03-23-2024, 08:21 PM   #1
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Car not using side mirror turn signal

Hi everyone,

I have noticed something interesting, my 2021 40i side mirrors turn signals don’t turn on when I’m pressing the stalks.
The LED’s definitely work because they blink when I’m locking the car but not when turning on the hazard or the turn signals.

I don’t know if it was coded like this in the factory but if anyone has any ideas let me know!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:12 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
never heard of this before. something's wrong given both sides don't blink when activating the stalk. get it checked out
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:58 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just to verify…you’re not referring to the blind spot warning arrow integrated into the mirror glass as your turn signal LEDs, right? The turn signal is incorporated into the back side of mirror housing…so when you’re inside the vehicle…the turn indicator LED on the side mirror housing is not that visible since it’s facing away from the those inside the cabin.

#2 is the blind spot warning arrow:

#2 is the turn indicator:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-24-2024 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
JA-0628.00
      03-24-2024, 10:15 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just to verify…you’re not referring to the blind spot warning arrow integrated into the mirror glass as your turn signal LEDs, right? The turn signal is incorporated into the back side of mirror housing…so when you’re inside the vehicle…the turn indicator LED on the side mirror housing is not that visible since it’s facing away from the those inside the cabin.
he mentioned the side mirror LEDs blink when he locks the vehicle, so he’s referring to the correct ones, not the blind spot triangles on the mirrors since those have nothing to do with visual locking/unlocking confirmation
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:59 AM   #5
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

#2 is the blind spot warning arrow:

#2 is the turn indicator:
No I’m not referring to the blind spot warning but truly the turn signal and thanks for checking!
I’m gonna make an update with pictures so it might be easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:07 AM   #6
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update!

After gently smashing the left mirror I got the LED to work, but nothing for the right one…. I’m noticing a lot of condensation in both LED’s, not as much as in the headlights but still. Could it have cause the LED to burn out? I’m gonna set up an appointment to have them fixed. It’s probably just bad luck to have one with such poor lifetime…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:04 PM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA-06 View Post
Update!

After gently smashing the left mirror I got the LED to work, but nothing for the right one…. I’m noticing a lot of condensation in both LED’s, not as much as in the headlights but still. Could it have cause the LED to burn out? I’m gonna set up an appointment to have them fixed. It’s probably just bad luck to have one with such poor lifetime…
"smashing"? How did you do the smashing? In any event if smashing worked, you can do a test.. .. try leaving your car out on a sunny day or using a hair dryer to warm the inside of the mirror and evaporate the condensation and see if that, at least, gives you a temp solution. Place the hair dryer on medium heat and point it in the air space between the glass mirror and the housing. Since this can take a while, you might want to somehow afix it to a camera tripod, ladder, etc so you don't have to hold it. Keep around 6" of distance to the mirror so as not to melt or deform plastic.
If you prefer to leave it as is so the dealer can verify the failure, that's fine too.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-24-2024, 12:54 PM   #8
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
"smashing"? How did you do the smashing? In any event if smashing worked, you can do a test.. .. try leaving your car out on a sunny day or using a hair dryer to warm the inside of the mirror and evaporate the condensation and see if that, at least, gives you a temp solution. Place the hair dryer on medium heat and point it in the air space between the glass mirror and the housing. Since this can take a while, you might want to somehow afix it to a camera tripod, ladder, etc so you don't have to hold it. Keep around 6" of distance to the mirror so as not to melt or deform plastic.
If you prefer to leave it as is so the dealer can verify the failure, that's fine too.
I tapped the back of the mirror increasing the force on each tap where the LED strip is with the warning lights on and it suddenly came back on lol. I thought about the heat dryer but I think it’s a bit too much of a pain just for it to stop working again the next rain. I made an appointment and hopefully get a proper fix. I would believe this goes under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:00 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I tapped the back of the mirror increasing the force on each tap where the LED strip is with the warning lights on and it suddenly came back on lol. I thought about the heat dryer but I think it’s a bit too much of a pain just for it to stop working again the next rain. I made an appointment and hopefully get a proper fix. I would believe this goes under warranty?
yes, under warranty

take a video to show the actual sequence of the issue in the off-chance they both start working again
Appreciate 2
JA-0628.00
volodp196.50
      03-24-2024, 03:06 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would also think warranty. The "test" was to see if it points towards condensation. If so, there should be a leak somewhere that allows water vapor to get into where it shouldn't but...you mentioned that those lights light up fine when locking the car so I'm thinking a connector and the associated pin(s) are suspect. Have the mirrors ever been disconnected? Anyway, let us know what your dealer does to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 05:38 PM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

More likely is a connector that is not fully seated, but still, that’s something the warranty is designed to address.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 05:23 PM   #12
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Yeah, I would also think warranty. The "test" was to see if it points towards condensation. If so, there should be a leak somewhere that allows water vapor to get into where it shouldn't but...you mentioned that those lights light up fine when locking the car so I'm thinking a connector and the associated pin(s) are suspect. Have the mirrors ever been disconnected? Anyway, let us know what your dealer does to fix it.
They haven’t found much as everything looks good on their sides. The led strips might have had a defect but nothing they could see. Both are gonna be replaced warranty and hope it was not something else that caused the faults. Wish I had a better answer for what exactly happened
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 07:31 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They haven’t found much as everything looks good on their sides. The led strips might have had a defect but nothing they could see. Both are gonna be replaced warranty and hope it was not something else that caused the faults. Wish I had a better answer for what exactly happened
Sometimes the answer isn't what we want but it's still the answer Time will tell, right? So what convinced them to replace them under warranty? The pix that you took?
Appreciate 1
JA-0628.00
      04-03-2024, 08:55 AM   #14
eMeF
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5

I have noticed that on the following video, right at the beginning when the hazard lights are on and then at 3:07
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:10 AM   #15
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It might have been a good thing I wasn’t able to make the right one to work. At least they were able to see on their own it isn’t working. They were looking for physical damages to it at first but couldn’t find anything. Then, they saw the fault also appear on the computer so that’s why they are going for warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:12 AM   #16
JA-06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeF View Post
I have noticed that on the following video, right at the beginning when the hazard lights are on and then at 3:07
https://youtu.be/nuBjOhGYXvk?si=fpsXdpa53JHXfqkR
Interesting the led on the side mirror doesn’t shine as bright as the front ones. (They do on mine…)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 12:09 AM   #17
eMeF
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5

I don't see them flashing at all on the video. I thought they might be pointing towards the side but I saw a different video where the flashing is clearly visible from the front.
Appreciate 0