BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-26-2020, 01:08 AM   #1
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Hi has anybody installed wiring for a fridge direct to the battery in an X5 2019 G05. . I just completed doing it . Seems ok . Was expecting some issues with faults but nothing. Connecting the earth was a little bit tricky, had to use body earth mount for earth wire connection.
Attached Images

Last edited by Arfy; 01-26-2020 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Hi has anybody installed wiring for a fridge direct to the battery in an X5 2019 G05. . I just completed doing it . Seems ok . Was expecting some issues with faults but nothing. Connecting the earth was a little bit tricky, had to use body earth mount for earth wire connection.
How are you going to keep your battery alive?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
He won’t be answering that. He’s batteries are already dead.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Might as well order a jump pack ahead of your battery dying. Expect errors on your iDrive within 48 hours
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Popp
Finland
Rep
Drives: Looking for a BMW G30 530e

Just curious, is there not a socket to use in the trunk? What is the purpose of this?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popp View Post
Just curious, is there not a socket to use in the trunk? What is the purpose of this?
The purpose is to keep Popp cold. Sorry Popp, just couldn't resist a little American humor. I recall Nanatoa also put a fridge in her X5 and my brother in law has a Ford Flex that came with a mini fridge AND freezer from the factory that sits between the rear captains chairs and it works great! I can easily see the desire for a fridge when on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popp View Post
I agree, the outlet in the trunk should suffice. The only reason I can think of having a direct battery connection would be the current and associated fuses for that outlet in the trunk may not provide enough power for the fridge.

A simpler solution may be to just replace the fuse(s) for that outlet with a higher rated fuse. I'm assuming there's a fuse (or fuses) associated with the 12V outlets in the car.

For a short trip or maybe a day trip, you would get away with it.
If this fridge is a permanent thing, then you will kill your battery real quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The battery can last about 12 hours i would think. I had this setup in my VW Polo and when on the farm it lasted over 24hours no problem. The 12v socket in the rear is only live when the car is unlocked and cuts off when locked. I use the fridge for long distance travel in Australia to the farm (18 hours) and if i stop i need the fridge to keep running. (45deg) so will heat up really quickly.
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      02-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The battery can last about 12 hours i would think. I had this setup in my VW Polo and when on the farm it lasted over 24hours no problem. The 12v socket in the rear is only live when the car is unlocked and cuts off when locked. I use the fridge for long distance travel in Australia to the farm (18 hours) and if i stop i need the fridge to keep running. (45deg) so will heat up really quickly.
Ah so, I thought you intended to keep it running while the car was off ......113F, ouch! Still, I would not count on the battery lasting very long once the car is off but not locked. Its not a Polo by any means, its an electron hungry beast
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
Quote:
He won’t be answering that. He’s batteries are already dead.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah the outlet is sufficient to run the fridge no problem. But ii need the fridge to keep running when i stop on long drives. In country Australia the temp is often around 45deg so if i stop i need the fridge to keep running. It may only be overnight if i stop (appros 7hours). BMW guys said would be fine. No errors on idrive yet
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah so, I thought you intended to keep it running while the car was off ......113F, ouch! Still, I would not count on the battery lasting very long once the car is off but not locked. Its not a Polo by any means, its an electron hungry beast
Yeah thats true the amount of electrics is a lot more. I would not like to leave it to long . Like i said mainly when i stop for a few hours just to keep food cool. I would hesitate to leave it overnight like i use to do in the polo.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Damn. I was hoping for something more exotic like you transported donated organs for a living (in an X5) or something. 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

bad idea written all over this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #14
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

I ended up putting a redarc dual battery charger onto the battery. I have an Anderson plug off it which I can plug the fridge into. Alternatively I can plug in my spare AGM battery (which is in a removable battery box for camping) which charges whilst driving.

The benefit is if the main battery gets too low, the redarc cuts off the feed. It means my beer would get hot if parked for a while but at least the car will start.

I am also in Australia, so I know why you are doing this but I think you are being pretty brave going direct off the main battery. Especially if you end up outback with no phone reception and no ability to start your car in the morning.

Though I do concede hot beer truly sucks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:02 AM   #15
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Damn. I was hoping for something more exotic like you transported donated organs for a living (in an X5) or something. 😉
Lol. So funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:07 AM   #16
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
I ended up putting a redarc dual battery charger onto the battery. I have an Anderson plug off it which I can plug the fridge into. Alternatively I can plug in my spare AGM battery (which is in a removable battery box for camping) which charges whilst driving.

The benefit is if the main battery gets too low, the redarc cuts off the feed. It means my beer would get hot if parked for a while but at least the car will start.

I am also in Australia, so I know why you are doing this but I think you are being pretty brave going direct off the main battery. Especially if you end up outback with no phone reception and no ability to start your car in the morning.

Though I do concede hot beer truly sucks!
Hey mate u am interested in the redarc duel battery set up. Sounds more appropriate. I am worried with all the electrics on this thing the battery could be at its limit.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #17
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

If you google redarc or dual battery systems you will get a fair few systems which attach to the main battery but only charge the 2nd battery or fridge etc when there is sufficient charge on the main. Some have an ignition wire which also monitors when the ignition is running. They range from about $300 to $1000AU installed. It will go between the battery and your current circuit. I also have them install a self reset fuse on the 2nd battery side in case the wire to the 2nd battery or fridge gets pinched etc to avoid possible fires etc.

In my view it is worth it and you can always remove it and install on the next vehicle if/when you change them over.
Appreciate 1
Arfy22.00
      02-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #18
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If you google redarc or dual battery systems you will get a fair few systems which attach to the main battery but only charge the 2nd battery or fridge etc when there is sufficient charge on the main. Some have an ignition wire which also monitors when the ignition is running. They range from about $300 to $1000AU installed. It will go between the battery and your current circuit. I also have them install a self reset fuse on the 2nd battery side in case the wire to the 2nd battery or fridge gets pinched etc to avoid possible fires etc.

In my view it is worth it and you can always remove it and install on the next vehicle if/when you change them over.
Thanks mate. I will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #19
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This is a great setup. As long as you run it with that diesel motor running, you shouldn't have any problems. Sounds like it can last a while on just pure battery as well. You'd probably want to install a device that detected low battery voltage and automatically shut off the fridge if you run it like that often. I'd imagine these things are made to run as efficiently as possible, but you probably don't want to be stranded to keep your beer cool.

You should always use the car chassis to ground (earth) electrical accessories. That's just standard practice. The steel (aluminum is better) chassis of the car has more than sufficient conductivity. Also, the IBS (battery sensor) measures the current through the ground. So you wouldn't want to connect directly to battery ground terminal anyway.

Did you connect the +12V lead to the battery or did you find a spot on the fuse panel?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:38 AM   #20
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
This is a great setup. As long as you run it with that diesel motor running, you shouldn't have any problems. Sounds like it can last a while on just pure battery as well. You'd probably want to install a device that detected low battery voltage and automatically shut off the fridge if you run it like that often. I'd imagine these things are made to run as efficiently as possible, but you probably don't want to be stranded to keep your beer cool.

You should always use the car chassis to ground (earth) electrical accessories. That's just standard practice. The steel (aluminum is better) chassis of the car has more than sufficient conductivity. Also, the IBS (battery sensor) measures the current through the ground. So you wouldn't want to connect directly to battery ground terminal anyway.

Did you connect the +12V lead to the battery or did you find a spot on the fuse panel?
It have a Domatic fridge connecter wired to the battery. It has two settings
1. constantly on ( cuts out if battery level get to low)
2. Turns off when it senses no charge is going to the battery.

The wire harness is also has a fuse.

I didnt connect into an existing fuse box or outlet.
Yes earth is direct to car body ( where car battery is also mounted to body). Obviously positive to + battery. Are you suggesting this is not a good spot?????
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:21 AM   #21
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes earth is direct to car body ( where car battery is also mounted to body). Obviously positive to + battery. Are you suggesting this is not a good spot?????
Straight to car body for earth is a good spot.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 01:52 AM   #22
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Straight to car body for earth is a good spot.
Ok. I am also considering a Redarc charger and second battery. But cannot really see the benefit for what i need. Quite an expensive setup. But would be able to leave fridge on overnight and can also connect a solar panel to it. But getting serious with this setup.
Appreciate 0