BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Rear seat entertainment is a wow factor everyone is amazed at my current x5 and x7 , not for the tv ability it's the rear I drive that's insane , absolutely worth every penny
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #24
Millennium68
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo2712 View Post
It is EXTREMELY floaty and bouncy...specially in the back, even in sport plus.
I'm comming from an F15 with standard suspension and 20's and it felt a lot more sporty. I've had the car for two weeks and can't get used to it. I'm trying really hard but is getting difficult.
Absolutely agree with you. I have same feelings. Also breaks are not on the strong side as well - too much travel. I trusted breaks in F15 more.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #25
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfletcher View Post
I wish I got the leather dash. I thought it was kinda silly due to price but now I notice it. Really, I wish the 50i/M/Executive came with it standard instead of a cheap rubber one. At least use sensatec...

Very glad I got the 22's and 50i. The engine is crazy fun and the wheels look basa$$. Conti's do have too much road noise tho - glad for the accoustic glass. Still, they give the car the look that makes me happy every time I walk up to it.

As I've said in other posts, ventilation is huge for me in Tx, just wish it was actually good. Still checks the "better than nothing" box but def is a "is this thing even on" implementation in this car.

Edit: forgot to mention Driver Assistance is a must. Love it!
I was watching a few videos and came across one that looked like it had a crack or some kind of line in the center of the dash top, from the windshield to the front just above the display. The camera was moving around and the video quality wasn't that good so I couldn't figure out what I was looking at.
I went to the BMW site and built the X5 but could not see that crack/line in the build pix. Then on another video I saw it plain as day...it was the leather dash and it did have a seam there. Why?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #26
imfletcher
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘18XC90,‘13A8L->&#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
I wish I got the leather dash. I thought it was kinda silly due to price but now I notice it. Really, I wish the 50i/M/Executive came with it standard instead of a cheap rubber one. At least use sensatec...

Very glad I got the 22's and 50i. The engine is crazy fun and the wheels look basa$$. Conti's do have too much road noise tho - glad for the accoustic glass. Still, they give the car the look that makes me happy every time I walk up to it.

As I've said in other posts, ventilation is huge for me in Tx, just wish it was actually good. Still checks the "better than nothing" box but def is a "is this thing even on" implementation in this car.

Edit: forgot to mention Driver Assistance is a must. Love it!
I was watching a few videos and came across one that looked like it had a crack or some kind of line in the center of the dash top, from the windshield to the front just above the display. The camera was moving around and the video quality wasn't that good so I couldn't figure out what I was looking at.
I went to the BMW site and built the X5 but could not see that crack/line in the build pix. Then on another video I saw it plain as day...it was the leather dash and it did have a seam there. Why?
Probably the B&W Speakers? Has a logo in the center
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #27
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The pic I originally posted has the Harman Kardon system. I just wonder if its difficult getting a solid piece of leather big enough for the entire dash.

Here is are a couple pix showing the B&W and the HK system. No matter which sound system you get, the dash seam is only with the leather dash.
Attached Images

Last edited by Marty in NY; 05-02-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #28
dbull2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5; 2017 Audi Q7

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
The pic I originally posted has the Harman Kardon system. I just wonder if its difficult getting a solid piece of leather big enough for the entire dash.

Here is are a couple pix showing the B&W and the HK system. No matter which sound system you get, the dash seam is only with the leather dash.
I have the sensa tec dash and it has the seam in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull2 View Post
I have the sensa tec dash and it has the seam in the middle.
Now I'm really confused!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #30
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
It's easier to mold a one piece seamless soft touch dash than leather covered.

They've had seamless one piece leather top dash in the F15. There's a lot more surface to cover on the G05 than the tiered F15 dash design.

Whatever the reason the seam isn't that noticeable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #31
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Favorite option (a few): B&W sound system, DHP, the seats (comfort with massage + heat/cool) and the heated + cooled cup holders.

Regret (this is really pushing it since there are no true regrets) not getting 20" wheels since the 21"s lack tire options still.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #32
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo2712 View Post
It is EXTREMELY floaty and bouncy...specially in the back, even in sport plus.
I'm comming from an F15 with standard suspension and 20's and it felt a lot more sporty. I've had the car for two weeks and can't get used to it. I'm trying really hard but is getting difficult.
is yours a 40i with air suspension? my 50i with DHP is anything but floaty and rides smoothly in all drove modes including Sport+
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #33
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

My favorite options are the B&W audio system (I am an audiophile) and the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant .

The optional Driving Assistant Professional offers the full complement of assistance systems for comfortable and safe motoring. Underpinning it all is a trifocal camera co-developed with Mobileye, working in conjunction with a front facing radar. This complete package makes its systems available in an exceptionally wide range of situations. In addition to all the components of the Driving Assistant and the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, it also includes the Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant, which takes its cues from road markings and vehicles driving ahead and works together with the driver to help keep the vehicle in the detected lane. A dedicated button on the steering wheel’s left-hand spoke ensures the systems are easy to operate. Pushing it once activates both the Active Cruise Control and the Steering and Lane Keeping Assistant.

The Driving Assistant Professional also features the Lane Keeping Assistant with Active Side Collision Avoidance. As well as emitting visual warning signals and causing the steering wheel to vibrate, active side collision avoidance also uses a steering input to help avoid collisions. Rounding off the Driving Assistant Professional’s extensive list of functions are the Evasion Assistance, which now also reacts to pedestrians and Cross-Traffic Alert.

The Extended Traffic Jam Assistant is designed to help the driver during the most tedious driving environment, stop and go traffic. Designed to operate on limited access highways at speeds up to 37 mph, this system integrates Lane Keeping Assistant, Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go and a driver attention monitoring camera that replaces the need to touch the steering wheel every 30-50 seconds as long as the driver’s attention is clearly on the road ahead.

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3332&mid
Appreciate 4
      05-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #34
Abegweit
Private
Rep
Drives: 17' 340 6mt/19' X5 40i

Based on this thread I'm hoping I got it right. Take delivery Monday...

CB 40i M Sport
21", Air, IAS
Massage + vent, laser lights, HK (Premium Enhanced pkg in Canada)

I drove a number of different testers with air, and while I understand in part the complaint about it feeling floaty, I actually thought it was a great balance with the 21s.

I went without ACC because I didn't care for the rest of the package (semi autonomous features just don't do anything for me). I also gave up the kick to open in favour of the hitch, which I'm ok with. The kick to open on our 340 sucks. Walk behind the car in the garage with a key in your pocket, stupid thing opens every time.

Fingers crossed for Monday!

Last edited by Abegweit; 05-03-2019 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #35
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

My car came from a refused custom order on my dealer's showroom floor. It was built almost as I was going to order it myself but without HK or the leather dashboard.

Surprisingly, the lack of HK does not bother me at all, I actually prefer the sound to the "upgraded" Bose in my 911 that I bought the week before the X5...
.............. but I really wish it had the leather dashboard (seam and all)

Last edited by wrickem; 05-03-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #36
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Which package is the dash leather covered in the UK does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #37
BMW lifer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 40i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Which package is the dash leather covered in the UK does anyone know?
None - it’s a separately configurable option
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #38
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I went to have a look at your UK site for building the car, wow, sooo much diff than the US site, none the less, here is a screen shot showing the leather dash option
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #39
mjustice
Rep
Drives: 22 X5MC

40i or 50i

This is a great thread and will help with my order. But first I need to decide between 40i or 50i. Currently have a 16 35i with msport package and have never felt I was lacking power. The funny thing was that when I got it, this was my biggest concern coming from Range Rover supercharged. I have driven them both and still not sure. Once I can decide on this I may wait for 2020 model.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #40
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I like power. I don't always use what I have but just knowing its there makes me feel better

That said, there's a $15K differential between the 40i and 50i and I'm not convinced I would use all that the 50i gives you or even if I did, I don't know if I could really appreciate what 0.7 seconds to 60 feels like.

I think I'd put the difference in money towards features and options I'd use on a regular basis.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #41
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I like power. I don't always use what I have but just knowing its there makes me feel better

That said, there's a $15K differential between the 40i and 50i and I'm not convinced I would use all that the 50i gives you or even if I did, I don't know if I could really appreciate what 0.7 seconds to 60 feels like.

I think I'd put the difference in money towards features and options I'd use on a regular basis.
The $15k difference is not just for the engine, the 50i also comes with some features that are an option on the 40i.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #42
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Bumping this...would be interested in recent opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:46 AM   #43
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxnatscaps View Post
Bumping this...would be interested in recent opinions.
So I picked my G05 up on Saturday and must say I'm in love.

Favourite feature... there are so many! But right now I'd have to say the head up display. Just makes the driving experience so much nicer, focused on the road, helps keep an upright driving position

Least favourite... struggling with this one, may come back and edit in the future. I initially didn't want the 21's and was happy to go with the 20's, but the way they look is amazing, may feel differently when I go tyre shopping

Wish I had got... none, I got the car I was after, anything else wasn't worth spending a whole pack upgrade for one feature
      09-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #44
austinb1212
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

My G05 arrived in June and I am thoroughly impressed. I owned 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees over the years and decided to switch it up.

• The auto backup is a feature I did not know about until after I got the car. I have a narrow driveway with a tight stone arch over a section of the driveway. I never backed my Jeep out of the driveway. Now I just press a button and my car backs all the way out on its own. This feature is amazing. I can't own another car without it.
  • The technology of this car is impressive. I find it to be very intuitive.
  • I am so glad I got the M Sport package. I love the look of the black exterior trim.
  • I love the look of the Anthracite-Brown Poplar Matte Finish Wood. I highly recommend it if you do lot no like glossy interior wood trim.
Dislikes: The ventilated seats are useless. The seats in my Jeep actually cooled. I usually turned on the cooled seats on a hot day with the windows down and the a/c off.

Wishes: I regret not getting the leather dashboard. I would have settled for the SensaTec. I do not like the look of the plastic dashboard.
Appreciate 0