BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #23
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
if a $1000 rebate is the breaking point or a big issue then maybe don't buy one? I get it, they did something rather shady (BMW NA) but I'd expect nothing less, even so I'm still a BMWCCA member and enjoy the brand as a whole. I got my membership a while before this BMW. I know a lot of people are doing what you're describing so maybe BMW is catching on or trying to get member count up. Either way I get being annoyed but not much can be done unfortunately.
I was going to post something similar to $1,000 shouldn't sway your purchasing decision.

Are there other loyalty programs out there for Audi, Porsche, etc...? I was under the impression that the BMW CCA rebate program was unique, but perhaps not.
      12-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #24
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
if a $1000 rebate is the breaking point or a big issue then maybe don't buy one? I get it, they did something rather shady (BMW NA) but I'd expect nothing less, even so I'm still a BMWCCA member and enjoy the brand as a whole. I got my membership a while before this BMW. I know a lot of people are doing what you're describing so maybe BMW is catching on or trying to get member count up. Either way I get being annoyed but not much can be done unfortunately.
If you are an owner for a while then you get it. BMW makes a great driving vehicle but many of us have our history. Fuel pump failures, water pump failures, ABS hydros, on new cars weighs on peeps. I am still loyal and bought under a presumption with rules they clearly state. I can’t get the vehicle faster than they will give it to me. They have my deposit and my money. They know I am committed. In fairness, they should honor it for people who ordered before the change. It isn’t right to do that to customers. That’s all.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #25
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
I find it hard to believe they won't honor it though. I just checked their website and it still clearly states:

NEW UPDATE: Purchase a three-year membership or longer, and immediately meet the membership qualification for the Membership Reward Rebate Program!

If people bought the membership today based on the above, how can they change the terms suddenly? They would have to put a stop to the program by stating "Anyone who buys the membership after Jan 1st will no longer be eligible for the rebate immediately". There has to be a proper cut off.
Looks like the absolute cutoff was 17 Dec, according to the guidance from BMWCCA (per BMW NA, as TurtleBoy pointed out), and according to the original requirement to purchase and file within 15 days of joining BMWCCA. That's what should be reflected on their website, however, you technically could still get a rebate by joining, purchasing and filing on or before midnight (presumably) 31 Dec 2019. So you could be eligible immediately for a rebate until the end of the year - as long as you didn't wait 15 days to file - which is not clear in the website. Obviously doesn't work when ordering a car and waiting for delivery, unless you purchase it 6 months from 1 Jan 2020 (if you joined BMWCCA then).

Last edited by Paladin1; 12-20-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #26
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I was going to post something similar to $1,000 shouldn't sway your purchasing decision.

Are there other loyalty programs out there for Audi, Porsche, etc...? I was under the impression that the BMW CCA rebate program was unique, but perhaps not.
I think we all negotiate a price based on the bottom line to our pocket. I assume many of us looked at the Audi Q8, Porsche Cayenne, etc. and arrived at our decision for various reasons. I am simply saying that pulling the rug out of customers who already ordered and are awaiting delivery is shady.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #27
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Looks like the absolute cutoff was 17 Dec, according to the guidance from BMWCCA (per BMW NA, as TurtleBoy pointed out), and according to the original requirement to purchase and file within 15 days of joining BMWCCA. That's what should be reflected on their website, however, you technically could still get a rebate by joining, purchasing and filing on or before midnight (presumably) 31 Dec 2019. So you could be eligible immediately for a rebate until the end of the year - as long as you didn't wait 15 days to file - which is not clear in the website.
So it would be accurate to say if we don’t take delivery until after Jan. 1, then we are not eligible unless we ordered/renewed our membership 6 months prior to delivery? That is what they sent me email inferred.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #28
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Looks like the absolute cutoff was 17 Dec, according to the guidance from BMWCCA (per BMW NA, as TurtleBoy pointed out), and according to the original requirement to purchase and file within 15 days of joining BMWCCA. That's what should be reflected on their website, however, you technically could still get a rebate by joining, purchasing and filing on or before midnight (presumably) 31 Dec 2019. So you could be eligible immediately for a rebate until the end of the year - as long as you didn't wait 15 days to file - which is not clear in the website. Obviously doesn't work when ordering a car and waiting for delivery, unless you purchase it 6 months from 1 Jan 2020 (if you joined BMWCCA then).
Where is the Dec 17th cutoff? I can't seem to find anything on google... I really hope I didn't miss it by 3 days. The reason I held off was because I never got an allocation until today and wasn't sure if the dealer was playing any games.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #29
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Where is the Dec 17th cutoff? I can't seem to find anything on google... I really hope I didn't miss it by 3 days. The reason I held off was because I never got an allocation until today and wasn't sure if the dealer was playing any games.
The crappy part is I purchased before the change and it sounds like you did the same. However, we can’t get delivery immediately and the technical purchase date is when we take delivery so we are out of luck. It really feels they are not dealing with a change in rules properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #30
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I said 17 Dec because the rules - in 2019 and according to BMWCCA (BMW NA) - currently are that you need to purchase a 3 year membership AND purchase/file within 15 days of joining. That window closes 15 days from 17 Dec - on 31 Dec. After that, new rules (a/o 1 Jan 2020, again, per BMW NA) - 6 month wait after joining to purchase/file. At least that's what's been presented here.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #31
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
I said 17 Dec because the rules - in 2019 and according to BMWCCA (BMW NA) - currently are that you need to purchase a 3 year membership AND purchase/file within 15 days of joining. That window closes 15 days from 17 Dec - on 31 Dec. After that, new rules (a/o 1 Jan 2020) - 6 month wait after joining to purchase/file.
Got you. Although I actually don't think they even need to go by calendar year. They do have disclaimer that they can change the terms without prior notice at ANY TIME.

It's more of just karma at this point... if they do pull the plug without giving a grace period.

Oh well let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #32
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
So it would be accurate to say if we don’t take delivery until after Jan. 1, then we are not eligible unless we ordered/renewed our membership 6 months prior to delivery? That is what they sent me email inferred.
That would be my interpretation, although I'd certainly call BMW CCA to see if I could get clarification. Getting (or not) a $1,000 rebate wouldn't influence my purchase decision, but it's definitely better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #33
BBock727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I emailed BMWCCA today about their rebate program that many of us used or plan to use. I will take delivery of my X5 in Q1 of 2020 and planned on joining BMWCCA for the rebate. I was informed that you CANNOT get the rebate instantly anymore with a 3 year membership. Now, you have to do the 3 year membership AND have joined 6 months prior to taking delivery. This will go into effect starting January 2020. Way to screw over loyal customers BMWCCA.

Quote:
We just received new rules from BMW NA today for the 2020 program. You can no longer join and be eligible for a rebate right away. In 2020 they are saying you have to join for 3 years and then wait 6 months before buying a car to qualify.

If you are not currently a member and are purchasing in January, it looks like you will not be eligible for a rebate through our program.

Thanks,
BMW CCA
What does "loyal" mean if you are complaining about having to have a membership for 6 months before your new purchase to qualify for a rebate??
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #34
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That would be my interpretation, although I'd certainly call BMW CCA to see if I could get clarification. Getting (or not) a $1,000 rebate wouldn't influence my purchase decision, but it's definitely better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
I can’t argue any of that. It doesn’t make me less excited about my vehicle, but it is a shady move. I don’t think there are right ways and wrong ways to do things. This is the wrong way to make a change.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #35
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBock727 View Post
What does "loyal" mean if you are complaining about having to have a membership for 6 months before your new purchase for a rebate??
Loyal to me is proven by my over a decade of ownership of their brand. Loyalty is sticking with them despite some of their well known and documented class action lawsuits / recalls on previous models. They define me as loyal because they gave me the loyalty rebate.

Changing rules midstream on customers is dishonest. I don’t mind a rules change, but give current customers time to adjust. Maybe announce the new policy and note it goes into effect in 6 months. I already ordered and they have my money. I can’t go back and join 6 months into the past.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #36
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
What does "loyal" mean if you are complaining about having to have a membership for 6 months before your new purchase for a rebate??
Loyal to me is proven by my over a decade of ownership of their brand. Loyalty is sticking with them despite some of their well known and documented class action lawsuits / recalls on previous models. They define me as loyal because they gave me the loyalty rebate.

Changing rules midstream on customers is dishonest. I don't mind a rules change, but give current customers time to adjust. Maybe announce the new policy and note it goes into effect in 6 months. I already ordered and they have my money. I can't go back and join 6 months into the past.

You need to separate BMW brand loyalty from the BMW car club.

As you mentioned BMWNA offers loyalty cash incentives to all current BMW owners that are leasing or financing.

BMWCCA is a car club for BMW enthusiasts and community. As a benefit for being a BMWCCA car club due paying member, BMWNA offers a cash rebate to CCA members purchasing or leasing a new BMW.

Being a member of the car club is optional. Being both a loyal BMW customer and CCA member is a double bonus.

I'm guessing the membership drive with immediate eligibility for CCA rebate has probably been more successful than expected and lead to more rebates applications than BMWNA had expected.

Playing devil's advocate. BMW isn't changing the rule for current BMW loyal customers. You're a BMW customer and you received the loyalty incentive. They're changing the rules for prior and new BMWCCA members in 2020, so how does that affect you since you let your membership lapse?

For the majority of dues paying CCA members who keep up their membership and don't let it lapse, the change in eligibility is a nothing burger.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #37
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You need to separate BMW brand loyalty from the BMW car club.

As you mentioned BMWNA offers Loyalty cash incentives to all current BMW owners that are leasing or financing

BMWCCA is a car club for BMW enthusiasts and community. A benefit for being a BMWCCA car club due paying member, BMWNA offers a cash rebate to CCA members. Being a member of the car club is optional.

I'm guessing the membership drive with immediate eligibility for CCA rebate has been probably more successful than expected and lead to more rebates apps than BMWNA expected.

Playing devil's advocate. BMW isn't changing the rule for current customers. You're a BMW customer and you still received a loyalty incentive. They're rules for BMWCCA current and new CCA members 2020, so how does that effect you since you let your membership lapse?

For the majority of dues paying CCA members who keep up their membership and don't let it lapse, the change in eligibility is nothing burger.
I can’t argue the optional part. I won’t try. I am simply saying that changing the rules midstream is shady. Changing rules happens, but allow a grace to customers who played by the rules and ordered while the reward was in place. That’s it.

Obviously most of us can afford an expensive vehicle so this isn’t only about money. It is about honestly and fairness to customers. If we ordered under the current rules, the right thing to do is honor the rebate.

If CCA thinks this is the right way to treat enthusiasts re-entering the brand or new then so be it. I got the message loud and clear. My guess is others will feel equally disenfranchised.

Regardless, the info is here and others can at least go forward knowing the 2020 changes.

Last edited by 130FeetDeep; 12-20-2019 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 04:39 AM   #38
BBock727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:

Changing rules midstream on customers is dishonest. I don’t mind a rules change, but give current customers time to adjust. Maybe announce the new policy and note it goes into effect in 6 months. I already ordered and they have my money. I can’t go back and join 6 months into the past.
The BMWCCA is not BMW Group. "BMW CCA enjoys a strong, yet independent relationship with BMW AG and its BMW of North America subsidiary. We are a not-for-profit corporation governed by a nine-member elected board of directors —four national officers and five regional vice-presidents who serve the interests of our chapters. Each chapter is an independent corporation chartered by BMW CCA. Our headquarters is in Greenville, SC."
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #39
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think we all negotiate a price based on the bottom line to our pocket. I assume many of us looked at the Audi Q8, Porsche Cayenne, etc. and arrived at our decision for various reasons. I am simply saying that pulling the rug out of customers who already ordered and are awaiting delivery is shady.
I view the $1000 rebate a bonus. I don't negotiate with the dealer assuming I'm going to get $1000 from BMW NA via BMW CCA.

I understand the emotion of those caught by this change. That said, the change to a completely optional program of goodwill sponsored by BMW NA and BMW AG was communicated to us. I saw it. I suspect most did. It isn't BMW's fault if someone didn't read the notice.

Just my $0.02...
      12-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I understand the emotion of those caught by this change. That said, the change to a completely optional program of goodwill sponsored by BMW NA and BMW AG was communicated to us. I saw it. I suspect most did. It isn't BMW's fault if someone didn't read the notice..
I try to read all emails from BMWCCA and the Roundel but I can't recall seeing any information last Summer regarding the rule changes. I guess it doesn't really matter since those that weren't in the club wouldn't have gotten them.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      12-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #41
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
I understand the emotion of those caught by this change. That said, the change to a completely optional program of goodwill sponsored by BMW NA and BMW AG was communicated to us. I saw it. I suspect most did. It isn't BMW's fault if someone didn't read the notice..
I try to read all emails from BMWCCA and the Roundel but I can't recall seeing any information last Summer regarding the rule changes. I guess it doesn't really matter since those that weren't in the club wouldn't have gotten them.
https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate

Note this:

NEW UPDATE: Purchase a three-year membership or longer, and immediately meet the membership qualification for the Membership Reward Rebate Program!
      12-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

Note this:

That is the old rule, the new one is supposedly that you need to have a three year membership and wait 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #43
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:

Note this:

That is the old rule, the new one is supposedly that you need to have a three year membership and wait 6 months.
It's on their website - renew, get the screen shot of this, and make them honor their published commitment!
      12-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #44
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I just went to the BMWCCA website. Clearly states as of today 12/21/19- new update that if you purchase a 3 year membership you are IMMEDIATELY (underlined) eligible for the membership rebate program on a new vehicle purchase. Went through all the fine print, no cutoff or expiration date.

This is noted on both the BMWCCA page & the linked page they provide (below). I just printed off all the info which is date stamped & joined for 3 years. If they give me trouble, I'll cancel & dispute the charge. Expect them to honor what is shown.

The BMW CCA has announced a major update to the Membership Reward Rebate Program. Individuals who purchase a club membership of three or more years will now immediately qualify for the Membership Reward Rebate Program and may be eligible to receive a rebate of $250 to $1,500 back on the purchase or lease of a new or certified pre-owned BMW. Yes, that means you can now skip the old waiting period of 365 days and immediately apply for a rebate with this new option! This Corporate Rebate Program is offered to our members by BMW of North America.

Get the full details at bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate.
Appreciate 0