BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40d, BMW X1, MB GLA AMG

Drivers door squeaking...

New issue:

Do any of you have a similar problem? The driver's door squeaks horribly when driving slowly on large irregularities / slopes. Probably seals, but lubrication at a BMW dealer gives nothing (three attempts already)....

Any ideas how to resolve this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek_PL View Post
New issue: Do any of you have a similar problem? The driver's door squeaks horribly when driving slowly on large irregularities / slopes. Probably seals, but lubrication at a BMW dealer gives nothing (three attempts already)....

Any ideas how to resolve this problem?
That sounds like rubber door molding moving against a painted surface. The body of the car flexes when going over bumps, around corners and on uneven surfaces. The doors are not an integral body part, they are hinged on one end and only secured on the other end in the vertical middle by a lock. Therefore they don't move in complete unison with the car.

Have you or your dealer or any detail place by any chance waxed the areas of the door jam where the door molding touches? or have you used any sort of rubber protectorate on the door moldings themselves. If so, this will allow the rubber molding to move against its jam and the result would be what sounds like you have.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep

Do you think that the reason may be a ceramic coating on the car (although it was applied 5 months ago, still at the dealer)?

Does anyone have any idea what method could help?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think that the reason may be a ceramic coating on the car (although it was applied 5 months ago, still at the dealer)?

Does anyone have any idea what method could help?
First, you need to find out exactly what is causing it, then we can talk about solutions. Do you know what painters tape is? It usually blue or green and has a very light adhesion so it comes off easily and without leaving residue and the other side is normally somewhat slippery. You could experiment by putting this on your rubber molding/gasket all the way around the door(s). Go for a drive, if the noise is gone, then we know what it is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      09-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I have this problem. It's driving me nuts.

I've taken the X5 to the dealership, they kept it for four days, lubed the seals, worked the gummifledge in, etc., tried it in different temperatures, etc., and said they fixed it. It didn't help. Driving home from the dealership after four days it was still there. I've purchased gummifledge as well, and tried pulling back the plastic molding and lubricating in there. Doesn't help. To me, it sounds like the molding is creaking when flexing (I can press against the molding and make the same sound). The speaker cover also flexes and makes noise as well.

I've asked them to replace the molding and speaker cover but they told me they can't under warranty for noise. I'm about to purchase the parts myself.

The rest of the car creaks and rattles, but this drives me nuts because its in my left ear. I'm pretty much only enjoying driving this car if I turn up the volume on the stereo loud enough to drown out the creaks. That's fine half the time, but if I want to listen to a book or drive in silence, it's like a slow, aural torture.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
MrG05X5
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5

I have the same exact issues from all 4 doors (Assuming its from the doors)
it creaks and rattles at low speed. No idea how to fix it. Trying to get in touch with the dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok, here's my two cents and I could certainly be wrong but I had this happen to me and it was my own fault, so that's where my recommendations to find the cause comes from.

My wife's Golf diesel was a pretty quiet car until I decided to give it a good bath and detail. I waxed every bit of paint I could find and used something, I don't remember anymore what it was but it was some kind of rubber protector product, on all the door gaskets. You know the kind that is supposed to keep the rubber pliable. Her car was looking quite nice inside and out!

Then I noticed while driving it out of my driveway that there were noises never heard before. They sounding like someone rubbing a balloon against their hands or a wall, though more subdued. The noise only happened when going slow over uneven surfaces, like when entering or exiting a driveway, parking lot, etc. Ugh, If I rolled the windows down and grabbed the window frame and pushed up or down on it, hard, I could reproduce the noise exactly. What had I done?

The door gaskets are of course to seal out the environment but they are of a material that when pressed against the door sill, which is painted, the will normally not slide, they keep their grip while the door moves from normal body flex. However, if they lose their grip, they will rub and you will hear it. I believe this is what was happening.

I had my wife drive while I sat in the back seat and I could see the door frame gap width change as she drove around the block and in and out of our driveway and I could easily hear the noise at the door. Word of caution..do not put your finger in that gap while the car is moving in order to feel the gap width change

Like I said earlier, I could be wrong but I would bet this is what you guys are hearing. Its pretty common for a dealer, detail shop and owners to want to preserve and protect their car by waxing or using some other protectorate, both on the paint as well as the rubber gaskets around the car. Once done, its very very difficult to remove it and get the car back to normal. If this isn't the case and you know for sure no one has ever applied anything to your car, then its time to do some testing to see what is causing it. You can't fix it without knowing what's causing it, unless you are blindly lucky in which case you will never really know what you did

- Roll your windows down and with the car off and in a very quiet place, grab the door frame and move it aggressively in all directions. Listen for the sound and pay attention to the gap between the door frame and the car, you will want to see it change widths so you know you are moving the door.

- You can use the painters tape or pieces of paper to put between the door gasket and the car and close the door on the paper. Then grab the window frame and repeat the test or take the car around the block.

- All this applies to the rear hatch as well. Noises are strange as they normally originate away from where you think you hear them. Taking the car to the dealer may be an exercise in frustration for you and them and you'd be without your car for too long while they do little more than what you would do at home. You can talk with them though, its possible they might understand what you are referring to and be able to give you some advice...maybe.

I think this sort of thing is best dealt with at home by you and if you find the cause and its something wrong somewhere with the car, then you can take it to the dealer. Grab a couple beers, have a friend come over and go at it.
Appreciate 3
buze131.00
Tlon173.00
ladra17.50
      09-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep

I have taped all the seals with tape and I think I found those that are the reason for squeaking.
The vertical seals ("guides" of the glass) probably squeak - this is also confirmed by the lack of squeaking with the glass slightly lowered.
The problem disappears for a moment (for now for two days) after washing the glass with a glass cleaner (when spraying some liquid gets into the seal and probably "degreases" it).
I think the reason could be a detailing car washing and applying a ceramic coating...
We'll see what they will say at the dealer. They couldn't find a place of squeaking and a reason of it so far...
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      09-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

If we're talk about the same thing, the plastic molding that guides the glass, I think this is what is causing my problem too. I can push on it and make a similar squeak.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Interesting...are you saying that if you roll all the windows down and then drive slowly over uneven surfaces, the noise goes away? or is it too loud with the windows down to hear it?

Can you post a few pix of this plastic molding that guides the windows, showing where you believe the noise is coming from?

None of my BMW's windows come in contact with plastic, its always the felt-like material that they ride up and down in, same with my wife's GTi. All my testing was done with the windows fully closed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

This sounds less like squeaking and more like the soft-close mechanism malfunctioning in my opinion. I'd have it checked.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #12
Pete7_li
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

I have the same issue with my G05 and it seems to be more pronounced on hotter/more humid days. Took it to the dealer a few weeks ago, they kept it two days and I got the "couldn't duplicate the issue" response. It rained while they had the car and I think the moisture may have alleviated the problem when they had the car. The problem is now back, and I googled it and it seems to be fairly common among BMW cars. I bought this (Item and BMW Part #. below) after reading a whole bunch of posts and it seems to have worked for many folks. ECSTuning on Ebay seems to have the best price including shipping; other retailers charge $10-12 but add $5-10 for shipping; dealers sell them anywhere between $15-25. Just my two cents...
Gummi-Pflege 831510 - BMW (83-19-2-449-390)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7_li View Post
I have the same issue with my G05 and it seems to be more pronounced on hotter/more humid days. Took it to the dealer a few weeks ago, they kept it two days and I got the "couldn't duplicate the issue" response. It rained while they had the car and I think the moisture may have alleviated the problem when they had the car. The problem is now back, and I googled it and it seems to be fairly common among BMW cars. I bought this (Item and BMW Part #. below) after reading a whole bunch of posts and it seems to have worked for many folks. ECSTuning on Ebay seems to have the best price including shipping; other retailers charge $10-12 but add $5-10 for shipping; dealers sell them anywhere between $15-25. Just my two cents...
Gummi-Pflege 831510 - BMW (83-19-2-449-390)
Can you write back to let us know what you did with the gummipflege and the outcome?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Can you write back to let us know what you did with the gummipflege and the outcome?
Sure, it should be here in a few days; will let yall know how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, it should be here in a few days; will let yall know how it goes...
Got to thinking more about this, I've had gummipfledge for years, I used it on the rubber door gasket and am now wondering if that is what made mine noisy when the body flexed You may only want to put it on one door and see how that goes BTW, it reminds me of Vaseline with a nice built in sponge applicator. I used it on trunk and engine bay gaskets too.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #16
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got to thinking more about this, I've had gummipfledge for years, I used it on the rubber door gasket and am now wondering if that is what made mine noisy when the body flexed You may only want to put it on one door and see how that goes BTW, it reminds me of Vaseline with a nice built in sponge applicator. I used it on trunk and engine bay gaskets too.

Yeah, I have seen posts when I was researching this that some folks have said it either doesn't work, or have made it worse. Other folks have used everything from vaseline to armorall to WD-40 (bad idea). The BMW-branded gummipfledge seems to have gone away a few years ago, and it came back into production, supposedly. Anyway, this is the one I bought (seller picture). I'm going to clean the area with ethanol to degrease/remove the dirt, etc., then apply it; not holding my breath but guess I will see how it goes and/or more trips to the dealership...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I have seen posts when I was researching this that some folks have said it either doesn't work, or have made it worse. Other folks have used everything from vaseline to armorall to WD-40 (bad idea). The BMW-branded gummipfledge seems to have gone away a few years ago, and it came back into production, supposedly. Anyway, this is the one I bought (seller picture). I'm going to clean the area with ethanol to degrease/remove the dirt, etc., then apply it; not holding my breath but guess I will see how it goes and/or more trips to the dealership...
Since you're going to clean with ethanol, do that and then see if the noise goes away before applying the gummipfledge. Your end goal is to get rid of the noise, right? If the gummipfledge makes it worse, you'll have a tough time getting if off the surface. Also, you might want to clean the painted door jam that comes in contact with the door gasket. Use something safe for paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #18
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep

Guys,
here is the gasket that is probably the reason for my problem.

I also attach a link to the movie - the effect with the window closed and open.

As I wrote - for me, after spraying the glass and therefore also the seals with glass cleaner (ethanol!) so far there is silence. Today, as if I heard something, I will wash the window again - I will see if it has worked again.

My car had a ceramic coating applied, it was washed with wax a lot of times (most often at the dealer, because there were many visits ...) - maybe the gaskets were "greasy".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guys,
here is the gasket that is probably the reason for my problem. As I wrote - for me, after spraying the glass and therefore also the seals with glass cleaner (ethanol!) so far there is silence. Today, as if I heard something, I will wash the window again - I will see if it has worked again.

My car had a ceramic coating applied, it was washed with wax a lot of times (most often at the dealer, because there were many visits ...) - maybe the gaskets were "greasy".
The still pic you posted is a little hard to see what it really is, are you saying you used window cleaner to clean the inside and outside of your window and that made the noise go away when driving with the window up? What kind of material is in the frame that the window glass slides up and down in?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #20
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Hi all,

I have taken my X5 to the dealer this week because of this same issue.
They tested the car, confirmed the noise, and the solution they have given is to put some teflon tape in some critical points. They say it is not the rubber but rather the car door panels friction against body parts. They also told me this is a very common issue they are used to.
I will let you know the outcomes as soon as I get my car back later this week (hopefully).
Best!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPT View Post
Hi all,

I have taken my X5 to the dealer this week because of this same issue.
They tested the car, confirmed the noise, and the solution they have given is to put some teflon tape in some critical points. They say it is not the rubber but rather the car door panels friction against body parts. They also told me this is a very common issue they are used to.
I will let you know the outcomes as soon as I get my car back later this week (hopefully).
Best!
It would be great to see pix of where they put the teflon tape
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
Pete7_li
Private
Rep

Quote:
Since you're going to clean with ethanol, do that and then see if the noise goes away before applying the gummipfledge. Your end goal is to get rid of the noise, right? If the gummipfledge makes it worse, you'll have a tough time getting if off the surface. Also, you might want to clean the painted door jam that comes in contact with the door gasket. Use something safe for paint.
So an update with my X5 and the creaking noise, I cleaned the rubber seals (door and body) very carefully with ethanol and was quite surprised by how much debris/residue/dirt there was; I also polished then waxed the painted surfaces. Then I applied BMW-branded gummi-pfledge to the rubber seals then let it dry for about an hour with the X5 doors open and a fan running in the garage; I also applied Chemical Guys VRP to the hard plastic areas (window surrounds, etc.), probably overkill, but just in case. It got pretty warm in my area today (high 90s Farenheit) and the noise is gone at various speeds and road surfaces; we will see how long it lasts. As for the gummi-pledge itself, it seems the formulation has changed a bit; I think the previous version might have been a vaseline-like product in terms of consistency/viscosity; the one I got is a clear liquid with a sponge applicator. Fingers crossed the noise is gone...at least for a little while.
Appreciate 2
buze131.00