts if the card is not positioned in the try exactly right.
Thanks, but I did it. On the car, setting, door/access, there is no 'BMW digital key' option...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks, but I did it. On the car, setting, door/access, there is no 'BMW digital key' option...
Did your dealership even tie the key to your car? I know when I was signing some papers...the only thing they had to do was activate the key. I think that’s tying it to your actual car, but then you have to activate Again. I’m probably using the wrong terms. I’ll go in my car in a little and try to take some pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did your dealership even tie the key to your car? I know when I was signing some papers...the only thing they had to do was activate the key. I think that's tying it to your actual car, but then you have to activate Again. I'm probably using the wrong terms. I'll go in my car in a little and try to take some pics.
Just remembred another post about the key card ( key card how to avoid logging in each time) If you want to link it the engine has to be off. Maybe you could try it like that?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

You should have a menu looking like this ( in English). I am afraid however they forgot to activate something and you need to go to the dealer.

FWIW I managed to activate it after trying sometime but haven't used it since. It's in my wallet. First time a lose my key somewhere I will be very happy. With comfort acces its easier to just use the key anyway you don't need to take it out of your pocket and the card needs to be put on the door handle and reader/charger

I wouldn't spend 1/2 day at the dealer to activate it. Maybe while doing the first service?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      01-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You should have a menu looking like this ( in English). I am afraid however they forgot to activate something and you need to go to the dealer.

FWIW I managed to activate it after trying sometime but haven't used it since. It's in my wallet. First time a lose my key somewhere I will be very happy. With comfort acces its easier to just use the key anyway you don't need to take it out of your pocket and the card needs to be put on the door handle and reader/charger

I wouldn't spend 1/2 day at the dealer to activate it. Maybe while doing the first service?
Thanks, yes that's what I am thinking as well. I found comfort access easier to use than digital key and I don't want to spend extra to activate it. Maybe I will do it in the first service or so.
Just curious can it be a software bug? My idrive doesn't have the digital key option, but it show is APP that I am subscribed to bmw digital key...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did your dealership even tie the key to your car? I know when I was signing some papers...the only thing they had to do was activate the key. I think that’s tying it to your actual car, but then you have to activate Again. I’m probably using the wrong terms. I’ll go in my car in a little and try to take some pics.
It should be tied already. Since on the APP, it shows I am subscribed to bmw digital key... Maybe it's a software bug, since on your people's car settings, it shows 'door/vehicle access', but in my car it shows 'door/access'... I don't even have the digital key option in my menu......
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
MotorboatinSOB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

Can someone help? Thanks
I've noticed this when trying to activate the digital key for clients in the most recent X5 and X7 vehicles. All you have to do is reboot the IDrive. With the vehicle running and in park, push in the volume knob for about 30 seconds. It will reboot the IDrive and the "Activate Digital Key" option will show up.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #15
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorboatinSOB View Post
Quote:

Can someone help? Thanks
I've noticed this when trying to activate the digital key for clients in the most recent X5 and X7 vehicles. All you have to do is reboot the IDrive. With the vehicle running and in park, push in the volume knob for about 30 seconds. It will reboot the IDrive and the "Activate Digital Key" option will show up.
Thanks a lot! I rebooted idrive and now it works. BTW, is there a way to link key card to the driver profile? I try to link, but it appears that only digital key in smart phone can be linked, not the digital key card.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
BTW, is there a way to link key card to the driver profile? I try to link, but it appears that only digital key in smart phone can be linked, not the digital key card.
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25007951
      03-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
ChickinX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 40i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorboatinSOB View Post
Thank you! This saved my day. Was figuring out since morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #18
tksamtec
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 45e

Is it possible to have the digital key in my Android (Samsung Wallet) and have the BMW credit card key (NF) activated at the same time, or is it 1 or the other? I can only seem to get 1 going at a time, and if the key is in my wallet, there is no option to activate the credit card key, so I can use it without my phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 11:23 AM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksamtec View Post
Is it possible to have the digital key in my Android (Samsung Wallet) and have the BMW credit card key (NF) activated at the same time, or is it 1 or the other? I can only seem to get 1 going at a time, and if the key is in my wallet, there is no option to activate the credit card key, so I can use it without my phone.
what year?

MY21 45e. I have both Digital Key on my iPhone and the digital key card activated and working properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 01:08 PM   #20
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksamtec View Post
I have both activated on my '22 45e. I'm using a S23 Ultra also.
Appreciate 0