BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Lost ASS Memory After Coding Back Comfort Mode

So I coded Sport Individual to default at engine start as well as ASS memory, but later decided it was using too much gas and coded it back to Comfort. At that point the ASS off light went out and the memory function was no longer active. Whenever I try recoding it, I get the error:

Transaktions-Report: Aktion: NCD Codieren

DME_BAC2 [12]
cdDeploy FinishedWithError
cafd_00002742-000_160_009 NotExecutable

I'm using Esys, Esysx and am on 7.19.53. Anyone know else lost their ASS memory and been able to get it back?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
So I coded Sport Individual to default at engine start as well as ASS memory, but later decided it was using too much gas and coded it back to Comfort. At that point the ASS off light went out and the memory function was no longer active. Whenever I try recoding it, I get the error:

Transaktions-Report: Aktion: NCD Codieren

DME_BAC2 [12]
cdDeploy FinishedWithError
cafd_00002742-000_160_009 NotExecutable

I'm using Esys, Esysx and am on 7.19.53. Anyone know else lost their ASS memory and been able to get it back?
Are you coding with engine running? IIRC, ASS is in DME and you can't code DME when engine is running. DME has to be coded strictly in Diagnostic Mode.
      01-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Are you coding with engine running? IIRC, ASS is in DME and you can't code DME when engine is running. DME has to be coded strictly in Diagnostic Mode.
Yes the engine was running. It worked the first time with it running. I’m wondering why coding a different module resulted in it going away. Anyway, will try again with the engine off. Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes the engine was running. It worked the first time with it running. I'm wondering why coding a different module resulted in it going away. Anyway, will try again with the engine off. Thank you!!!
A few ideas, all a kind of user error, which is why a few of us insist on coders being detailed, attentive, and build up experience over time:
  • it is actually still working, but last set value was ASS on (light off); as you state, it is a memory, not a disable of ASS
  • used Code rather than Code NCD
  • Coded NCD but with an NCD file that was pre-ASS coded (example backup)
I am sure there are at least a dozen ways to slip up.
      01-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
A few ideas, all a kind of user error, which is why a few of us insist on coders being detailed, attentive, and build up experience over time:
  • it is actually still working, but last set value was ASS on (light off); as you state, it is a memory, not a disable of ASS
It’s not any of those things as far as I can tell. I tried diag mode with the engine off (pressed start button three times). Esys showed I was in diag in the lower right corner, but when I read the ECUs, I only got 10 as opposed to 36 with the engine running and none of the 10 were the one for ASS memory so I couldn’t proceed.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
It’s not any of those things as far as I can tell. I tried diag mode with the engine off (pressed start button three times). Esys showed I was in diag in the lower right corner, but when I read the ECUs, I only got 10 as opposed to 36 with the engine running and none of the 10 were the one for ASS memory so I couldn’t proceed.
That doesn't sound right at all. You probably want to start at the top of your coding steps sequences as previously discussed. You might not have connected using the right ISTEP or failed to read SVT, or something like that. Impossible to tell remotely, but 10 ECUs in Diagnostic Mode is not right.
      01-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Maybe I wasn’t in diag mode. Thought I was as I did the three start presses and saw diag next to my VIN in esys in the target window. I was definitely using the same I-step that worked all the other times. I’ll take a screen shot next time I attempt.

Is there anything else besides the 3 start presses you have to do for diag and does the car indicate when it it has entered diag mode? In searching I’ve seen some mention of holding down the BC button after the 3 start presses but that was for other cars so not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe I wasn't in diag mode. Thought I was as I did the three start presses and saw diag next to my VIN in esys in the target window. I was definitely using the same I-step that worked all the other times. I'll take a screen shot next time I attempt.

Is there anything else besides the 3 start presses you have to do for diag and does the car indicate when it it has entered diag mode? In searching I've seen some mention of holding down the BC button after the 3 start presses but that was for other cars so not sure.
Yes, when in diag mode, the car indicates diag mode in the instrument display text area and with a persistent message in the entertainment display. Also, HVAC will operate and auto lights will activate as if the engine is running (but it isn't).

I really think you should step back and ramp yourself up slowly until all of this is second nature. The road you're on is going to end in tears.
      01-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, when in diag mode, the car indicates diag mode in the instrument display text area and with a persistent message in the entertainment display. Also, HVAC will operate and auto lights will activate as if the engine is running (but it isn't).

I really think you should step back and ramp yourself up slowly until all of this is second nature. The road you're on is going to end in tears.
Well I didn’t see anything on the car to indicate diag, so perhaps that is my problem. I pressed the start stop button three times in rapid succession. I mean I can count to 3 .

As for starting off slowly, I was under the impression that ASS memory was as basic as it gets, so I’m not sure what I’m stepping back to at this point. Thanks for all of your advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:25 AM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Well I didn't see anything on the car to indicate diag, so perhaps that is my problem. I pressed the start stop button three times in rapid succession. I mean I can count to 3 .

As for starting off slowly, I was under the impression that ASS memory was as basic as it gets, so I'm not sure what I'm stepping back to at this point. Thanks for all of your advice!
ASS coding is very basic with Bimmercode (where you still have to read and follow their instructions). It is only slightly more complex in ESys, so yes, still basic. But all coding has a baseline and doing it slowly, reading forums, and fighting through the baseline confusion and chaos causes some things to become second nature.

My observation is that it seems you might be missing that "hard earned baseline understanding". Apologies if wrong, I am just going by the fundamental nature of the questions. Even if I am wrong, this observation ought to be valuable to others getting into coding.
      01-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
maczrool
Captain
Rep

No offense taken. You’ve been a huge help. I’ve gotten a few things coded already and I’m not likely to fiddle with it much after the ASS memory is back. Thanks to your assistance I have coded:

ADV
Alpine Dash without logo
Temp tire display
Sport Plus at startup (decided not to keep it)
Anti-dazzle (I think)

Really not looking to do much else but ASS memory and maybe the auto speed assist thing which has been advised against so maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I suspect the answer will be no, but is there any way to code default at startup to "Adaptive" mode using Bimmercode advanced mode? ..I dont think the ECU for driving modes supports advanced mode in Bimmercode?

I find myself changing to "Adaptive" mode every day, it offers the best transmission, engine, and suspension comfort.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I suspect the answer will be no, but is there any way to code default at startup to "Adaptive" mode using Bimmercode advanced mode? ..I dont think the ECU for driving modes supports advanced mode in Bimmercode?

I find myself changing to "Adaptive" mode every day, it offers the best transmission, engine, and suspension comfort.
No, can't code start up driving mode with Bimmercode ... yet.
      01-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
maczrool
Captain
Rep

I got the ASS memory back by coding in diag mode as suggested. I guess I really wasn’t in diag mode initially. You actually have to press the start/stop button four times to enter it. I believe the key needs to be inside the car. The first press is a longer one as if starting it but without the foot on the brake followed by three rapid presses, then the instrument cluster shows diagnostic mode and you can program as usual.

I’ve not found any explicit instructions on how to enter diagnostic mode so that is why all the false starts with it. Actually that’s coding BMWs in general. So many missing bits and pieces that have to guessed at or stumbled upon. Oh well. I knew that going in. Thanks again for all of your assistance and patience!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I got the ASS memory back by coding in diag mode as suggested. I guess I really wasn't in diag mode initially. You actually have to press the start/stop button four times to enter it. I believe the key needs to be inside the car. The first press is a longer one as if starting it but without the foot on the brake followed by three rapid presses, then the instrument cluster shows diagnostic mode and you can program as usual.

I've not found any explicit instructions on how to enter diagnostic mode so that is why all the false starts with it. Actually that's coding BMWs in general. So many missing bits and pieces that have to guessed at or stumbled upon. Oh well. I knew that going in. Thanks again for all of your assistance and patience!
Glad you got it working. A couple of things for others:

- I suspect most assumed that car unlocked and key in car was self-evident for anything interacting with the car; so I believe you're correct, I don't think I have ever seen anyone mention that requirement :-)

- Diagnostic Mode in G-series are 3 start button presses without touching the brake (with key in the car), not 4

- lots of good stuff here as well as in the Bimmercode App itself; this is helpful for beginner coders even on ESys: https://www.bimmercode.app/support/
      01-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #16
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the link. Maybe I am alone in this but I take things very literally with unfamiliar procedures. If it’s not said, I don’t do it. As for the number of presses. I did it several times and the three presses never did it for me. I had to get the message about putting my foot in the brake first and then do the three presses which means I already pressed the start/stop button once prior. I will experiment a few more times to get a feel for it, but that has been what I’ve seen.

Again, thank you for the tremendous resource you offer the community.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #17
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Maybe I am alone in this but I take things very literally with unfamiliar procedures. If it's not said, I don't do it. As for the number of presses. I did it several times and the three presses never did it for me. I had to get the message about putting my foot in the brake first and then do the three presses which means I already pressed the start/stop button once prior. I will experiment a few more times to get a feel for it, but that has been what I've seen.

Again, thank you for the tremendous resource you offer the community.
It's possible that your car was turned off with doors open if you had not kept the key inside from unlock throughout. In that case yes, first press turns the car on, next 3 presses gets into Diagnostic Mode. Again, self-evident assumption on all our parts that car is turned on first.

This is the issue and the reason for the advice to start slow and struggle with the chaos early. There are a lot of tiny nuances that no-one will ever document, the struggle makes all of those second nature for the later fun stuff. Exceedingly pedantic or exceedingly literal generally doesn't work well, too many moving pieces and not just in the simple steps you've done so far, so it is worth it to be ready with that "early experience".
      01-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #18
maczrool
Captain
Rep

One thing I’ve noticed this time around is the the ASS memory is more sticky now that I did it in diag mode instead of with engine running. It was only staying on so long as I didn’t mess with the drive modes at all. As soon as I did, the ASS would turn back on. Now it’s holding even when I press one of the drive mode buttons which is much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
One thing I’ve noticed this time around is the the ASS memory is more sticky now that I did it in diag mode instead of with engine running. It was only staying on so long as I didn’t mess with the drive modes at all. As soon as I did, the ASS would turn back on. Now it’s holding even when I press one of the drive mode buttons which is much better.
Hm. Is it possible you're comparing every mode vs ECO?

When you switch to ECO, no matter the ASS memory settings, ASS gets turned on (light off). Beside Sport always turning ASS off (light on), Comfort and Adaptive are really the only two modes affected by the ASS memory coding. Is this not what you are now experiencing?
      01-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #20
maczrool
Captain
Rep

I had it coded for sport plus originally. If you are saying that forces ASS off then that might explain what I was experiencing. I had thought I had coded the ASS memory but in reality it was just the sport plus forcing ASS off. When ever I put I manually put it in comfort, the light would go out but that was probably just how it behaves with no ASS memory. After going back and coding in diag mode which you indicated is required, the light stays on all the time since I don’t touch eco. It’s just way too laggy and I haven’t seen any measurable benefit over comfort from it.

So that’s it! I never really had ASS memory coded until yesterday when I really truly coded in diag mode. Thanks for straightening that out!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      01-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #21
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I had it coded for sport plus originally. If you are saying that forces ASS off then that might explain what I was experiencing. I had thought I had coded the ASS memory but in reality it was just the sport plus forcing ASS off. When ever I put I manually put it in comfort, the light would go out but that was probably just how it behaves with no ASS memory. After going back and coding in diag mode which you indicated is required, the light stays on all the time since I don’t touch eco. It’s just way too laggy and I haven’t seen any measurable benefit over comfort from it.

So that’s it! I never really had ASS memory coded until yesterday when I really truly coded in diag mode. Thanks for straightening that out!
Details, man, details :-). Multiple mysteries solved, that is nice at the end of the day :-).