03-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

B58 Engine Question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I will take delivery of my X5 xDrive 40i Saturday and have question of some of you. I believe the in line 6 is the B58 engine. It should be a DGI (Direct Injection) engine. My question is this, what is BMW doing about carbon buildup on intake valves in such engines? Has BMW went forward and added the supplemental port injectors like other manufactures have to spray fuel on valve to clean them? Does this engine have a traditional PCV valve system? Is there already an oil catch can of sorts build into PCV system? Reason I ask is that last fall I tore down a 2013 Hyundai four-cylinder engine that had so much carbon build up, it burnt the right-hand valve on #2 cylinder about 20% was gone. DGI engines are going to have this problem regardless of who manufactures it. I certainly hope a B58 engine has some how been addressed to some degree.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
I will take delivery of my X5 xDrive 40i Saturday and have question of some of you. I believe the in line 6 is the B58 engine. It should be a DGI (Direct Injection) engine. My question is this, what is BMW doing about carbon buildup on intake valves in such engines? Has BMW went forward and added the supplemental port injectors like other manufactures have to spray fuel on valve to clean them? Does this engine have a traditional PCV valve system? Is there already an oil catch can of sorts build into PCV system? Reason I ask is that last fall I tore down a 2013 Hyundai four-cylinder engine that had so much carbon build up, it burnt the right-hand valve on #2 cylinder about 20% was gone. DGI engines are going to have this problem regardless of who manufactures it. I certainly hope a B58 engine has some how been addressed to some degree.
Every 3k miles buy a $10 bottle.
Look for "Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 12 oz" on Amazon.
End of story.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redX6owner View Post
Every 3k miles buy a $10 bottle.
Look for "Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 12 oz" on Amazon.
End of story.
That would do nothing to clean the valves if there isn't a supplemental port. It is also not needed if you already are using a Top Tier fuel as recommended.
      03-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That would do nothing to clean the valves if there isn't a supplemental port. It is also not needed if you already are using a Top Tier fuel as recommended.
Yeah...but there's never been a clear answer on whether the gas stations tap from the same "barrel" or not. And whether they put enough of their "supplementals" in the premium one.
Personally i do not trust them. They're all cheaters IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by redX6owner View Post
Yeah...but there's never been a clear answer on whether the gas stations tap from the same "barrel" or not. And whether they put enough of their "supplementals" in the premium one.
Personally i do not trust them. They're all cheaters IMHO.
I actually know someone who does this for a living!! Here is the answer, they all get the fuel from the same source per region. After that is delivered each parent brand puts the additives based on volume, then sends for distribution. The other version of this procedure is the additives are added directly to the distribution tanker before delivery that day. During delivery the driver will check water content on top of the fuel storage (at station) and will remove anything more than 16" of standing water. It's quite interesting, there is room for mistakes during that process and some smaller chains won't always pay for the additives each fill up but they are there. Fuel inspections also happen daily at different location not always the same one so to insure the mixtures are accurate for the customer (if advertised) and the correct amount was billed to the station. I'm positive around the nation there are different methods but hope this gives a bit of light on the topic.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
Mtn2Srf251.50
      03-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I actually know someone who does this for a living!! Here is the answer, they all get the fuel from the same source per region. After that is delivered each parent brand puts the additives based on volume, then sends for distribution. The other version of this procedure is the additives are added directly to the distribution tanker before delivery that day. During delivery the driver will check water content on top of the fuel storage (at station) and will remove anything more than 16" of standing water. It's quite interesting, there is room for mistakes during that process and some smaller chains won't always pay for the additives each fill up but they are there. Fuel inspections also happen daily at different location not always the same one so to insure the mixtures are accurate for the customer (if advertised) and the correct amount was billed to the station. I'm positive around the nation there are different methods but hope this gives a bit of light on the topic.
Cool, thanks.
So basically in some cases it may be up to the driver.

Personally i used to fill up my F16 with Shell premium for the first couple of years. Then one day i decided to pour regular...and did not notice any difference.
So now i just buy use those "bottles" to clear up the fuel system once in a while and stick with regular for both BMW and Raptor. Both X6 and the truck run great and i save a ton of money.

But if course this is a sensitive topic and there will never be a consensus. I get that. So this is just me recommending regular gas from a respective brand and a new gas station (so no foreign crap gets through from rusty tanks/pumps) plus this thing. I got a corp Shell card...so it's not that bad!
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      03-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I buy almost all of my fuel from Sam's Club mainly because of their price and the 5% back I get by using my Sam's credit card. They also sell LOTS of fuel so it's always fresh. I have asked several of the attendants what brand of fuel they buy. He said it's whoever gives them the best price. He has seen trucks from Shell, Exxon and several other haulers that deliver fuel to BP and Sunoco. I know Sam's is not listed on Top Tier so I asked the store manager. He said that Walmart is not willing to pay to be branded as Top Tier but their fuel is top quality. I have used it for over 15 years in Corvettes, BMWs, Audis and Mercedes and have never had an issue. When traveling I also try to buy fuel from a station that sells lots of fuel and is a modern station with tanks that hopefully don't contain a lot of water and crud. Also, I try to never fill up when a truck is filling the tanks. Seems that would stir up a bunch of crud lying on the bottom of tank. YMMV.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Well, we were leading off subject a bit… but I dug more and found this site that was recently published by a BMW Tuners. They actually have new article about how much HP the B58 can deliver for March 9, 2021. But in looking through the B58 maintenance pages, they do list a service of about 100K mile before having to walnut shell clean valves. they say the N54 and N55 were worse, BUT there is a problem of buildup. Go check it out. I will be installing a oil catch can I suppose.
BTW I do agree all fuels are blended local to areas no mater what name it has. Just the additives are brand specific. And I already use Techron in my other vehicles. But it will do anything but clean up injectors in a DGI environment.
https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-b58-faq/#:~...bon%20deposits.
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      03-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #9
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
Well, we were leading off subject a bit… but I dug more and found this site that was recently published by a BMW Tuners. They actually have new article about how much HP the B58 can deliver for March 9, 2021. But in looking through the B58 maintenance pages, they do list a service of about 100K mile before having to walnut shell clean valves. they say the N54 and N55 were worse, BUT there is a problem of buildup. Go check it out. I will be installing a oil catch can I suppose.
BTW I do agree all fuels are blended local to areas no mater what name it has. Just the additives are brand specific. And I already use Techron in my other vehicles. But it will do anything but clean up injectors in a DGI environment.
https://bmwtuning.co/bmw-b58-faq/#:~...bon%20deposits.
Great post...thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0