BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

X5 45e Issues 3 months down the road

I have my X5 45e for 3 months now and it keeps acting up more and more...

1/ Remote3D and DriveRecorder no longer working at all. Previously it worked after doing a reboot.
2/ Every few days I have to hold my key against steering column as it lost connection (?)
3/ The light settings jump every now and then to the default blue
4/ settings for 2nd speed option for self-driving option disappear every few days (and resulted in traffic fines! )
5/ Home address in GPS lost twice already (just disappeared)
6/ Glass roof cover closes itself whenever it feels like
7/ Steering heater is on even if button says it's off...

No issues when I got the car but the list seems to get longer every week.

Anyone else from the early ones seeing similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post

1/ Remote3D and DriveRecorder no longer working at all. Previously it worked after doing a reboot.
2/ Every few days I have to hold my key against steering column as it lost connection (?)
4/ settings for 2nd speed option for self-driving option disappear every few days (and resulted in traffic fines! )

That's very annoying. Those are not minor issues. Up till now I didn't see these problems. But I only have it for 4 weeks. Things I saw is the app and remote view not always working. I have tried the recorder once and it worked. I hope they find a solution for you.

I think my steering wheel heating turns on with my seats if I put it on automatic. It does turn on with pre heating and if it doesn't show indeed.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

What is BMW saying? Did you take it to the dealer as soon as the first problem occurred?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
What is BMW saying? Did you take it to the dealer as soon as the first problem occurred?
In a couple of weeks, they will take the car for inspection.

As more and more people are getting their X5 45e, I was wondering if what I experience is isolated or something other drivers are experiencing too.

Another issue that I forgot on the list: comfort access works randomly in opening the car. More and more do I have to press the key button to open the car. Where is the comfort in that?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I don't get all these problems. How old is the G05 model, 2 years?
For me this are general G05 problems and not 45e problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Sorry to seem to have suffered with gremlins, to say the least. My only real issue has been the sunroof. The cover only opens or closes when the button is held and the glass only opens a fraction of a centimetre. The dealer did a software flash to 11/2019.40 which "fixed" the issue, but it happened again a week ago, but resolved itself this morning. Will keep an eye on things.

I don't have the driver aids or heated wheel though
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
chrisvd183
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive45e

Quote:

Another issue that I forgot on the list: comfort access works randomly in opening the car. More and more do I have to press the key button to open the car. Where is the comfort in that?
Comfort access has its own mind . For me its especially when the trunk is closing the car doesn't lock when running away. And when there is a trailer connected the trunk can still open by the sensor very dangerous because i was disconnecting the trailer ....
I did see that when your cell phone is in the area of the key it doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Having read this forum for several months before taking delivery of my car I was afraid of issues with the car and have been paying close attention to any abnormalities. The only things for me have been 1) small wrinkles in the rear seats, 2) one extra entry of home address and 3) comfor access and soft close slowness.

I consider this 'no issues'. Your situation is not normal and hopefully gets sorted out!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:32 AM   #9
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:

Concerning nr1.
I had a bunch of issues with Carplay, 3Dview and Drive Recorder.
After calling with people from connected drive they told me that I had to upgrade first to the 'November software release'.

Made an appointment with garage a few weeks ago, they upgraded the car to the 11/2019.40 release. After that, I had to call back the Connected Drive helpdesk and they resetted the apps remotely.

All these work now. Haven't used 3D view in a while though. Will test it again this evening.

Never had any of the issues you mentioned in 2,3,5,7.

Last edited by W0ut; 01-28-2020 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

If November upgrade would fix a bunch of them then that would be awesome.

BUT what is the purpose of OTA when nothing has happened for a firmware released in November? 3 months ago!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #11
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Seems to me the OP's problem isn't software -- sounds like an electrical glitch on the main rail, making the car reset itself. Could be related to that problem with the water ingress in the roof antenna... AndroidRobot had similar bizarre, unrelated intermittent glitches.
      01-29-2020, 02:12 AM   #12
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Had one disconnect with Apple Carplay which annoyed me, updated my iPhone and tried some tips and tricks that I found online and it magically came back.

Spotify app can do strange things sometimes, putting the next song on pause, that's something I've noticed lately which annoys me but that's it for the time being.

No other issues detected.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
Jafayz
Private
Rep
Drives: X45E

I have mine (hybrid) for 5 weeks now. Only problem i have experienced is the Spotify app which i always had to reconnect (is it normal?) . I now use Spotify via CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Spotify and BMW is a hate-hate relationship. I gave up. If it worked and worked reliably, it would be sliced bread.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
This is first car I've owned that I can use CarPlay. Had difficulty setting up initially (it was turned off on my phone) but quickly decided I didn't like it. I know most on this forum love it. Please explain what I'm missing here.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #16
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafayz View Post
I have mine (hybrid) for 5 weeks now. Only problem i have experienced is the Spotify app which i always had to reconnect (is it normal?) . I now use Spotify via CarPlay
Yes it is a Spotify issue. Spotify doesn't like when you have it in your car (iDrive) and CarPlay.

Solution for me was to remove it in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #17
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Seems to me the OP's problem isn't software -- sounds like an electrical glitch on the main rail, making the car reset itself. Could be related to that problem with the water ingress in the roof antenna... AndroidRobot had similar bizarre, unrelated intermittent glitches.
Interesting point. It's now with the dealer. They think that an iDrive upgrade would solve it but I am hesitant.

Found out (nearly the hard way) that the emergency brake system does not work.

Also had now issues of the car rear cameras being switched on and any other button becomes unresponsive. Only solution is to stop the car, engine shutdown and restart the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:

I experienced 3 and a variation on 6.

Concerning 7, I did notice if you precondition the car it turns on the steerting wheel heater by itsself. If you then press the button it shuts off without any message in the instrument cluster. But I do suppose this is as built rather than a glitch.

I have other glitches though.
For instance, if I lower my suspension before getting out, then get out and the car closes, it randomly goes back to the driving height.

Also, if i cosult the ex factory efficiency statistics, it suddenly gives a much lower electricity only distance than before.

My function key assignment once lost one assigned function. (although once i can live with to be honest.)

As per 6, my roof needed a replacement part in the shop to operate properly. Was initialised 3 times but kept refusing to work properly.

Anyway. waaaaay to many glitches for a premium car with a premium price in my opinion. (but I still love driving it )
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #19
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

#4 - suuuuuuuuure blame it on the car lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
#4 - suuuuuuuuure blame it on the car lol.
You've got to blame it one someone :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

I got my car back. The dealer service was top.

They did upgrade iDrive to the November release, recalibrate sensors, upgrade camera firmware and recalibrate it.

One surprising fact that I've noticed is that with the upgrade my estimated electric range went up from 54km to 65km.

The agenda all the sudden seems to work too whereby the car suggest to start navigation to my next appointment as soon as I get in the car. Nice.

The key issue could not be solved and I need to keep on monitoring it.

There is a known issue with Comfort access that it has a so called dead-zone. An area where it does not work. Guess what? Forward parking and moving away from your car from behind will put you in the dead zone. Apparently the next firmware update 03 (due end of this month) should address this.

The emergency stop is still not fixed in my honest opinion. I use the adaptive cruise control all the time. Often when a car is stopped at a traffic light, it detects the stopped car too late resulting in it being unable to brake in time (insufficient braking sent to the car), alarm goes off (red car icon) and then I have to do emergency braking to avoid rear ending car in front of me.

Last edited by ikke123; 02-19-2020 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #22
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
ikke123 I used to have that emergency braking 'too late' with the July version, but the November one is a LOT better, they clearly worked a lot on that feature, it's much more 'natural' about managing the distance with the car in front...

The comfort access is just buggy. I don't think they think abotu that stuff at all. For example, if I walk away from the car and /explicitely/ click the 'unlock' button (because I want to keep the car on while I open my gate for example!!) it'lljust ignore that and close the car down anyway. How stupid is that.
There are many scenario wheren comfort access is just completely buggy, or actually makes things harder for the owner instead of simpler!