BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-29-2024, 04:13 PM   #1
G05heets
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive 40i

Intermittent Slow and Occasional No Start

I have a 2019 X5 40i with 65k miles

The other evening I came to a stoplight and the engine turned off (auto start/stop) and when I released my foot off the brake it did not start. I put it in park and tried a couple more times before getting a "Starting engine possible shortly; System overheated. Re-starting engine possible after cooling." Ended up having to get it towed home (and dealt with the frustration of it not going into neutral)

I have ISTA and plugged it in when I got home to get the following codes:
216112 - Pinion starter, component protection function: Critical threshold value actuation duration reached
216113 - Pinion starter, component protection function: Warning threshold value actuation duration reached
216115 - Attempt to start the engine with blocked starter detected
21611A - Attempt to start the engine at excessive counter-torque in the drivetrain detected
21A511 - Start system: Timeout

I put it on a charger overnight - came out the next morning and it started right up, left it on the charger, and a couple of hours later it started, but the initial turns of the starter were very sluggish (i have been having this happen on and off for about a month). I load tested the battery in the trunk and it checked out as it is only 5 months old. The alternator is working - putting out about 14.6 volts while running.

I am unsure how to test the 12v lithium battery in the engine compartment, but from what I have read on other forums it seems the car will tell me when that has failed.

I am going to try and take the starter off and see if there are any obvious issues, but the fact that it starts just fine most of the time makes me believe this may not be the issue.

Has anyone had a similar problem and gone through steps to try and troubleshoot? Any help is much appreciated as I am now worried it is going to leave me stranded
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:35 AM   #2
eddyx511
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x

2019 bmw x5

I got the same issue with the exception that it was just parked at work and the battery is at 12.9. and even with a booster it wont crank. interested to see if yours is the starter or just a fuse or relay.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 09:47 AM   #3
G05heets
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive 40i

2 days ago I replaced the starter. It has yet to be sluggish and overall sounds much stronger and starts much faster. I am about 99% sure that was my issue, but if i starts happening again I will update the thread
Appreciate 1
mmm50i403.50
      03-26-2024, 02:58 PM   #4
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Good reason to code ASS off all the time. That's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:47 PM   #5
bloom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: none

My 2019 40i had the starter replaced last year, same problem, slow crank and eventually the car would randomly leave me stranded. This problem is becoming popular. It’s not a battery issue. I thought mine was dying too.

Dealer replaced starter and all ok. I bought bimmercode and removed auto stop/start directly after this service. I don’t have a warranty to fix this next time.
Appreciate 0