BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Ordered my m50i yesterday with bunch of options including display key (3DS for CAD$300). But now I am confused about digital key. Which is which? I am thinking the credit card style key is the digital key and the mouse look-like thing with a screen is the display key?

I don't see anything mentioning the credit card type key anywhere in Canadian order guide, so is it standard?

Also, with digital key, display key, do I still have the traditional remote/key fob? With the potential of connected drive app, I got too many ways to access the car
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Ordered my m50i yesterday with bunch of options including display key (3DS for CAD$300). But now I am confused about digital key. Which is which? I am thinking the credit card style key is the digital key and the mouse look-like thing with a screen is the display key?

I don't see anything mentioning the credit card type key anywhere in Canadian order guide, so is it standard?

Also, with digital key, display key, do I still have the traditional remote/key fob? With the potential of connected drive app, I got too many ways to access the car
Digital Key = Samsung Android-only digital key functionality through Android NFC and app; lots of people are hoping for the same functionality under modern iOS phones, but nothing yet

Digital Key Card = flat credit-card-sized passive NFC card; one of these should come with every X5 standard, including in Canada

Neither Display Key nor the regular Key FOB are referred to as Digital Keys of any kind.
volodp196.50
      01-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Yeah I think this is what you're asking about and what you should get. Pretty sure the credit card "key" is included on all cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Quote:

Yeah I think this is what you're asking about and what you should get. Pretty sure the credit card "key" is included on all cars.
How about the traditional remote fob? Does the car comes with two of those as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
How about the traditional remote fob? Does the car comes with two of those as well?
Yap.
      01-28-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got one standard key fob. One display key and one credit card key. I asked about the second fob but they told me it was replaced by the display key. I don't know if this is correct? On my previous 6 Gt I had 2 key fobs and the display key.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:06 AM   #7
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I got one standard key fob. One display key and one credit card key. I asked about the second fob but they told me it was replaced by the display key. I don't know if this is correct? On my previous 6 Gt I had 2 key fobs and the display key.
Same here, one normal and one display key.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      01-29-2020, 12:46 AM   #8
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Quote:
Pay more, get less.
Weird. I'd have thought you'd get the 2 normal plus the display, not that it replaces one.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      01-29-2020, 01:33 AM   #9
ams3177
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 30D MSports

Garage List
2014 BMW 530D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting. Here in UK, I got just one fob and a display key, I was never given second fob or the digital key.
Can other folks from UK confirm if this is what they have got as well? Otherwise I will need to contact my dealership. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:34 AM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Quote:
Pay more, get less.
Weird. I'd have thought you'd get the 2 normal plus the display, not that it replaces one.
I would have too. Especially because I got 2 and the display in the 6 GT. Glad that Perfiki confirmed and they didn't just forgot mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:37 AM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams3177 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting. Here in UK, I got just one fob and a display key, I was never given second fob or the digital key.
Can other folks from UK confirm if this is what they have got as well? Otherwise I will need to contact my dealership. Thanks in advance.
Display key replaces the second fob. The card is a black card only showing BMW. Should be in the wireless charger with tape when the car was delivered. Do you have comfort acces?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #12
ams3177
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 30D MSports

Garage List
2014 BMW 530D  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Display key replaces the second fob. The card is a black card only showing BMW. Should be in the wireless charger with tape when the car was delivered. Do you have comfort acces?
I don't have comfort access and there was no card in the charging tray
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The credit card key will only work with comfort acces I think. So that's the reason probably.
Appreciate 1
ams317715.00
      01-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #14
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Keycard and two keys, plus the App are sufficient. IMHO save the 300 bucks and cancel the display key, it's a bit bulky too.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Keycard and two keys, plus the App are sufficient. IMHO save the 300 bucks and cancel the display key, it's a bit bulky too.
I would even dare to state that two keys and the app are sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X5M50D

Quote:

I have had the display key for one year now and must say it is useless. Yes it has a display and looks like something from starwars. It is just to big and heavy. I have my phone always on the wireless charger. That means you cannot charge the display key at the same time. Both keys needs to be stored in a metal box or far away from your door as thieves loves how easy it is to steal a BMW just by using a device that replicate the signal from your key. Nowdays I use my digital key only as it is safer and less to carry.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:21 AM   #17
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

I believe new BMW car keys are disabled when laying still, and enabled (for comfort access) only when they detect motion. So shouldn't be any reason to put them inside a metal enclosure..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:41 AM   #18
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:

Snap. Not found a good use for the display key yet. Did try to swap the display key for an ordinary fob, but couldn't.

But in addition I got an additional non electric key (like the one that slides out of the fob). Given how quickly the display key loses charge, that's likely our emergency key.

Actually, never thought about it until now, how would I use that key...? I presume unlocking the door with it means I can start the engine (as I don't think there is anywhere to insert the key...?)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:42 AM   #19
wanman
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 40i

Took delivery in Dec of a 2020. I do have comfort access and received 2 regular type key fobs and the key card that was placed in the charging tray. After reading some of the posts here I am wondering if I should have received 1 key fob and 1 display key? Or did you guys receiving the display key instead of the 2nd fob pay extra?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:51 AM   #20
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The Display key is an extra option on top of comfort access (at least in my country)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:05 AM   #21
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
The Display key is an extra option on top of comfort access (at least in my country)
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #22
Slaktaren
G05sweden
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X5M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
I believe new BMW car keys are disabled when laying still, and enabled (for comfort access) only when they detect motion. So shouldn't be any reason to put them inside a metal enclosure..
Hi,

I will test if mine go to sleep if they have not been moved for what I have googled 2-3 minutes. Someone simply just put the key on the ground. Opened the door. Locked it and tried again after 3 minutes and it could not open without moving the keys again.
Appreciate 0