BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2024, 09:30 PM   #1
bqpham
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

2019-2020 X5 40i and 50i - High Mileage (Transfer Case, Oil Pump, etc.)

Hey All,

In the market for an X5. Specifically wanted M Sport, so a lot of my hits have been on 40i and a lot of 50i/M50i models. General consensus is the 40i more reliable. Looking to budget 40k and really prefer staying around 35k.

For those at 55k+ or those that purchased at this mileage, curious to see what issues others have ran into especially those that wrench on their own.

I've worked on cars for years, have access to a shop and a lift for everything. Mechanical stuff isn't an issue, but the annoying things to deal with i'm seeing:

Transfer Case (updated fluids seem to be a first step/potential fix)
Oil Pump on 2019 models (plastic impeller, hard to diagnose, engine out job)

Am I right in these are the main two to look out for? I believe transfer case you can check for noise, low speed or from a stop turning with shuddering. Oil pump i believe theres a test, but you need to drive the car HOT.

Electrical issues are probably the biggest "i don't want to touch that on these new cars" item i'm worried about.

Appreciate any input here. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 11:25 AM   #2
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqpham View Post
Hey All,

In the market for an X5. Specifically wanted M Sport, so a lot of my hits have been on 40i and a lot of 50i/M50i models. General consensus is the 40i more reliable. Looking to budget 40k and really prefer staying around 35k.

For those at 55k+ or those that purchased at this mileage, curious to see what issues others have ran into especially those that wrench on their own.

I've worked on cars for years, have access to a shop and a lift for everything. Mechanical stuff isn't an issue, but the annoying things to deal with i'm seeing:

Transfer Case (updated fluids seem to be a first step/potential fix)
Oil Pump on 2019 models (plastic impeller, hard to diagnose, engine out job)

Am I right in these are the main two to look out for? I believe transfer case you can check for noise, low speed or from a stop turning with shuddering. Oil pump i believe theres a test, but you need to drive the car HOT.

Electrical issues are probably the biggest "i don't want to touch that on these new cars" item i'm worried about.

Appreciate any input here. Thanks!
Just remember as German cars age parts don’t get cheaper they’re the same as a new car when looking at a German car out of warranty it’s never advisable to buy one Approaching 100,000 miles and over 100,000 miles never buy it . Because it’s going to be a restoration on frame, it’s going to nickel and dime you ask for parts weekly, The first few years of a new design is always a problem to . Your dealer is never your friend And most dealers can’t fix this kind of stuff because they’re only dealing with oil changes on newer cars so you really need to find a Indy shop that specializes in BMWs Foreign repair that sees these kind of problems and talk to them because it’s always gonna be cheaper on service at an Indy shop. I never go back to a dealer once the car is out of warrantyand I never take the car in for oil changes at a dealer you never know whether they’re changing it or not so I specifically either do it myself or have an end shop that I know that will do it Best of luck, my advice for people who don’t want to do maintenance / lots of repairs stay away from German and British made cars
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:00 PM   #3
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
To be totally honest, if electrical issues are your fear, then I wouldn't recommend this idea at all. That's what goes wrong on modern cars. You might have a few mechanical things here or there, but the consistent issues are all electronic.

I'm guessing that you're going to be not thrilled with the idea of spending thousands on paying others to troubleshoot and repair the vehicle. Personally, with that budget, I'd look at other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:12 AM   #4
bqpham
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
Just remember as German cars age parts don’t get cheaper they’re the same as a new car when looking at a German car out of warranty it’s never advisable to buy one Approaching 100,000 miles and over 100,000 miles never buy it . Because it’s going to be a restoration on frame, it’s going to nickel and dime you ask for parts weekly, The first few years of a new design is always a problem to . Your dealer is never your friend And most dealers can’t fix this kind of stuff because they’re only dealing with oil changes on newer cars so you really need to find a Indy shop that specializes in BMWs Foreign repair that sees these kind of problems and talk to them because it’s always gonna be cheaper on service at an Indy shop. I never go back to a dealer once the car is out of warrantyand I never take the car in for oil changes at a dealer you never know whether they’re changing it or not so I specifically either do it myself or have an end shop that I know that will do it Best of luck, my advice for people who don’t want to do maintenance / lots of repairs stay away from German and British made cars
To be fair, when I say i have access to a shop it is an indy shop. Also have friends who are BMW Master Techs and another at a germany indy shop, so it's not something where i'd be left in the dark. Concerning things are like iDrive failures, or things of that like which are more BMW dealer unique which can be annoying.

I've had german cars including my current Audi S4 at 130k+, but it always boils down to the make and model/engine for each generation and year. Appreciate the insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
To be totally honest, if electrical issues are your fear, then I wouldn't recommend this idea at all. That's what goes wrong on modern cars. You might have a few mechanical things here or there, but the consistent issues are all electronic.

I'm guessing that you're going to be not thrilled with the idea of spending thousands on paying others to troubleshoot and repair the vehicle. Personally, with that budget, I'd look at other vehicles.
Electrical issues from anything say pre 2017 aren't much of a concern, we have done our fair share at the shop of installing and working on electrical for E90 chassis cars and F8X. Tech has gotten really up there in 2019+ which is where my concern is.

And you are spot on, unless I can negotiate a dealer warranty for the items I prefer not to touch, definitely not thrilled by the idea of paying BMW dealer shop rate. I can definitely tap in with the two BMW tech's I know and their feedback on the B58 and X5 has been very good. More or less trying to get a consensus from other owners on here if there are really more common items.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      01-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

I'm on my second BMW, first was a 340i and now I have the x5 50i so I feel comfortable replying to your questions.

The b58 was by far the most reliable engine I have ever owned. I never had a single problem with it, ever. In fact, I never had a single problem with the 340i at all in 4 years and I drove the hell out of it, even tracked her once or twice. Miss her everyday. I've been in the 50i for over a year and can say that it is the most ENJOYABLE car I have ever owned. It does everything you ask it to do, impressively for what it is. It'll never be a porsche, don't get me wrong, but it is without a doubt the most comfortable, capable, SUV out there. I bought it with 48k on it and am pushing 68k currently. Like yourself I am decent with a wrench and have always worked on my own cars but I'd read enough horror stories regarding the n63 and how challenging it is to work on and shared your concerns regarding the electrical components so I made sure to buy an extended FULL COVERAGE warranty. it was $3800 for 5 years/50k through carmax when I purchased it.
When I got the car home I immediately changed all the filters, new spark plugs, new ignition coils and the car has been very good to me. During my first oil change I noticed a very slight leak under the car so I brought it to the dealer.... $7400 for a leaking intercooler and some other pipe. Warranty justified. That's the only issue I have had.

TLDR whichever one you get, shell out the extra cash for the extended warranty. Worst case scenario you never use it and your out a few grand. The piece of mind of not having to worry about anything is worth the cost in spades if you ask me.

And I know I'm biased but get the bigger the engine. Life is too short.
      01-09-2024, 05:16 PM   #6
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Early 40i will most likely need a oil pump in that B58, but only time will tell. This is also NOT an engine out job. The pump can be replaced with the engine in, but speciaty tools will be required (Engine top support). The signs will be iDrive not completing the measuring of oil. If you have a scan tool a tell tell sign is if the PSI during oil mesurement goes above 45 PSI for prolonged times. Mine would measure oil, but often the pressure would go to 47 and the test would end around 20%.

Transfer case it depends on how you drive. Ours is fine at 40K, and I plan to change the fluid soon. AWD systems need a tad more care than FWD/RWD. Tire diameter needs to remain relatively constant for the life of the tires. We also do not drive it like a sports car, we do not abuse it.
Appreciate 0