01-16-2024, 09:10 AM   #155
TN2SC2020
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3, 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
VW still makes (or made) the Touareg for other markets. Just not the US, where Atlas was designed for.

Touareg was always an odd one to me - it was too nice for VW's market share in the US, yet somehow they still sold a bunch of them to people who probably could have gone Audi but didn't want the luxury car stigma.

Atlas is a decent vehicle overall... But not class leading in any way. The VR6 models.get full size SUV fuel economy while being smaller and slower. I guess on the plus side, the VR6 is a common, should be reliable motor that sounds good. But yeah, Atlas isn't as "could be sold as a luxury car" like the original Treg and the Phaeton at the time were.
Yeah, you can still get the Touareg in Europe and not sure what other markets. I actually had two over the years - a 2008 V8 and a 2012 V6 supercharged Hybrid. I loved those vehicles, especially the Hybrid. The Hybrid was a beautiful, luxurious beast. It came standard with some things you have to pay extra for with BMW (heated steering wheel for one thing). Its 0-60 was a fairly respectable 5.8 seconds too. I parted ways with it only because it had started burning oil after 11 years of miles and miles of trouble-free driving. I've never been sadder to say bye to a vehicle.

With all that being said, I now don't really miss it. I love my X5 M60i!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 09:30 AM   #156
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
The V8 Touareg and the V10 TDI both were vehicles I wanted to love. But man do they terrify me from an ownership perspective lol. The V10 has some components that need replaced with the motor out, but apparently the body has to come off to get the motor out and there's some crazy ass gantry thing used to do it, lol.
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020153.50
      01-16-2024, 10:05 AM   #157
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The V8 Touareg and the V10 TDI both were vehicles I wanted to love. But man do they terrify me from an ownership perspective lol. The V10 has some components that need replaced with the motor out, but apparently the body has to come off to get the motor out and there's some crazy ass gantry thing used to do it, lol.
That's what everyone says but it's not quite that big of a deal. The body needs to come off, but only because unless you want to remove a lot of other parts, the engine needs to be removed from the bottom of the car. The easiest way to do that is by supporting the bottom of the engine and lifting the rest of the car out of the way.

Here's a video of a friend doing this to his 200k mile V10:

01-16-2024, 11:01 AM   #158
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
That's what everyone says but it's not quite that big of a deal. The body needs to come off, but only because unless you want to remove a lot of other parts, the engine needs to be removed from the bottom of the car. The easiest way to do that is by supporting the bottom of the engine and lifting the rest of the car out of the way.

Here's a video of a friend doing this to his 200k mile V10:

I'm not sure if I'm more.impressed by his work, or horrified by that, haha.

I always wanted an R50 (not that they ever came to the US). Amazing that now you can beat that in power and efficiency with just a gas V8.
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020153.50
      01-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #159
PacShakur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolts1010 View Post
Wanted to give a quick run down of my short 5 months of ownership of a 2024 X5 M60i. Ultimately I sold it this weekend and I have to say I don't regret it at all. I bought it thinking it would be a great blend of performance and practicality, but at the end of the day there were far too many annoyances to make me really love the car.

The good: I loved the looks, the comfort, the power (mine was tuned) and the overall handling (other than lift off over-steer which was a bit unnerving)

The bad: To make a long story short, the complete lack of exhaust note was disappointing, the Idrive system was confusing and difficult to use (for me) and the start/stop system drove me nuts. The ventilated seats were also stupid (I live in FL) and for a relatively large SUV, there's absolutely nowhere to put anything other than in the cup holder. The brakes also warped and shuddered badly with only 3k miles on it. I bought the car thinking it would be my send off to the V8, but it didn't really feel like a car with a V8. If I were to do it again, i'd get a regular 40i and modify it.

In the end, it was less about me not liking the X5 and more about me not being able to justify having a 100k dollar car that I didn't truly love. I was hoping it would make me feel like my 07 335i did back in the day and it just didn't do it for me. Not trying to offend anyone, just truly wanted to share my feedback! I still love BMWs and the brand.

Welcome any comments/questions!
Bye bye!
Appreciate 1
TN2SC2020153.50