BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Any way to change the default map zoom in auto zoom mode?

Hi guys, just got back from my first decently long drive today (70 miles each way). Overall great car and very comfortable. One annoying thing with the map view during navigation. I had it set in “auto zoom” mode but once I was on the highway it zoomed way out to the 10 mile scale to show the entire remaining route but it’s really not a useful scale for the map to be at. Is there some way to reduce this default zoom to remain at the 1 or 2.5 mile scale? Otherwise I can turn off the auto zoom but then it doesn’t adjust when approaching a turn or exit ramp etc which is probably worse to me. The dash would normally display a more zoomed in view of the route in which to see the upcoming curvature of the road but that disappears if using the advanced driving view with the adaptive cruise control. Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreamerNYC View Post
Hi guys, just got back from my first decently long drive today (70 miles each way). Overall great car and very comfortable. One annoying thing with the map view during navigation. I had it set in "auto zoom" mode but once I was on the highway it zoomed way out to the 10 mile scale to show the entire remaining route but it's really not a useful scale for the map to be at. Is there some way to reduce this default zoom to remain at the 1 or 2.5 mile scale? Otherwise I can turn off the auto zoom but then it doesn't adjust when approaching a turn or exit ramp etc which is probably worse to me. The dash would normally display a more zoomed in view of the route in which to see the upcoming curvature of the road but that disappears if using the advanced driving view with the adaptive cruise control. Thanks for the tips!
This is by design, unfortunately.

The only work around I'm aware of is to enable split screen mode, and have a second map view zoomed at a fixed distance e.g. 200 or 500m. That way you get the overview and a close up at all times. You can save the split screen on/off as a shortcut, so you can press a button to toggle the split screen on and off.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I use the manual zoom, but I swear there’s an option buried in the map or nag settings to enable the ramp or turn screen. I’ll check in a little and post here. I know mine does what you’re speaking of in manual mode.

EDIT: Isn't 3D Intersection the feature you're describing? Sorry if I misunderstood.

Last edited by randybobandy; 01-12-2020 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
EDIT: Isn't 3D Intersection the feature you're describing? Sorry if I misunderstood.
I am not certain if 3D intersection is what I am describing. I will try what you describe next time to check it out, but what I meant is that on the auto zoom mode, the location of the next step (say, the highway splits and you need to choose the right or the left fork) is specifically shown on the zoomed out map with the distance to that step and when you get close to it, say a mile out, it zooms in just until you get through that area and then zooms way back out.

I've been having some problems setting the shortcut buttons - I'll peruse the manual again to see what I am doing wrong. Is there some way to save the homescreen of CarPlay or any of the apps in CarPlay as a hot button?
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Yep, it's awesome. I have 2 buttons, one for Phone in CarPlay and one for music. If you go to the Phone screen in carplay, you should be able to press and hold one of the 8 buttons to save...same for the music screen. let me know if it works out. It takes out a couple steps when starting up the car and getting to where you want to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep, it's awesome. I have 2 buttons, one for Phone in CarPlay and one for music. If you go to the Phone screen in carplay, you should be able to press and hold one of the 8 buttons to save...same for the music screen. let me know if it works out. It takes out a couple steps when starting up the car and getting to where you want to be.
Which music screen do you mean? I typically listen to Spotify via CarPlay and was not able to save a shortcut button when on the main Spotify screen. What I tried to do was immediately after going into CarPlay clicking the little Spotify icon on the left hand side to open spotify and then holding down one of the memory buttons once the Spotify screen came up. My wife thought maybe I couldn't save the screen to the button because we were driving, I'll try it again whilst parked later on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Which music screen do you mean? I typically listen to Spotify via CarPlay and was not able to save a shortcut button when on the main Spotify screen. What I tried to do was immediately after going into CarPlay clicking the little Spotify icon on the left hand side to open spotify and then holding down one of the memory buttons once the Spotify screen came up. My wife thought maybe I couldn't save the screen to the button because we were driving, I'll try it again whilst parked later on.
I don’t think you can save any CarPlay screen except for the main screen in CarPlay, music, phone, or maps. Anything third party people, lime Spotify, google maps/waze, etc won’t work.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think you can save any CarPlay screen except for the main screen in CarPlay, music, phone, or maps. Anything third party people, lime Spotify, google maps/waze, etc won’t work.
So music you mean apple music?

How do I save the main home screen in CarPlay? That would be great enough for me.

Ideally what I would like to save to buttons is (again, not sure if this possible):

1) Toggle between auto zoom and fixed zoom (say 1/2 mile scale) in the map. If can't do a toggle then one button for auto zoom and one for fixed zoom.

2) Main home screen in Apple CarPlay.

3) Toggle between phone in CarPlay mode and phone in iDrive mode. I *think* the phone needs to be in iDrive mode in order to utilize my contacts via iDrive (i.e. say something like "hey BMW call Dave") -- though when I put the car into phone in iDrive mode I still am not able to get any of my contacts to populate, so I must be doing something incorrectly, but assuming I could figure that out, a button to toggle the phone in between the modes would be nice (say for when I am listening to the radio rather than streaming music).

As an aside, this car definitely does make me feel a little stupid! But it is not quite intuitive -- just a matter of figuring out how BMW want's us to use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
So music you mean apple music?

How do I save the main home screen in CarPlay? That would be great enough for me.

Ideally what I would like to save to buttons is (again, not sure if this possible):

1) Toggle between auto zoom and fixed zoom (say 1/2 mile scale) in the map. If can't do a toggle then one button for auto zoom and one for fixed zoom.

2) Main home screen in Apple CarPlay.

3) Toggle between phone in CarPlay mode and phone in iDrive mode. I *think* the phone needs to be in iDrive mode in order to utilize my contacts via iDrive (i.e. say something like "hey BMW call Dave") -- though when I put the car into phone in iDrive mode I still am not able to get any of my contacts to populate, so I must be doing something incorrectly, but assuming I could figure that out, a button to toggle the phone in between the modes would be nice (say for when I am listening to the radio rather than streaming music).

As an aside, this car definitely does make me feel a little stupid! But it is not quite intuitive -- just a matter of figuring out how BMW want's us to use it.
Ha I still feel dumb in the car! Not sure about number 1, but for the other 2...

2. Go into the main screen of CarPlay. You can pick either Apple Music or Phone, but as long as it’s at either of those screens you’re fine. Press and hold one of the 1-8 buttons and it should save. To confirm, lightly touch, but do not press the button you just saved (i.e. #3), and at the top you’ll see something like “Phone in CarPlay”.

3. Fairly certain you can still do hey bmw for calling contacts if your phone is still paired as CarPlay. Just make sure your contacts are loaded. Switch Your phone over to iDrive from CarPlay in mobile device settings and you’ll see an option to release contacts. Do that and switch back and test. You should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Ok cool, I will try these steps and see what happens. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so I figured out how to make the buttons work. Essentially you need to find the iDrive button (on the screen) that you would click to get to whatever it is you want, and with that button highlighted (i.e. turn the scroll/navigation wheel until it is highlighted in red) hold one of the memory buttons down. So to get to set a button to Apple CarPlay you have to find in the iDrive system where you can go to "phone in CarPlay" or "music in CarPlay", highlight the button on the screen, and then hold down the memory button you want to program for that.

For the maps, if you open the settings while on a map where you can set the default zoom behavior if you highlight the "auto zoom" button you can store that as a memory button and if you are in manual zoom you can just store any given zoom and perspective setting you have on currently to a memory button as well, so now I have one for auto zoom and one for manual zoom at a level I like and it is easy to switch between the two. I already had 3d intersection view enabled and that is not the view mode I was talking about that I liked from the auto zoom mode.

Quote:

2. Go into the main screen of CarPlay. You can pick either Apple Music or Phone, but as long as it’s at either of those screens you’re fine. Press and hold one of the 1-8 buttons and it should save. To confirm, lightly touch, but do not press the button you just saved (i.e. #3), and at the top you’ll see something like “Phone in CarPlay”.
This definitely didn't work for me. I was able to store "phone in CarPlay" as a memory button by clicking on the communications button, highlighting the phone in CarPlay button and storing it in a memory button. Once in the desired CarPlay app itself I was unable to store it to a memory button. Curious if that is how it actually works for you or not. I did not store the music in CarPlay just yet, but I would assume it works like the "maps in CarPlay" button which takes you to the last used map app -- maybe "music in CarPlay" takes you to the last used music app (Spotify for me) .. indeed, clicking on the "media" button next to the scroll wheel while I am playing Spotify via CarPlay does take me straight there so I assume that can be stored.

One thing I forgot to try but will try next time is the store the "CarPlay" button as a memory -- I mean the button that you get to by pushing up on the controller to get to the top scroll bar thing and then near all the way to the left is a CarPlay button which takes you to your last used screen in CarPlay. Ideally I could store this to a memory button, I bet it works -- will try next time I'm in the car.

Quote:
3. Fairly certain you can still do hey bmw for calling contacts if your phone is still paired as CarPlay. Just make sure your contacts are loaded. Switch Your phone over to iDrive from CarPlay in mobile device settings and you’ll see an option to release contacts. Do that and switch back and test. You should be good to go.
So this definitely didn't work. I was struggling to get my phonebook paired to the car, eventually I deleted my phone and re-added it back and the phonebook was able to sync. In the process I messed up the CarPlay connection - the phone was connected twice, once as "Noah's iPhone" (the real one, with all but the wifi icon next to it on the screen) and once as "Noah-iPhone" with just the wifi icon next to it. I spent probably 20 minutes connected, disconnected, and mucking around with it before I gave up and started driving off and somehow magically it just went back to the way it worked before with just the one line and all the icons on it. I have no idea how I fixed it. Anyway, when the phone is connected in iDrive mode if you click on communications it lets you view the address book and you can "hey bmw call whoever" and it works. If the phone is connected in CarPlay mode the address book disappears from the communications page and the only option is "phone in CarPlay" which takes you into CarPlay itself. Likewise the hey bmw does not know how to call anyone because it looses access to the phone book whilst you are in CarPlay mode. You can long press the microphone button on the steering wheel to ask Siri to call someone for you. You can also long press and ask Siri to play you something from Spotify, which is pretty cool.

Again, curious if you've found some way around this as this was as far as I could take it with the phonebook stuff. I was hoping to code a memory button(s) to switch the phone between iDrive mode and CarPlay mode but the closes I could get is to the screen where you can select the phone you want to be connected (which then requires clicking the phone and then scrolling to the relevant section and toggling the pairing mode between CarPlay and iDrive).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #12
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Ok so I was giving you the wrong info! My apologizes...I was just testing out how I did it again, and here it is...
1. Press MEDIA Button, then hover over Music in CarPlay, then press and hold the 1-8 button you want to assign.
2. Press COMM Button, then hover over Phone in CarPlay, then press and hold the 1-8 button you want to assign.

I do no think you can jump to a third-party app within CarPlay, but assigning via the media button will take you to the main music page, which you can select Spotify from once in. I do not think you can necessary assign a button to switch between carplay and idrive phone. My recommendation, which I did something like this with ambient lighting, would be to assign a shortcut to the Mobile Device Settings with the 1-8 buttons. this way, you can change with the tap of one button and selecting which one you want versus going through the screens. Hope this helps.

I have to ask, what is the difference between asking BMW and Siri to call contacts? I find Siri to be a bit quicker, and handles messaging better for iPhones.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Nice ok this jives with how I was doing it yesterday as well. The only difference between asking BMW and Siri to call contacts is whether I need to press the microphone button or not. With the BMW one I can just say “hey BMW” to activate it whereas I do not have my phone set to activate upon saying “hey Siri” so it requires the button press. Very minor difference overall and not a big deal just was curious if I could get it exactly how I wanted it. It’s still an awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #14
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Nice ok this jives with how I was doing it yesterday as well. The only difference between asking BMW and Siri to call contacts is whether I need to press the microphone button or not. With the BMW one I can just say “hey BMW” to activate it whereas I do not have my phone set to activate upon saying “hey Siri” so it requires the button press. Very minor difference overall and not a big deal just was curious if I could get it exactly how I wanted it. It’s still an awesome car!
Yeah it stinks that you can’t activate Siri if connected to CarPlay via voice. However, using hey bmw for setting climate amongst other things is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #15
vladm
Rep
Drives: X5

I second that auto-zoom sucks on highway, tends to zoom out way out to show entire route - not useful.
      01-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #16
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladm View Post
I second that auto-zoom sucks on highway, tends to zoom out way out to show entire route - not useful.
I have to ask, am I the only one who loves the manual zoom? I flip between 400ft and 600ft and it's perfect. I agree with you both, the first time I used nav without changing...I thought it was broken. Kept thinking it was doing a route overview...no idea how anyone at BMW thought that would be useful. Missed turns and slightly confusing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #17
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I have to ask, am I the only one who loves the manual zoom? I flip between 400ft and 600ft and it's perfect. I agree with you both, the first time I used nav without changing...I thought it was broken. Kept thinking it was doing a route overview...no idea how anyone at BMW thought that would be useful. Missed turns and slightly confusing.
But you can only do that within the nav screen - very usefull then - but if you're in the HOME screen and have the NAV as one of your tiles, your're stuck with autozoom.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #18
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
I like my wife’s ‘14 BMW 650 nav system: split screens (keep one at 500’ and other at 2 miles) and on nav automatically brings up detail view of lanes. Don’t know how it’s set but like as is.
I’m hoping X5 operates similarly. Found confusing with my prior Audi SQ5 that all controls were slightly different. Had to remind myself which car I was in to remember how to unlock a door.
Appreciate 0