BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
JonnyDangerous
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

x5 45e electric range

What are people seeing as the electric range after a full charge? i'm averaging between 35 and 42. The most common range shown after a full charge is 37 miles.

I expect it will go up in the summer but doubt it will jump to 50 as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I'm seeing 65km (40.3 m) in the morning. However when driving it drops quickly to 55 (34.1m) while I haven't driven 10km at all.

In the end I seem to get a bit more range than the initial 65km. I assume this is caused by the regenerative braking etc..
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
I'm seeing 65km (40.3 m) in the morning. However when driving it drops quickly to 55 (34.1m) while I haven't driven 10km at all.

In the end I seem to get a bit more range than the initial 65km. I assume this is caused by the regenerative braking etc..
I have about the same as Wout.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

I get typically 59km so 37mls at 100%...

My average consumption electric is 46kw/h though, which i think is huge. A model X should get around 23 according to the interwebz... that is half!
46 kwh/100km would translate in a range of 45km taking into account that only 21kwh is actually usable.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Bancroft
Private
Rep

I never saw more than 54 km with my battery fully charged in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I am between 38 and 39 KwH. In the morning I have 60-64 km. My car is parked inside and I have 19 inch wheels. I preheat and the temperatures outside are not as low as they should be for this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post

My average consumption electric is 46kw/h though, which i think is huge. A model X should get around 23 according to the interwebz... that is half!
46 kwh/100km would translate in a range of 45km taking into account that only 21kwh is actually usable.
46 is a lot indeed. Do you have 22 inch wheels ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:

46 kWh is a lot. I have 39-40ish with mine.

And yes that amount is rather high compared to Tesla. In real life the Model X has 30-35kWh, still less than BMW.

I don't like Tesla as a car. But their battery and electric motor design are marvels of engineering. None of the German manufacturers come close.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
Steve1984
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

The car indicates +/- 65km when fully charged. Managed to squeeze almost 60km out of it this morning on the way to work. The trick is mainly to keep yourself from hammering it.

Energy usage was 37kWh average and I’m on 21” wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #10
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

And yes that amount is rather high compared to Tesla. In real life the Model X has 30-35kWh, still less than BMW.

I don't like Tesla as a car. But their battery and electric motor design are marvels of engineering. None of the German manufacturers come close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I have the 20" M accessory wheels but the "summer" set with 305 rears although i did fit them with scorpion winter tires.

I do a lot of short distances in full electric mode and on the highway i mainly use the ICE.
In full electric the max power is raised from 30 to 40% on battery power and makes the car fast enough for normal use but i must admit i see the power meter at full 40% quite often when accelerating...
But in hybrid the electric acceleration is just a bit too slow for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #11
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I have the 20" M accessory wheels but the "summer" set with 305 rears although i did fit them with scorpion winter tires.

I do a lot of short distances in full electric mode and on the highway i mainly use the ICE.
In full electric the max power is raised from 30 to 40% on battery power and makes the car fast enough for normal use but i must admit i see the power meter at full 40% quite often when accelerating...
But in hybrid the electric acceleration is just a bit too slow for me.
Interesting! Are you saying that you only get the electric "boost" when in "electric" mode? And no boost in "hybrid" mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Interesting! Are you saying that you only get the electric "boost" when in "electric" mode? And no boost in "hybrid" mode?
No, sorry for being unclear, the 45e has no rev counter but a power meter in %. In hybrid driving mode the first 30% of power is delivered electrically. if you push beyond that the ICE takes over. If you go to 100% the electrical engine will add a boost.

In electric mode it is possible to use 40% of the power and the ICE will not take over unless you kickdown or put the transmission in sport.

Hope this clarifies things a bit?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, sorry for being unclear, the 45e has no rev counter but a power meter in %. In hybrid driving mode the first 30% of power is delivered electrically. if you push beyond that the ICE takes over. If you go to 100% the electrical engine will add a boost.

In electric mode it is possible to use 40% of the power and the ICE will not take over unless you kickdown or put the transmission in sport.

I still understand that when in HYBRID mode, you only get the normal max output of the electric power train, which is 30 %. Electric power equals about 113 hp and ICE about 286 hp, so max (113hp) electric output in HYBRID mode is about 30% or total (el. + ICE) 394 hp output. In this mode, you get the extra boost only after both electric motor and ICE is maxed out. But in ELECTRIC mode you get an extra boost (40hp? meaning a total of about 155 hp which equals about 40% of total 394) after the el. motor is maxed out, so before ICE turns on.

This is how I understand it. IOW, if you want to accelerate as fast as possible without turning the ICE on, use ELECTRIC mode.

Does this sound correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I still understand that when in HYBRID mode, you only get the normal max output of the electric power train, which is 30 %. Electric power equals about 113 hp and ICE about 286 hp, so max (113hp) electric output in HYBRID mode is about 30% or total (el. + ICE) 394 hp output. In this mode, you get the extra boost only after both electric motor and ICE is maxed out. But in ELECTRIC mode you get an extra boost (40hp? meaning a total of about 155 hp which equals about 40% of total 394) after the el. motor is maxed out, so before ICE turns on.

This is how I understand it. IOW, if you want to accelerate as fast as possible without turning the ICE on, use ELECTRIC mode.

Does this sound correct?
Yes you should use electric mode to do this. First because like said it goes up till 40%. Second because in electric mode it doesn't turn on the ICE as easily as in hybrid. It kind of hangs around 40% until it really feels you want more power. So if you try to accelerate faster in hybrid it will probably turn on the ICE earlier. I don't know if the % really exactly reflect the exact power as in your calculations
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:31 AM   #15
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Does this sound correct?
Yes you should use electric mode to do this. First because like said it goes up till 40%. Second because in electric mode it doesn't turn on the ICE as easily as in hybrid. It kind of hangs around 40% until it really feels you want more power. So if you try to accelerate faster in hybrid it will probably turn on the ICE earlier. I don't know if the % really exactly reflect the exact power as in your calculations
Agreed. Currently owning a BMW 330e (waiting for 45e) and I always use ELECTRIC mode to make it easier getting 100% electric power without ICE involvement.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 06:21 AM   #16
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Range is about 60km. This picture is from date of delivery until yesterday. I'm quit happy with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #17
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Wow, those are awesome values! I thought they were way off since on top it says "Values since last fill up" but at 2,8 l/100km the 69l actually does take you more than 2000km.

What is you typical use? Do you do a lot of highway?

As I said, i can't seem to get below 40kwh average, even if I am quite carefull and don't do higher speed highway traffic

In any case, at 7.1 l/100 km I still am quite happy for such a big car. Even though this is on top of 46kwh. But I have a much lower proportion on electric only than you have. I guess a chaging point at the office wouldn't hurt.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
Range is about 60km. This picture is from date of delivery until yesterday. I'm quit happy with it.
Great values. I have 4,5 l/km since last refill and emptied half of the tank on a 300 km trip on the highway in December. Didn't have to refill since.

I presume your trips are generally below 60 km and don't have a lot of highway?

Nice thinking by Peter. I wondered why my total range was going up progressively. I thought the car was taking account of my careful driving style. But of offcourse it is just multiplying the amount of fuel with the current mean consumption which lowers progressively while driving full electric all the time🤓. Probably a rapid back tot earth on the next longer highway trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #19
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Great values. I have 4,5 l/km since last refill and emptied half of the tank on a 300 km trip on the highway in December. Didn't have to refill since.

I presume your trips are generally below 60 km and don't have a lot of highway?

Nice thinking by Peter. I wondered why my total range was going up progressively. I thought the car was taking account of my careful driving style. But of offcourse it is just multiplying the amount of fuel with the current mean consumption which lowers progressively while driving full electric all the time🤓. Probably a rapid back tot earth on the next longer highway trip.
Yes , normally i drive about 60km a day with 40km of highway. Torhout to Rumbeke. And I did visit our stores in the region the last week.

Well to be honest ... the range was going from 880 when I filled up until today (i did a trip to Veurne) and the range is now 1115km. I think they calculate on previous use etc... I'm wondering when I will see 2000 km standing there :-).
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #20
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Wow, those are awesome values! I thought they were way off since on top it says "Values since last fill up" but at 2,8 l/100km the 69l actually does take you more than 2000km.

As I said, i can't seem to get below 40kwh average, even if I am quite carefull and don't do higher speed highway traffic

In any case, at 7.1 l/100 km I still am quite happy for such a big car. Even though this is on top of 46kwh. But I have a much lower proportion on electric only than you have. I guess a chaging point at the office wouldn't hurt.
Did you drive a hybride before ? I did drive an F15 40e for more then 4 years and the driving pattern changes after a while. You don't push the gaspedal until it sticks to the back on electric mode , You don't push on the brakes but use the electrical engine to regenerate , so you start "breaking" earlier. Use the adaptive cruise control etc ... You will see the numbers changing. Too bad we don't see numbers in the CD app or on the site.

Anyway the 7.1 l / 100km is what i think already very good. With the F15 i did do 7.3l in the summer and 8.6l in the winter. We only had 20km range ! And to be honest i do like sport mode also and go 2-3 times a year to germany so ...
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      01-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #21
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvd183 View Post
Quote:

Did you drive a hybride before ? I did drive an F15 40e for more then 4 years and the driving pattern changes after a while. You don't push the gaspedal until it sticks to the back on electric mode , You don't push on the brakes but use the electrical engine to regenerate , so you start "breaking" earlier. Use the adaptive cruise control etc ... You will see the numbers changing. Too bad we don't see numbers in the CD app or on the site.

Anyway the 7.1 l / 100km is what i think already very good. With the F15 i did do 7.3l in the summer and 8.6l in the winter. We only had 20km range ! And to be honest i do like sport mode also and go 2-3 times a year to germany so ...
Good point I had a same experience. I don't touch the brake pedal a lot. It brakes quite well in full electric mode just by releasing the "gas". With my 40e I had a mean of 8,5 l/100 km over 2 years.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2020, 03:52 AM   #22
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
I have seen the eBoost label turn bright blue when accelerating at some 70 % in ADAPTIVE mode and with ICE active -- I am assuming that eBoost was active then.

Overall, I think the drivetrain works wonderfully and selects the appropriate combination of ICE and electric, without any possibility to notice transitions. But it would also be nice to understand how it works in various driving modes and conditions and that has been really difficult to figure out. BMW should provide some actual technical details in the owner's manual or other documentation and not just marketing talk.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00