BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #1
mjchernis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Two digital keys with one profile

Just got a new X5 and love being able to use it with the digital wallet key on my iPhone. Was very excited to learn that you can ALSO add a digital key for it in my Apple Watch digital wallet.

The problem I am having is that about half the time it recognizes my watch key before the phone key and logs me in with the Guest profile instead of my primary profile. It does not appear I can link BOTH the watch AND my phone keys to the same car profile. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Go your BMW ID in the car and under settings, there should be something like “automatic driver recognition”. Under there, it should list all the phone keys used with the vehicle; make sure your apple watch key is checked.

I’ve linked two different phones with my profile and they log into my profile just fine. I’m on ID8 so it might differ if you’re on ID7.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
mjchernis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Appreciate the response. I'm on ID8 as well and automatic driver recognition is enabled. I played around with it a bit more this afternoon. I can link EITHER the watch or the phone to the profile and recognition works but not both. Once the of them is linked it will only allow me to link the 2nd device to a different profile.

How many profiles do you have on the car? I only have one PLUS guest.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

(Pictures below)
So I just went to my car and checked. I can have two phones and a phycal card as keys to my profile. One is iPhone and the other is my android phone (the one with the gmail address).

Maybe iPhone and apple watch are treated as one key and that’s why you’re able to select only one? My Apple Watch wasn’t charged so I couldn’t test with that.

To answer your other question - I have two profiles (my wife’s and mine) and the guest profile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0