BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2023, 07:51 PM   #1
crazy4bmwag
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

drivetrain malfunction 2023 x5 45e

My brand new 2023 x5 45 e not even 100 miles gave malfunction error in a grocery store parking lot while driving back home. I called road side and they saw the Malfunction error as well and scheduled towing guy and after I restarted the I drive and put in sport mode .. and few restarts .. after 20 mins .. it started normally.. but in middle of another store and didn’t switch off the car and went home.
What might be the issue? Should I contact the dealer? I did Binmer code .. but never touched auto stop feature .. but malfunction error came for auto stop future for solid 20-30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #2
hpatel567
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xDrive & 2023 X5 4

What did the dealer say?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 04:33 PM   #3
crazy4bmwag
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Got update today from dealer that they reached out to bmw and as suggested they are resetting the battery and needs to sit over night and restest tomorrow and they found some inconclusive battery faults in the diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 09:21 PM   #4
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

I think you conveyed to me already you called BMWNA and got an Executive level representative. If you haven't done that - do that right away. At the very least they will call your local BMW dealer and have them send all the paperwork and faults to them so they can look over their shoulder and make sure all the right things are being done.

for all reading this - a drivetrain malfunction is usually a pretty serious fault and needs immediate attention - even though you might be able to drive the car in ICE mode only. With this error, I always always recommend calling the BMWNA line immediately and push up to Exec level rep because this could be a big problem. Mine took 101 days to fix, and they took my car back and reimbursed me along w/ incentives to keep me in a BMW (of course this is cheaper than declaring the car a lemon and suing them in court)
good luck

Last edited by leightos; 03-29-2023 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
hfmdd68
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 45e M

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
I think you conveyed to me already you called BMWNA and got an Executive level representative. If you haven't done that - do that right away. At the very least they will call your local BMW dealer and have them send all the paperwork and faults to them so they can look over their shoulder and make sure all the right things are being done.

for all reading this - a drivetrain malfunction is usually a pretty serious fault and needs immediate attention - even though you might be able to drive the car in ICE mode only. With this error, I always always recommend calling the BMWNA line immediately and push up to Exec level rep because this could be a big problem. Mine took 101 days to fix, and they took my car back and reimbursed me along w/ incentives to keep me in a BMW (of course this is cheaper than declaring the car a lemon and suing them in court)
good luck
Picked up my '23 45e in Feb and after 1100 miles got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction and power supply error. Had to get it towed to dealer (heating/cooling deactivated, car shakes, barely any power to drive, luckily the worst of it happened on surface streets near home). Been about a day and still running diagnostics. Called BMWNA and say I need to wait for final diagnoses before escalations can be made. They did say because it's a brand new car that they need to have "BMW engineers" look at it - not sure what that means. No loaners available and almost no cars on their contracted rental lot. First time BMW owner, and this leaves a bad taste with a brand new build/car, but hoping for the best and appreciate the few posts on the topic. Will report back with what they find.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
hfmdd68
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 45e M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmdd68 View Post
Picked up my '23 45e in Feb and after 1100 miles got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction and power supply error. Had to get it towed to dealer (heating/cooling deactivated, car shakes, barely any power to drive, luckily the worst of it happened on surface streets near home). Been about a day and still running diagnostics. Called BMWNA and say I need to wait for final diagnoses before escalations can be made. They did say because it's a brand new car that they need to have "BMW engineers" look at it - not sure what that means. No loaners available and almost no cars on their contracted rental lot. First time BMW owner, and this leaves a bad taste with a brand new build/car, but hoping for the best and appreciate the few posts on the topic. Will report back with what they find.
Update: High voltage battery cell defective. Still waiting on the part from BMW. Computer also being replaced. Delays include need for 1 E-Master Certified Technician and battery cell supply.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:26 AM   #7
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Update: High voltage battery cell defective. Still waiting on the part from BMW. Computer also being replaced. Delays include need for 1 E-Master Certified Technician and battery cell supply.
For some strange reason, BMW does not expedite shipping for parts from Germany. You can ask BMW for compensation though since the vehicle is out of service.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #8
roomesrco
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4bmwag View Post
My brand new 2023 x5 45 e not even 100 miles gave malfunction error in a grocery store parking lot while driving back home. I called road side and they saw the Malfunction error as well and scheduled towing guy and after I restarted the I drive and put in sport mode .. and few restarts .. after 20 mins .. it started normally.. but in middle of another store and didn’t switch off the car and went home.
What might be the issue? Should I contact the dealer? I did Binmer code .. but never touched auto stop feature .. but malfunction error came for auto stop future for solid 20-30 mins.
That is Crazy. What did the dealers say when you went back with it. I have had mine for almost 3 months now and zero issues
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:01 AM   #9
roomesrco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post

good luck
Sincere appreciation for this information. I will keep this in mind. If we could tag this as a "sticky" that would be great
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:03 AM   #10
roomesrco
Rep

Quote:
Hey Bro,
Anything further on your Car?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 02:20 AM   #11
DCDEFAN
2022 BMW X5 45e
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5-45e M Sport

Garage List
Hi all,

I have a few concerns and questions:

My 2023 45e drivetrain warning light came on while driving on my commute to work which is quite a distance. The vehicle has 8500niles. I hadn’t noticed misfiring or any other issues. The light was off when driving home, but then came back on after the long drive.
From what I read online I’m noticing this has been an issue since at least 2021 (with out PHEV) with more complaints involving the PHEV. Is there any solid information the cause and are there works for a recall?

Next few questions, what are the recommended steps to handle the situation? Should I call the help line and file a complaint to have on record? should I file a complaint with NHTSA for their records? Honestly, first time owning a BMW (typically own Lexus), having a warning light involving the drivetrain on a car less than a year old is a major concern of mine involving the quality of the build and materials BMW is using.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you, and happy driving! -B
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:02 PM   #12
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

My daughter sent me a message saying she received a pop up message regarding drivetrain malfunction. Her car is a '22 model. Any other issues recently.
      02-04-2024, 08:48 AM   #13
Cuba_ARod
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

2023 40i with 15k miles with no issues. Scared about what will happen after warranty is up now. Seems like a wide spread issue from reading the forums…
Appreciate 0