BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2023, 03:33 AM   #133
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylast View Post
So, I was in your camp until this morning. I'm in my driveway & turned off the BMW. I'm expecting the park to auto engage as it always does. I take my foot off the brake & am about to open the door & I feel the BMW rolling backwards and I see the screen state that I'm in neutral. I'm absolutely positive I turned off BMW as I had to turn it back on to put it in drive & move back to my spot.

This was the first time this has happened. I guess I'm going to have to re-train & ensure I see the "P" before exiting.

BMW needs to look into this!
So you didn't fiddle with the gear lever at all and just turned the car off either in D or R? That would be the first time I've heard about this happening with around 500.000km (300.000m) of experience with the ZF 8HP in BMW's myself, and a lot more by friends. If this was indeed the case then this is not normal/intended operation and should be looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 06:40 PM   #134
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

I wonder if some folks don't realize that you don't need to push the shift lever button to shift from Drive to Neutral. So it's possible to accidentally push the lever to Neutral before shutting off the engine. Though there is a chime and message reminder that the car is in Neutral and may roll...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 01:54 AM   #135
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Honestly it doesn't make sense either way. Even IF you were to try to shift to "P" before turning off the engine the "P" is not part of the R-N-D-S shifting logic. "P" is a separate button and even though it is located on the lever (for pre-LCI) even if you were to inadvertently move the lever while trying to press the "P" button nothing would happen since you also have to hold the "unlock" button on the thumb-side of the lever to be able to change drive modes.

And there is a constant chime if you select "N" and open the door and if you turn off the engine I'm pretty confident it shifts into "P" automatically, even if "N" is selected, as I remember having to roll around my car in "N" for the car lift with the engine running because otherwise it would shift to "P" as soon as I turn off the engine. This of course while the constant chime is annoying me. (Talking about F01 & F10 here but I wouldn't expect this logic to have changed.)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 02:08 AM   #136
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
Honestly it doesn't make sense either way. Even IF you were to try to shift to "P" before turning off the engine the "P" is not part of the R-N-D-S shifting logic. "P" is a separate button and even though it is located on the lever (for pre-LCI) even if you were to inadvertently move the lever while trying to press the "P" button nothing would happen since you also have to hold the "unlock" button on the thumb-side of the lever to be able to change drive modes.

And there is a constant chime if you select "N" and open the door and if you turn off the engine I'm pretty confident it shifts into "P" automatically, even if "N" is selected, as I remember having to roll around my car in "N" for the car lift with the engine running because otherwise it would shift to "P" as soon as I turn off the engine. This of course while the constant chime is annoying me. (Talking about F01 & F10 here but I wouldn't expect this logic to have changed.)
First, shifting front D to N does NOT require you to hold the shift button on the side. Second, if car is in N, turning off the car does NOT automatically put it in P. Tested both myself. If the car is in N, and you turn off the car, there is one warming chimp, not a constant chimp. This warming chimp can easily mistake as the normal car off sound. However unlikely this is, it has happened to me multiple times in 9 months of ownership. How and why, I really don’t know. If I knew, it wouldn’t have happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 06:39 AM   #137
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
First, shifting front D to N does NOT require you to hold the shift button on the side. Second, if car is in N, turning off the car does NOT automatically put it in P. Tested both myself. If the car is in N, and you turn off the car, there is one warming chimp, not a constant chimp. This warming chimp can easily mistake as the normal car off sound. However unlikely this is, it has happened to me multiple times in 9 months of ownership. How and why, I really don’t know. If I knew, it wouldn’t have happen.
Exactly. With the glass shifter, if you miss the P button and push the shifter lever instead, the same amount of pressure that would put it into park puts it into N. Same movement, same force, virtually the same tactile feedback. When you open the door, you get one chime -- the same as for other error or warning states. And the message you get on the dash can be small and vanish if you have a second warning condition. Bottom line, the car makes shifting into P and N too similar, and doesn't do enough to warn the driver if the door opens with the car in N and no brake set.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 10:03 AM   #138
Gadgetluva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Its because of this thread that I now engage me parking brake everyone I exit my vehicle, which I haven’t done since my last manual car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #139
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
it’s because of my first car being a manual that I continue to engage the parking brake every time regardless of transmission type. I’ve placed my X5 in Park without the parking brake a few times on my level driveway because I forgot something in the house, and I always make sure it doesn’t move any more than that little bit of roll it does before I walk away. still, that little movement always gives me pause
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 12:32 PM   #140
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

I recall someone on the FB forum having this same incident recently, where the wife parked the car, and then after exiting it somehow rolled and hit the car that was parked in front or behind.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 11:36 AM   #141
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I pulled into my garage over the weekend and pressed "P" but I guess I didn't press hard enough and the car started moving forward. Luckily, I noticed right away and hit the brakes but since the gas motor is off it's hard to know if you shifted into Park (i.e. you can't feel or hear the motor losing the load from being in drive). I wish there was an audible note letting you know that the car was put into Park.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 12:57 PM   #142
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I pulled into my garage over the weekend and pressed "P" but I guess I didn't press hard enough and the car started moving forward. Luckily, I noticed right away and hit the brakes but since the gas motor is off it's hard to know if you shifted into Park (i.e. you can't feel or hear the motor losing the load from being in drive). I wish there was an audible note letting you know that the car was put into Park.
but there’s never been any audible indication that the vehicle is in PARK, or any other gear for that matter, even before electronic shifters. I think relying on an audible note takes away from what is ultimately our responsibility. it also opens the door to liability if it chimes but the actual parking mechanism fails and causes injury/damage.

being in anesthesia, we have alarms while monitoring our patients, but it’s vigilant to monitor and confirm status before an incident causes an alarm. I practice the same when operating a vehicle
Appreciate 1
arRod1981912.00
      04-27-2023, 01:41 PM   #143
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
but there’s never been any audible indication that the vehicle is in PARK, or any other gear for that matter, even before electronic shifters. I think relying on an audible note takes away from what is ultimately our responsibility. it also opens the door to liability if it chimes but the actual parking mechanism fails and causes injury/damage.

being in anesthesia, we have alarms while monitoring our patients, but it’s vigilant to monitor and confirm status before an incident causes an alarm. I practice the same when operating a vehicle
This is my first car with any electric drivetrain. It’s either the tiny park button or the fact that it’s hard to tell when the car goes into park without looking at the dash that leads to these mistakes. I’ve actually done the same thing twice on this car in the garage. I need to be more vigilant now but I’ve never had an issue like this in my 25 years of driving. It’s not the car’s fault but if there was an option to have any audible signal when putting it into park it would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:32 PM   #144
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If there's anything cars need less of it's beeps. People need driver nannies for everything I suppose.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4652.00
volodp196.50
      05-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #145
2heeldrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

In every (automatic) car I have driven, pushing the gear shifter all the way forward puts the car in park. No so, in a BMW. Push it forward and the car is in neutral. Turn the car off and it will roll away. A very bad design, IMHO. It is backwards. Park should be a forward push and neutral should be a button.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:33 PM   #146
Stunning_Turnover649
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
some habits are hard to brake (pun intended lol) whether or not one regularly used the parking brake, but it’s also about accepting and adjusting to change if safety is a priority to you.

During college, faced with difficulties in writing essays in the humanities, I utilized various resources such as https://essays.edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-service attended courses, and sought guidance from instructors to improve my skills. Despite initial challenges, diligent work yielded successful outcomes, and I successfully completed college.my first vehicle out of college was a manual with a hand parking brake, but I’ve driven many vehicles and rentals with the foot parking brake as well. then when the electronic parking brake started making its way, I took note and learned because in my mind, engaging the parking brake when parking is a must as far as safety goes. all vehicles have one, so it must have an important role.

off the top of my head, I can’t think of any scenario where engaging the parking brake when parking is detrimental. anyone? sadly, when we least expect an incident to occur, we let our guard down. “oh, I’ll only be 30 seconds.” (not putting any blame on the OP’s wife, of course)
Well, there's a good chance the car's system logged what went down at that time. It might be worth reaching out to the dealership to shed some light on this. In today's cars, that kind of functionality isn't uncommon, so the dealer could probably dig up some answers. You know, modern vehicles are all about pushing the boundaries of functionality and tech advancement.

Last edited by Stunning_Turnover649; 03-28-2024 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: corrected the sentence
Appreciate 0